Jump to content

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) Sparta, NC 2021


Indy Dave

Recommended Posts

Lowndes

In - Wed thru Sun

 

No more downstairs rooms available in the main area but they do have some on the "Conference Hall" available.

 

Sparta is GREAT riding country.  Glad we're going there!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

actually Dave, you make a good point.  Even if the bike is not ready, I will most likely drive up.  Sparta was awesome last time.  so IN, for Thursday arrival.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
Indy Dave
25 minutes ago, TN_R11_Girl said:

She’s baaaaack!  IN Wed-Sun 😁💕

WooHoo! Been since Blairsville!!!

 

 

Link to comment

So my bike was totaled 

got paid today 

so shopping starts next week 

narrowed down too

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

BMW S1000XR

BMW R1200rs

 

but prices are so inflated right now

just wondering if I need to suck it up and go without a bike until November and see if prices come back to normal 

 

decisions

Link to comment
Boxflyer

Hey Randy,

My bike can be for sale. 
Let’s talk. 
2016RT with what I think has been good maintenance. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Indy Dave
On 7/2/2021 at 9:17 PM, randy said:

So my bike was totaled 

got paid today 

so shopping starts next week 

narrowed down too

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

BMW S1000XR

BMW R1200rs

 

but prices are so inflated right now

just wondering if I need to suck it up and go without a bike until November and see if prices come back to normal 

 

decisions

 

How are you feeling, Randy?

 

Glad they quickly resolved your bike issue so you can at least go about the decision making process.

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

 

How are you feeling, Randy?

 

Glad they quickly resolved your bike issue so you can at least go about the decision making process.

I am feeling fine.  It took about 3 weeks for all the aches and stiffness to completely be gone, but I am 100% now.  Yes to be honest the accident happened 6/5 and check arrived 7/2  so about a month.  This is my only accident in my lifetime.  So I learned a few things.  the biggest lesson learned was once we agreed on the bike as a total loss, and I was given the market value and proposed settlement, I had 5 days of rental car coverage, that was it, 5 days.  And in fact we agreed to the loss amount on 6/28 and I did not get the money until 7/2.  So basically that was my 5 days.  So in effect I have not rental car coverage as I "shop" for the replacement vehicle.  That part was very surprising.  I thought I would get 1-2 weeks rental car coverage AFTER I actually received the money.  And research by me since then has confirmed that is industry standard.   Other than that, State Farm was great to work with. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
MachineJoe
1 hour ago, randy said:

This is my only accident in my lifetime.

Randy,  That's fantastic ...... I won't say it out loud,  (knock on wood, I haven't had one to date)  Glad to hear you're doing well and the insurance experience went well too !!!

Link to comment

thanks everyone.  Yes this was my first time ever involved in an actual vehicle accident.  I had gone down twice before, both times in Illinois early in my riding days.  I lived on a packed gravel road and I went down in the mud after a hard rain twice.  So I never really counted those.  I both cases I was doing about 2 miles per hour :-) 

 

This was a far more interesting get off.  Left turning vehicle in front of me, I almost made it, hard on the brakes tried steering right to miss the vehicle, and just caught the very rear bumper of the truck.  It was a 1998 F250, so BIG, Massive and heavy.  My bike did not even leave much of a mark on that vehicle.  the driver was super nice, and it was just an honest mistake.  He looked in his mirrors, and there was just a little rise in the road that hid me, he turned left to cross the road to help a young couple to change their car tire, I came over the rise and saw him to late.  So he was a good Samaritan who just made a small mistake.  All is good.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Indy Dave
9 minutes ago, ERdok said:

In! Will be arriving Friday, departing Sunday.

 

WooHoo! Great Rick, look forward to seeing you! :yes:

Link to comment
scout6
On 7/2/2021 at 9:17 PM, randy said:

So my bike was totaled 

got paid today 

so shopping starts next week 

narrowed down too

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

BMW S1000XR

BMW R1200rs

 

but prices are so inflated right now

just wondering if I need to suck it up and go without a bike until November and see if prices come back to normal 

 

decisions

Glad that you are well, and the bike is sorted out.  Hope to see you this Fall.

