IGNORED

heat management

steveg

Does anyone have any real world experience with the heat management on the R1250RT compared to the R1100RT, I'm looking to replace my RT1100RT with a R1250RT and am wondering if the heat management on the new bikes is as good as the old ?

@Ron-M posed a very similar question in THIS THREAD.   He put some deflectors on, which I believe helped a little, but he would be better suited to answer how well it really works for him in that Florida Climate.   :whistle:

As for my RT, I do not really have any issues with the heat from the engine.   Ron rode my bike for comparison and I think he sensed that it was similar heat to his, although he had the dealer check into his some more to see if anything mechanical was amiss..

I was always running hot in very warm weather with my 1996 R1100RT and on numerous occasions I had to either pull over in traffic and let it cool down or get to a road where I could get some speed to get airflow thru the radiator.  My next bike was a 2013 R1200RT and never had a problem with overheating, no matter how hot,  I now have a 2021 RT1250RT and have not had any issues at all.  The fan does some on  from time to time, but engine/water temps are never an issue, although I have not yet experienced any 90+ degree ambient temps.......

Rode my 1200RTW across Nevada and Utah deserts at 80+ mph and 100-110 degree heat. No problem. Until Vegas. 0 mph and 110F. Still no problem, though.

I think you need to be a very long legged or large person to get in the way of the radiator ducts on the WC RTs. As long as you stay out of THAT airflow, you will have no heat issues at all. I changed up from an '06 to a '21 RT and no issues, not even in stationary traffic if you don't sit in it for too long.

realshelby

I will assume the 2021 will have similar "heat" characteristics to the Wethead/Shifthead previous generation. 

Coming off my 2004 Oilhead RT, the heat management is FAR better on the new style RT. No furnace air coming up around the steering area! You can feel hot air coming out of the radiator....IF you stick your leg out far enough. But you have to go out of your way to do that. Best bike I have owned about not having hot air coming off the engine bother me in hot weather. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 5:07 PM, steveg said:

Does anyone have any real world experience with the heat management on the R1250RT compared to the R1100RT, I'm looking to replace my RT1100RT with a R1250RT and am wondering if the heat management on the new bikes is as good as the old ?

My 2019 R1250RT has the best heat management of any motorcycle I have ever owned. I've never owned a R1100RT but I think the heat management on the R1100RS was likely better than the RT because there was much less fairing to contain the heat. My feet could get quite toasty on hot days riding the airheads.

My previous bikes:

1977 R100/7

1984 R100RS

1985 K100RS (the worst by far)

1993-2001 R1100-R1150RS (3 in total)

2005 R1200RT (2nd best)

All these heat issues were corrected since they came out with the water cool system.  My old 2015 worked perfect during hot days.  I'm looking forward to have the same on my new 2021. 

fourteenfour

Having had nearly every modern R11* I really never notice the heat and rarely will the fans push any back at me in stop and go. Nothing like my good old ball baking 2003 K1200RS...