IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) Sparta, NC 2021

Indy Dave

I have a bunch of 2011 RT parts that I am bringing.  I will be highly motivated to sell them so I don't have to bring them back home.  I take cash, cigars and bourbon, :18:

This might be the first annual FART Swap Meet.  Or swap fart meet.  I will have a table or two so bring your stuff as well.

Here is a list of everything.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TSConver said:

I have a bunch of 2011 RT parts that I am bringing.  I will be highly motivated to sell them so I don't have to bring them back home.  I take cash, cigars and bourbon, :18:

This might be the first annual FART Swap Meet.  Or swap fart meet.  I will have a table or two so bring your stuff as well.

Here is a list of everything.  

I will add a oil filter, crush washer and filter wrench from my 2002 RT to the list.

Also if it fits in the top case, a BMW Savannah jacket

Any money from the transaction (small as it might be) will be donated to the event.

• Like 1

To assist anyone that might want to observe either TechDay sessions, here is the approximate schedule for Thursday and Friday.

If you want to see some aspect of the 12k Service on WetHeads, (Thursday R1250RT and Friday R1200RT) this is the sequence of that service:

If you are doing the group ride with Bernie, you may want to do some of the ride and some of the TechDay session.

Returning to the Alleghany Inn is always in your hands, just have the Inn as a destination on your GPS and occasionally activate that route and see when you would get back...usually with the fastest route as default.

My plan is to start the work about 0930-1000 each day so that folks that want to watch can have a breakfast and still be able to finish before dark.

My sequence for doing the TechDay on both Thurs and Friday will be:

1) Remove lower fairings to access oil filter and drain engine oil

2) Remove all the central fairings up over the fuel tank to access the air filter and change it

3) Replace central fairings back down to the cylinders which will be worked on later

4) Remove panniers and muffler for access to remove rear wheel

5) Drain final drive and remove rear caliper so the final drive can swing down

6) Open rear boot and separate final drive from driveshaft

7) Lube drive splines and boot lips then reconnect final drive

8) Fill final drive with lube

9) Service rear brake caliper and pads, clean rotors

10) Install SpeedBleeders and bleed rear brake

11) Install rear wheel and muffler

Approximate point in process for 30-45min lunch break

12) Remove and service both front calipers, pads and rotors

13) Install front SpeedBleeders and bleed front brakes

14) Remove both LH and  RH spark plugs and valve covers to access cams/valves

15) Install TDC tool and lock engine at TDC for cam timing check/adjustment

16) Check valve clearance on cylinder that is at TDC

17) Remove cam bearing block to record all shim thickness and adjust as needed

18) Rotate engine so remaining cylinder is at TDC and do steps 15, 16, 17

19) Remove all speciality cam/valve/TDC tools

20) Replace spark plugs, valve covers and clean up cylinders

21) Add engine oil 

22) Connect GS-911, scan bike, reset service reminder

23) Replace lower engine fairings

24) Complete BMW service documentation for warranty 

If you are just interested in the Cam timing and valve adjustment on the engine, I estimate that I'll be getting to that around 1400-1500 in the afternoon...just a guess as I never know if there will be a slowdown at any point.

FYI…I will not be at the 2022 START.

0E5F37E0-574A-4512-AAE5-E204FDF53545_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 4

Did line items 5 and 6 last evening then realized I didn't have the boot lip lubricant. :4317: ...... scrambling to find something today so I can put it back together.

Your 12k service video is priceless (as are all your videos) :18:

• Like 2

Urgent Update:

By mistake I have included a un-paved section of road in Route “5 S Loop 121m”

I will redo the route as soon as possible and post a new link for that route only.

Sorry about the trouble.

PS: here is the link to the corrected route: 

5 S Loop 121Fuxed

Edited by Bernie
Added link for repaired route
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Bernie said:

By mistake I have included a un-paved section of road in Route “5 S Loop 121m"

Thanks Bernie.  Loved Ken, but he would just let us find and deal with those on our own.  How long is the unpaved section?  If short, I will not bother to download the update.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

So, is it fixed or still fuxed?  Enquiring minds.....  :5146:

Try it and you find out. 
It is typo, after 625 miles of back roads. 

Probably!  When I was in the Army I wouldn't let my Soldiers say rain.  We would call it the R word, liquid sunshine, or something else.  One mention of rain and we were doomed!

20 minutes ago, Bernie said:

it’s about 1.7 miles nice gravel dirt with a switch back. We did it yesterday on 2 RT’s.  It’s included with the GS routes

Thanks.  Agree, very doable on any bike.  Appreciate the head's up, but will leave the original route as is.

Hey .... just figured I'd post here ... if anyone has a cancellation a buddy and his wife are looking to come up for just Friday night.  Yeah .... he's not a planner like me :dontknow:

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Hey .... just figured I'd post here ... if anyone has a cancellation a buddy and his wife are looking to come up for just Friday night.  Yeah .... he's not a planner like me :dontknow:

We do have a few rooms open - they are being held until Monday - Act now!

EDIT: As of yesterday 1 x king on 2nd floor; Single queen upstairs, and 2 double queen rooms in the conference center.

Edited by Indy Dave
Added room count
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

We do have a few rooms open - they are being held until Monday - Act now!