Link to comment
On 7/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, randy said:

So my bike was totaled 

got paid today 

so shopping starts next week 

narrowed down too

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

BMW S1000XR

BMW R1200rs

 

but prices are so inflated right now

just wondering if I need to suck it up and go without a bike until November and see if prices come back to normal 

 

decisions

Randy my friend Dave bought the Yamaha Tracer 900GT , he is half your size. Dave says it's a little under powered for his liking.

Link to comment
On 6/28/2021 at 8:54 PM, TN_R11_Girl said:

She’s baaaaack!  IN Wed-Sun 😁💕

Sounds like the start of a pied piper run for the TN Crew!

Link to comment
TSConver

So hopefully picking up a GZ250 for my wife to learn how to ride on this weekend.  Hoping she can get some confidence up quickly and maybe ride with us at FART on it.  Thoughts?

Link to comment
brianh70
43 minutes ago, TSConver said:

So hopefully picking up a GZ250 for my wife to learn how to ride on this weekend.  Hoping she can get some confidence up quickly and maybe ride with us at FART on it.  Thoughts?

Personally, I think the BRP would be a great place for a new rider to hit up.  The road is pretty well maintained, it's scenic, and people are usually pretty well-behaved on it since it's heavily patrolled.

 

More importantly, though, has she gone through a safety-course?  If not, I would strongly encourage that.  After a 10 year hiatus of riding, I took the course and found it very helpful.  As a bonus, some bike shops will give you a discount if you show you recently took an MSF course.  At least that was my experience in Texas many years ago.

Link to comment
TSConver
14 minutes ago, brianh70 said:

Personally, I think the BRP would be a great place for a new rider to hit up.  The road is pretty well maintained, it's scenic, and people are usually pretty well-behaved on it since it's heavily patrolled.

 

More importantly, though, has she gone through a safety-course?  If not, I would strongly encourage that.  After a 10 year hiatus of riding, I took the course and found it very helpful.  As a bonus, some bike shops will give you a discount if you show you recently took an MSF course.  At least that was my experience in Texas many years ago.

 

Planning on a course.  I taught both the beginner and advanced MSF courses for years so a big proponent for them.  Going to ride this a bit in the neighborhood and locally with a permit prior to the course so she gets the most out of it.

Link to comment
wbw6cos

More importantly, what are her thoughts?   Yeah, it would be great (for you) to have her ride to FART, but she should be able to determine what here skill-set will allow.   

 

If she is confident enough and feels the need, then I say go for it.   As an experienced rider/coach, you can ride with her and keep it simple.   Using  good rider to rider communication devices would definitely be a plus.

 

Some of the routes that will be posted will involve some great roads, but if you download them in base camp you can tweek them around enough to keep them easy, or just ride them at her pace - either way.   A slower pace will work, but just need to be prepared for some tight, right-handers with some steep gradients.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
60Aviator
On 7/15/2021 at 1:31 PM, TSConver said:

 

Planning on a course.  I taught both the beginner and advanced MSF courses for years so a big proponent for them.  Going to ride this a bit in the neighborhood and locally with a permit prior to the course so she gets the most out of it.

 

If she has been riding with you then she already knows what not to do! :3:

 

Sorry, that was too easy to pass up. :4317:

  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Tried to book a room at the Allegheny Inn and they are full.  Is there anyone staying at another location? 

Link to comment
Indy Dave
1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Tried to book a room at the Allegheny Inn and they are full.  Is there anyone staying at another location? 

 

Hi Phil - Did you use the website to register using the group code?

Link to comment
Mark Mikita

I’m planning to arrive Wednesday. Looking forward to some nice riding. See you soon.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I did you the group code, I will call them today an let you know what I find out.  I’ll be arriving on Wed and leaving on Saturday.


thanks Dave

Link to comment
Indy Dave
7 hours ago, PhilB said:

I meant to type I did use the group code

As of this posting, there are

4 rooms with 2 X Dbl beds

1 Single Queen left.

 

More rooms may become available in August when a wedding block expires.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have a two bed room reserved.  my normal riding partner will not be joining us on this trip.  So I am looking for a roommate to share room costs.  Please PM me if you are interested.  thanks

Link to comment
Indy Dave
On 7/18/2021 at 11:17 PM, Mark Mikita said:

I’m planning to arrive Wednesday. Looking forward to some nice riding. See you soon.

