IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) Sparta, NC 2021

Indy Dave

18 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Who is doing pizza for Thursday?  Want to see what options they have for my wife?

Please see you pms.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:44 PM, Boxflyer said:

I'm bringing my NoMar Tire changer and lift to FART in Sparta.

I have about 6 sets of new tires, but if you need some installed and balanced while in Sparta, better buy them and let me know.

There will also be Cam Timing and Valve check Tech Sessions. 

One each for the "Classic" WetHead as well as the ShiftCam WetHead.

Let me know if anyone wants anything special done to their bikes.

Brad 

Hi Brad I have just now seen your post about your tire swap(our computer has been down)and I am interested in a pair if you can let me know and will purchase ahead of time or pay cash at the rally . I am curious what tires you will have available for my r1250 rt? It was fun to see your skill at the Start rally and I am hoping to maybe buy one of the less expensive Cycle Hill models

21 minutes ago, Krid said:

Hi Brad I have just now seen your post about your tire swap(our computer has been down)and I am interested in a pair if you can let me know and will purchase ahead of time or pay cash at the rally . I am curious what tires you will have available for my r1250 rt? It was fun to see your skill at the Start rally and I am hoping to maybe buy one of the less expensive Cycle Hill models

Hello,

My "current" favorite tire is the Bridgestone T-32GT for both front and rear.  The mount easier than Dunlop RoadSmart 3 on the rears, don't cup as much as Pilot Road 4 on the fronts, and have excellent feedback when pushed hard, especially on mountain curvy roads where there are sometimes sandy patches in the corners.

They are also reasonably priced at about $300 plus tax depending on where you live.

The Dunlop RoadSmart3 is my all-time favorite rear, but is a real bugger to mount because its sidewalls are soooooo stiff.  A set of RS3 are on sale now at Chaparral Moto about $265 plus tax.  https://www.chapmoto.com/search/?q=dunlop roadsmart iii

I had a set of Continental Motion (ContiMotion Economy) tires on my 2016 R1200RT when I was rear ended/totaled up in VT at the beginning of Aug.  I had 1000 miles on them, and they were just fine...and CHEAP! (inexpensive)

They are now at Chaparral for about $200 for the front and rear set.

I'd prefer that you buy and ship to Sparta whatever you want, and I will mount and balance them for whatever you think you want to put in a tip jar...I don't drink, so beer money is meaningless to me.

I'm bringing some tires along, but only sizes appropriate for 1200 and 1250 street bikes (RT/RS/R) nothing for GS/GSA or anything before HexHeads.

1 Dunlop RoadSmart 3 Rear

2 sets of Bridgestone T32-GT (FR and Rear)

1 set of ContiMotion (FR and Rear)

1 set of Michelin Road5 GT (FR and Rear)

Brad

PS.  Whatever tire changing I do for anyone, I don't dispose of your old tires...that will be up to you...sorry, they cost $$ me at home to get rid of them.

6758546B-D7A9-4214-863C-BB76249BB35F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

Bring a buddy ..., Doug Seefus who will be arriving Thursday both of us are in for the Friday dinner if not too late 

I’ll be arriving Wednesday 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Bring a buddy ..., Doug Seefus who will be arriving Thursday both of us are in for the Friday dinner if not too late 

I’ll be arriving Wednesday 

Great, always room for a few more at the Inn, and you're still in time for Friday Dinner!

@Krid
you can have your tires shipped to the hotel in Sparta. Just give them a heads up and they'll hold them till you arrive.

• Like 1

I'm driving my truck down from Rhode Island with 4 guys and trailering 3 bikes and "stuff".  I don't have a bike to ride this time, I'll just be wrenching.

"Stuff" --- bike lift, air compressor, NoMar tire changer, rolling tool box, 6 sets of tires, and enough parts to do 2 complete 12k services, several brake jobs, tents and tables, and all the stuff that the GS-911 can do.

Sorry I don't have much room left this time...maybe the 2022 FART for me.  

I know I'm already not going to be able to attend the 2022 START due to a conflict.

Brad

...I "think" I have a 2019 R1250RT...there are some issues with transferring the proper paperwork, so it will sit in my garage until...

They say it's like taking a "crap"...the job's not done until the paperwork is complete!

• Thinking 1

Hey Brad you would be more than welcome to take mine out also for a spin after I scrub in the new skins. I can assure you once you get that paperwork figured out you are going to love your new 1250 RT

Thanks you guys, it will be easier to just do the wrenching, which I enjoy, rather than drag along all my riding gear for just a joy ride or 2.  I've had lots of riding down in the Appalachians, as well as all of the states, so I'll be just fine enjoying your company and tales of the twisties that Bernie has laid out.

This is in 2019 when I hit all 48 "lower" states in about 6 months.

C297F25D-6D03-4FD4-BFAD-12C1312CFD80_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 4

Well I think my plans just changed. Going to hang ouy Thursday for the tech session as just traded my rt for a 2016 r1200gsa.   Guess I am a wethead now.

Here is a picture. Get early next week after they so all annual maintenance.

Screenshot_20210910-193745_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 3

Tech Day Sessions will be:

Thursday 9/23---R1250RT ShiftHead

Friday 9/24---R1200RT WetHead "Classic"

Tires, brakes, GS-911 any other times.

I've revised my departure to now leave Sparta on Sunday 9/26 vs Sat, so I'm available for other "stuff".