EDIT: As of yesterday 1 x king on 2nd floor; Single queen upstairs, and 2 double queen rooms in the conference center.

Perfect he snagged the king.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thinking of leaving Tuesday at noon. 

Akron Ohio to Sparta - I-77 south will be all rain the entire day Wednesday.

If it was just myself I wouldn't mind. It's the precious cargo sitting behind me that I want to protect.

1 hour ago, MachineJoe said:

If it was just myself I wouldn't mind. It's the precious cargo sitting behind me that I want to protect.

I was thinking similar thoughts but moving to Thursday.   If Wednesday really is a washout then it does not make a lot of sense to head up Wed.  only to ride in the rain up to Sparta.   But Thur through Sunday look to be near perfect. :18:

• Like 3

Leaving early tomorrow  morning. Looks like I'll hit some rain once I get close to Sparta. As some would say on here , and you know who you are, bike needs a good washing anyway

• Like 1

Forecast is 100% rain on Tuesday and 80% on Wednesday in Sparta so I am putting on the rain gear and riding from NJ to Northern VA on Tuesday and then to Sparta on Wednesday.  Hope that Thurs-Mon forecast stays sunny 

• Like 2

it looks like I'll be out for this trip also I've got issues at home that I need to deal with . my hotel room will be available as I just canceled this morning. Here's hoping that I get to see you all in the spring

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I was thinking similar thoughts but moving to Thursday.   If Wednesday really is a washout then it does not make a lot of sense to head up Wed.  only to ride in the rain up to Sparta.   But Thur through Sunday look to be near perfect. :18:

I think the plan would be to ride up here in the rain, and then ride these great roads Thursday Friday and Saturday.

What's a little rain among friends?

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are in full force scouting roads and riding in the rain if need be. @DaveCinNO
rode 1100 miles to join us, and over 600 of that was in the rain. :revit:

And if we can do it.....:wave:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I think the plan would be to ride up here in the rain, and then ride these great roads Thursday Friday and Saturday.

What's a little rain among friends?

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are in full force scouting roads and riding in the rain if need be. @DaveCinNO
rode 1100 miles to join us, and over 600 of that was in the rain. :revit:

And if we can do it.....:wave:

What is this rain you speak of? 

• Haha 1
On 9/20/2021 at 12:32 PM, MachineJoe said:

Joe - 

I'm waiting until Thursday morning to meander down from Columbus. Taking a more leisurely route with more things to see so my SO will have more fun than just freeway. (And avoid the toll booths in WV!)

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Route Updates!

Due to the current and expected weather for Wednesday some routes may be a little tricky.

They are expecting high winds and lots of rain today and tomorrow.

One word of caution about the route to Paint Bank Restaurant. It has a section of very old and rough terrain with lots of switch backs.

It is a little challenging to ride in normal conditions, but with the expected weather it may not be advisable to ride with a non GS type bike.

I will have a alternative route by Wednesday evening.

Safe travels to all and the BBR Gang is looking forward to see you all in Sparta at FART 2021!

New link for revised #8 route to Paint Bank, VA

New 8 N Paint Bank 149m Ver2

• Like 1

**ADMINISTRIVIA**

We're looking forward to seeing you all here very shortly! There's been a few early arrivals today.  :18:

1) Meet & Greet and GPS questions and Bernie's ride group will meet in the conference room Wed at 8pm. The tents will not be set up until Thursday.

2) We have use of the conference room for the duration of our event. Feel free to use it, keeping in mind there may be a brief event meeting held there.

3) There will be a few announcements posted in the office

4) Please remember to sign-in on the sign -in sheet and answer the questions

5) Remember to be thinking of your BackRoad Bumbler stories to be shared Friday at dinner. Winner is awarded a traveling prize.

6) We'll also have route outlines posted in the office.

56522133_SpartadinnerSept21.thumb.jpg.040958cdd1f22f009a0579a1e925b462.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave

708864828_ART2021logotransparentR1.jpg.459e8da193a643588f416c3192c9bc10.jpg

In addition to our usual and highly competitive Friday Dinner Door Prize Contest, this year Boxflyer  has donated this compact ratchet set! For those interested in making this set their very own,  there will be a second set of questions that will serve as your entry to win this kit.

24458616_Screenshot(154).thumb.png.5fac05ae45135f9b2291301380df2d02.png

Good Luck!

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

708864828_ART2021logotransparentR1.jpg.459e8da193a643588f416c3192c9bc10.jpg

In addition to our usual and highly competitive Friday Dinner Door Prize Contest, this year Boxflyer  has donated this compact ratchet set! For those interested in making this set their very own,  there will be a second set of questions that will serve as your entry to win this kit.

24458616_Screenshot(154).thumb.png.5fac05ae45135f9b2291301380df2d02.png

Good Luck!

WOW ... that is a very nice gesture for sure.  Can't thank Brad enough for all he does to support this group. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Should be there between 2 and 3.

20210922_113037.thumb.jpg.8641231b893d98b8ae2f81eb83ad34e0.jpg

What is that thing the bikes are strapped onto?   Looks like a trailer but they are BMW's so that can't be.  Please advise. 

• Haha 1