IGNORED

2008 r1200 rt Brake Failure Light

Jake T Dawg

Jake T Dawg

Hi All,

I am new to this forum as I have just joined. I have inherited the bike and it has the Brake Failure indicator lit. I have no problems driving or stopping. It has been suggested to me that the ABS controller may be shot, but that is huge $$$ to get it replaced. This is also my first BWM as I came from the cruiser world. Has anyone else had this issue? And what is the best way to check to make sure what the actual issue may be? Many thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, Jake T Dawg said:

Hi All,

I am new to this forum as I have just joined. I have inherited the bike and it has the Brake Failure indicator lit. I have no problems driving or stopping. It has been suggested to me that the ABS controller may be shot, but that is huge $$$ to get it replaced. This is also my first BWM as I came from the cruiser world. Has anyone else had this issue? And what is the best way to check to make sure what the actual issue may be? Many thanks in advance.

Evening Jake

Yes, a number of 1200 hexhead riders have had similar brake issues. It is usually a worn through wheel speed sensor wire at L/H front brake rotor  or stuck brush inside the ABS module.

You need to use a GS-911 or dealer computer to retrieve the ABS failure codes. 

Once you have the codes then call ModuleMaster & they can usually quote you a price on repairing your ABS module.

You can repair a worn through wheel speed sensor wire but a stuck Module motor brush is a difficult home repair. 

Jake T Dawg

Thanks Dirtrider. I currently have the bike at a BMW dealer for an out of province inspection( i am in Alberta Canada) they are running the codes. I will have the bike home in a day or so, I will have to purchase the code reader for it. I have also found the Module Master website as I have heard good things about them. I will run the codes once I get my bike back and go from there. Maybe the rubber mallet trick will work. Hahaha. 

3 minutes ago, Jake T Dawg said:

Thanks Dirtrider. I currently have the bike at a BMW dealer for an out of province inspection( i am in Alberta Canada) they are running the codes. I will have the bike home in a day or so, I will have to purchase the code reader for it. I have also found the Module Master website as I have heard good things about them. I will run the codes once I get my bike back and go from there. Maybe the rubber mallet trick will work. Hahaha. 

Evening Jake

Yes, the rubber mallet will sometimes work but the mallet repair is more to determine the cause as it usually isn't a lasting repair. 

On buying  a code reader, if you don't get a GS-911 then some of the cheaper readers will give you a failure code or codes but they are sometimes the incorrect codes & that makes finding the problem difficult.

Jake T Dawg

I agree, and you are correct. Replacement with a rebuild, if that is the case, will always be the best option. As I dont have the bike at home right now, do you happen to know the type of module that is in this bike?

1 minute ago, Jake T Dawg said:

I agree, and you are correct. Replacement with a rebuild, if that is the case, will always be the best option. As I dont have the bike at home right now, do you happen to know the type of module that is in this bike?

Evening Jake 

It is the I-ABS gen2  module  ( INTEGRAL ABS GEN 2).