Jump to content

Attention Seeker (Clearwater Lights)


Recommended Posts

wbw6cos

Nice. 

 

 I have the Darlas mounted on the forks with the same programming for hazard flashes.  I also programmed the lights to strobe after hitting the Flash To Pass switch 3 times fast.   That feature alone is worth it!   I use that frequently on my 9.5 mile commute.   Even with my BMW LED auxiliary lights (mounted on engine guards) and the Darlas set up on the forks, people still like to pull out in front of me at 6 a.m..  There are a couple of intersections on my route (45 m.p.h.) that are notorious for drivers failing to yield.  They do it to cars, trucks, and such as the like.  The worst part is they do not try to accelerate.  Dayamm!   Traffic builds up later in the morning so these early folks like to keep going while traffic is light.   Every other day or so, I have to strobe a motorist getting ready to pull out.   It works.   Some do a second take and stop and others make the right hand turn as I approach and realize their mistake to ride the shoulder to slow or stop,   Amazing feature. 

 

It also helps seeking atttention with a right turn lane that is adjacent to a right lane that ends after the intersection,.   Sometimes folks like to jump out of line as I approach my turn lane.   That has worked for me a few times.  For the most part,  I just activate the highbeams to stay on, which makes the Clearwater lights go 100% for daytime attention seeking.

 

Thanks, in advance, for allowing me to high jack your thread.   :thumbsup:

Link to comment
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

 

 

Thanks, in advance, for allowing me to high jack your thread.   :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing hey our experiences. I’ll program the flash to pass feature. 

Having had a Darla set up on my RT, my belief is that the extra lights do help. Of course, I always approach other traffic remembering the fact that motorists often fail to see fire engines with multiple strobes and sirens blaring.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Bill_Walker
On 6/4/2021 at 2:30 AM, wbw6cos said:

Every other day or so, I have to strobe a motorist getting ready to pull out.   It works. 

I just use the SMIDSY maneuver (see the Ride Well subforum).  It, too, works.  Never hurts to have another tool in the toolbox.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
wbw6cos

I agree Bill.  I have been using that method for years.  In fact, I have a different name for it:  Crazy Ivan.   Yeah, like from the movie.

 

Whenever I see a vehicle on a side street gettng ready to pull out, I perform my Crazy Ivan manuver; it gets very aggressive at times.  For the most part, it works for me.  I am a strong believer that the human eye is better at detecting movement, specifically, side-to-side across the field of vision.  My strobing the lights is, more or less, a preventative measure from a longer distance away.   Ususally, right after I hit the strobes, I am in the process of pulling a Crazy Ivan.

 

I think for the most part, my Crazy Ivan manuver causes motorists to stop and think "WTF is this fool trying to do??  OMG, I better let him pass."  OR words to that effect.  HA

 

On a side note, my 2000 model R1200C does NOT have Clearwater Lights that I can strobe, but does have Skene Design LED's on the forks, with amber (2 modules each side) AND white (1 module each side.)  I have them set to conspicuity flicker, which is a tremendous tool for the SMIDSY scenarios.

 

Cheers!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
RTinNC

Me like!!   I have Darlas on both my bikes that do the same.  But no Billie ... but now you have me thinking !!   

 

Also considering moving up to Ericas on my GS for no reason other than I like them.  Dealer tells me I can just unplug the Darlas and plug in the Ericas so may shop the Clearwater booth in Great Falls!  

Link to comment
Bill_Walker
On 6/6/2021 at 1:42 PM, wbw6cos said:

On a side note, my 2000 model R1200C does NOT have Clearwater Lights that I can strobe, but does have Skene Design LED's on the forks

I've got the amber Skenes on my KLX250S.  Not much alternator output there, so they were a good compromise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Dave Stephens
On 6/3/2021 at 9:15 PM, Mike said:

Hazard flasher alert mode with Clearwater Ericas and Billie brake light…

 

F062F47C-193F-4D79-B0C2-6593231CF33A.MOV 29.29 MB · 19 downloads

Thanks for posting Mike.  I have Ericas on my 2015 RT and know without a doubt they've saved my bacon multiple times. Where's the best place to find programming instructions for this and other possibilities?  I see the installation manual on Clearwater's site but don't readily see programming options.  

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
RandyShields
4 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Thanks for posting Mike.  I have Ericas on my 2015 RT and know without a doubt they've saved my bacon multiple times. Where's the best place to find programming instructions for this and other possibilities?  I see the installation manual on Clearwater's site but don't readily see programming options.  

 

Thanks!

:18: Totally agree.  Was VERY uncomfortable on the new to me RT with no auxiliary lights.  Once I put the Darlas with the amber covers on, all was good.  I knew cars could see me and was much more comfortable riding.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
wbw6cos
4 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Thanks for posting Mike.  I have Ericas on my 2015 RT and know without a doubt they've saved my bacon multiple times. Where's the best place to find programming instructions for this and other possibilities?  I see the installation manual on Clearwater's site but don't readily see programming options.  

 

Thanks!

 

 

Here you go for CANopener manual   Have fun!!

 

By the way, that tone of amber is quite possibly the best color out there.  There is nothing like that color light on the road so it catches your attention.   I saw a car with the same colored auxiliary lights, low on the bumper, and that drew my eyes to them straight away.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 6/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I've got the amber Skenes on my KLX250S.  Not much alternator output there, so they were a good compromise.

I think the Skenes are a good option for those who don’t need to augment their light output. I have them on my RT. They have a unique flicker rate that’s visible when the lights outside your central field of vision, but disappears when viewed straight on. I’ve tested it and it works. https://www.skenelights.com/conspicuity-flicker

  • Like 2
Link to comment
MikeB60

I was speaking with a local Motor Cop yesterday at the gas station when I noticed he had fork mounted Clearwaters on his Harley police bike. He said it was a fight but they finally got the city to agree to install the lights.  He said they really like the "triangle of light" during the day and they make a huge difference at night. I think it was tax dollars well spent!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Dave Stephens
On 6/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, wbw6cos said:

 

 

Here you go for CANopener manual   Have fun!!

Thanks so much!

On 6/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, wbw6cos said:

 

By the way, that tone of amber is quite possibly the best color out there.  There is nothing like that color light on the road so it catches your attention.   I saw a car with the same colored auxiliary lights, low on the bumper, and that drew my eyes to them straight away.

 

Link to comment
wbw6cos
On 6/17/2021 at 10:28 AM, MikeB60 said:

I was speaking with a local Motor Cop yesterday at the gas station when I noticed he had fork mounted Clearwaters on his Harley police bike. He said it was a fight but they finally got the city to agree to install the lights.  He said they really like the "triangle of light" during the day and they make a huge difference at night. I think it was tax dollars well spent!

 

I meant to ask you Mike, but was that contact with a LEO voluntary?  :3:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

On my 2021 RT, I got Ericas mounted under the front mirrors and Billy Jr on the rears with Skene Lights around the rear plate. Fernando MotoReflective on the rear .  Looks very safe.  Genies for the front turn signals too.  

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...