 

Welcome Mark, glad to have to have you join us! :clap:

 

1153416108_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg1finalR1.thumb.jpg.43fc7fd15f9cc42c344eabfcf2371119.jpg

 

721146652_whosgoingspartapg2july20R.thumb.jpg.31bb901159a6cf5b121d46299df3e32b.jpg

 

Link to comment

Hi Dave a s All,

I called and was able to secure a room.  You are correct in that they have more rooms available.  I would recommend just calling.

see you all on  the 22nd 

Link to comment
On 7/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, Foot said:

Randy my friend Dave bought the Yamaha Tracer 900GT , he is half your size. Dave says it's a little under powered for his liking.

I appreciate that information and feedback.  But any rider who thinks 115 HP is underpowered is probably a WAY better rider than me.  I am fine with 475lb bike and 115hp.  I only ride one up, so maybe that will work to my benefit.  I really like the low weight of the Tracer, but as noted by many reviewers and most users on the Tracer900 user forum, if you have large feet, say over size 10 the drivers heel will consistently hit/catch on the riders pegs.  I have since sat and test drove a Tracer and that is 100% accurate.  Again I only ride 1 up, and I have removed the passenger pegs on my S1000r and the Tuono, but the Tracer uses the passenger footpegs as a mounting point for the factory bags.  Some users on the Tracer900 user forum have created home made mounts for the factory bags so that is an option.  to be honest if it was not for the footpeg issue, I would probably already have made my decision.  I love the low weight of the Tracer and the 3 cylinder engine is sweet!!

Link to comment

Hi Randy.  I switched from an RT to a 1200gs.  Now I have the 1250gs.  Really enjoy the bike, its ease of steering, and its low center of gravity.  I did get the lowered version, and I don't ride off road.  Just really like the bike.

 

Link to comment

The route from my house to Sparta is about 16-17 hours with most of it I-10 slab from Houston to Slidell La, then north on 59.  On another forum (fishing) people are saying I-10 is all torn up...under construction and time is not your friend.  Several people posted what is a normal 6 hour drive to Ms is now about 12 hours.

 

Have any of you been on I 10 from Texas headed East recently.  If so what should I expect.  I was planning on driving straight through, but if it ads 8-10 hours that won't be possible.  All other alternative ways are quite long as well.  Thanks.

Link to comment

Very much looking forward to meeting you David...hope you can make it...can't wait to see one of the first RTW's every made!

 

It's not a pleasant idea, but leaving a day early is an option that could allow for construction and not press you into riding fatigued.

 

Boxflyer

(Brad)

 

Link to comment

Thanks...I'm coming god willing....If it turns into a mess getting there I might detour slightly and spend a day with my old friend in Crestview, Fl.  Looking forward to meeting you guys and hanging out.

 

I 10 is important as speed limit is 80 which means I can make some really good time....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Skywagon said:

The route from my house to Sparta is about 16-17 hours with most of it I-10 slab from Houston to Slidell La, then north on 59.  On another forum (fishing) people are saying I-10 is all torn up...under construction and time is not your friend.  Several people posted what is a normal 6 hour drive to Ms is now about 12 hours.

 

Have any of you been on I 10 from Texas headed East recently.  If so what should I expect.  I was planning on driving straight through, but if it ads 8-10 hours that won't be possible.  All other alternative ways are quite long as well.  Thanks.

 

Why not 59 up to Shreveport and then I20 across.

Link to comment

TSConver....thats a distinct possibility.  It is only slightly further but under normal traffic times it will be  ~ 2 hours longer due to all the little small towns.  I've been to Shreveport many times.  The speed limits up 59 are slower and there are small town LEO's everywhere.  The last ticket I got was on that road in 1977 doing 59 in a 55... You are probably right though as it looks like I-10 will be a mess.  

 

Anybody from Texas DFW-Houston area heading up?  If so give me a shout and maybe we can ride together at least part of the way.

 

Now where did I put that radar detector.......

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...