Brad

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Great, always room for a few more at the Inn, and you're still in time for Friday Dinner!

@Krid
you can have your tires shipped to the hotel in Sparta. Just give them a heads up and they'll hold them till you arrive.

I’m a newbie and late to join in.  Is there a registration for FART?  I’m heading down from NJ and planning to get there late Tuesday or early Wednesday.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

Please go to Page 1 where all the particulars for this event have been continually updated and revised so you don't have to scan thru all the posts to find the pertinent info.

Quick answer--no registration, but IndyDave will add your name to the list of attendees shortly, now that you've said when you plan to arrive.

Hotel/Inn reservations are directly with the facility, so make all arrangements with them at the Alleghany Inn.

If you plan on joining us for the Friday meal, you need to pay IndyDave by 9/17 so the food can be ordered correctly, this will also put you on that list.

Welcome and hope you enjoy the incredible routes provided and you will certainly meet some new friends.

Brad

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, JSCOTT said:

I’m a newbie and late to join in.  Is there a registration for FART?  I’m heading down from NJ and planning to get there late Tuesday or early Wednesday.  Thank you. 

Good evening JSCOTT. 
here is a link to the ride for Thursday:

Group ride

• Like 1

Welcome JSCOTT! Happy to have you aboard! Even though I'm currently on the  lamb   lam :ohboy:, I can still come up for air and pop up the periscope to have a quick look see. @TSConver - with your Water-Cooler Bike purchase, your Team Camhead Membership Application has been suspended. Didn't even last a year! :stir: 

We're all holding our breath and hoping @twistyguy will be able to make an appearance.

There's still time for some more to join us, so come on down and enjoy!

:5147:** Just a reminder to get your meal reservations and funds in if you haven't already! **  :old:

As of Sept 10th:

1301192656_SpartadinnerSept8sm.thumb.jpg.758803ffdffeae985b1b58e711a80a4a.jpg

1396113231_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg1finalaug14.thumb.jpg.f19fd18aae57a2e6e5b97e3bd821152d.jpg

929417134_Whosgoingpg2sparta2021Sept5.thumb.jpg.c1653068d0e3bf7b7a24cb85238bce60.jpg

1115749650_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg3Sept12.thumb.jpg.73b1019d090171ce3ab6b8eaf745240d.jpg

• Thinking 1
17 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Even though I'm currently on the lamb :ohboy:, I can still come up for air and pop up the periscope to have a quick look see

The Witness Protection Program being more lenient nowadays.

Terry

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, terryofperry said:

The Witness Protection Program being more lenient nowadays.

Terry

Out on the LAM.... Fixed it for me :ohboy:      I was not on or near a lamb :computer:

• Haha 1

Well….  I’d SAY tick tock, but looks like I’ve been banned since my name’s no longer on the “Arriving Wednesday” list 🤣

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, TN_R11_Girl said:

Well….  I’d SAY tick tock, but looks like I’ve been banned since my name’s no longer on the “Arriving Wednesday” list 🤣

I'll on vacation. In remote areas. I have a few files with me, and  my laptop. I'm peddling as far as I can. Looking forward to seeing you Shannon.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, TN_R11_Girl said:

I think that is just a fat fingered event by our estimate chief in charge.

Unfortunately he is on a remote island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and has to rely on pedal power for electricity and doves for communication with the main land.

You are always welcome at these events and I am looking forward to catching up with you again.

:wave:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

New tires, new oil, new battery and brakes inspected. The bike is ready for FART 21, now I have to get ready. :5200:

343D13CD-4BA4-4643-94B9-9DC2AF2502DE.thumb.jpeg.2d69ea08099ca1201aaff3e70cabc566.jpeg

I need to make up my mind on which bike to ride up.  The big girl is checked out and ready to roll but if I decide to ride the GS I'll need to mount up some tires and take a good look at the brakes. 

Definitely excited this will be my first FART since Ellijay, well kind of!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I'll on vacation. In remote areas. I have a few files with me, and  my laptop. I'm peddling as far as I can. Looking forward to seeing you Shannon.

Whoop Whoop! 🥰

• Like 1

For anyone interested in adding Ilium Bar Backs to either a R1200RT WetHead or the R1250RT ShiftHead, I purchased the install tool needed to do this install correctly.

Ilium 30-500 Bar Backs

I just installed a set of these on "PorkChops" bike in about 30 minutes and can do the same while at FART.

There is an option to RENT or PURCHASE the special tool for this job, but you don't need to do either since I own the tool.

• Like 5
On 9/10/2021 at 7:30 PM, TSConver said:

Well I think my plans just changed. Going to hang ouy Thursday for the tech session as just traded my rt for a 2016 r1200gsa.   Guess I am a wethead now.

Here is a picture. Get early next week after they so all annual maintenance.

Screenshot_20210910-193745_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It is home tonight. Will get some pictures up of it.  It rides really nice. Not sure where it has been all my life but I am in love with it.

• Like 3

Here's your chance to save me from sending you a nagging PM or text :old:to remind you about dinner! Save us both time - act now! No really! :4617:  

Friday Group Dinner: 6:30pm at the hotel.

34486944_2021FARTSpartaeventdetailsR5.thumb.jpg.c3405ef2899fdd126ffdd28244c8b094.jpg

As of 1pm Sept 16th:

1962879747_Sept16.thumb.jpg.a99048c0cd205a67772da3a5adff43db.jpg

• Like 2