IGNORED

Clutch Switch & Clutch Switch 2 - 2015 RTW

Essnowyt

Hello everyone,

I could use some help from the mechanically smart members.  Last year some time, I found I could not start my 2015 RT while in gear.  Side stand up, and clutch pulled in, but no start.  It was late in the season so I put the bike away.  I now connected my GS911 and found there is Clutch Switch & Clutch Switch 2.   Clutch Switch 2 appears to be doing what is expected.  With the clutch lever pulled, the sensor identified as "Clutch Switch" has no change.  Does this mean its faulty, or does that sensor measure something else?

I was only expecting one Clutch Switch sensor, not two.  Is there anyone in the group that has seen this or can point me to where these sensors are?  Is this the right diagnosis for not being able to start the bike while in gear, side stand up, and clutch lever pulled?

image.png.32df6129b89b2e1c941b3c3b30b42eef.png

Thank you,

Snowy.

15 hours ago, Essnowyt said:

Hello everyone,

I could use some help from the mechanically smart members.  Last year some time, I found I could not start my 2015 RT while in gear.  Side stand up, and clutch pulled in, but no start.  It was late in the season so I put the bike away.  I now connected my GS911 and found there is Clutch Switch & Clutch Switch 2.   Clutch Switch 2 appears to be doing what is expected.  With the clutch lever pulled, the sensor identified as "Clutch Switch" has no change.  Does this mean its faulty, or does that sensor measure something else?

I was only expecting one Clutch Switch sensor, not two.  Is there anyone in the group that has seen this or can point me to where these sensors are?  Is this the right diagnosis for not being able to start the bike while in gear, side stand up, and clutch lever pulled?

image.png.32df6129b89b2e1c941b3c3b30b42eef.png

Thank you,

Snowy.

Afternoon Snowy

One clutch switch is for the (in gear) start enable & the other  is for the cruise control clutch lever pull-in cruise control dump so the engine doesn't flair when clutch lever is pulled in when cruise control is set.  

I think BMW only services the cruise control dual switch as a combined unit as it is basically a single unit with 2 reeds.   

Before replacing the switch you might try bending the starting side little switch leaf so the switch triggers a little earlier as clutch lever pull stroke.   

You might also try  lightly pushing the clutch lever forward THEN pull it in all the way to see it will start in gear. (this could tell you something)

CcChyb6.jpg

My 2015 is having the same issue.  I used some contact cleaner that is plastic safe.  Had to remove the clutch lever.  That fixed it for most of last year.  But by the end of the year, it was doing it again.  I couldn't find the procedure for removing that switch.

Is that PN in the picture above for a 2015?

13 hours ago, 92Merc said:

My 2015 is having the same issue.  I used some contact cleaner that is plastic safe.  Had to remove the clutch lever.  That fixed it for most of last year.  But by the end of the year, it was doing it again.  I couldn't find the procedure for removing that switch.

Is that PN in the picture above for a 2015?

Morning  92Merc

I can't see that contact cleaner doing much for the switch internal contacts as the buttons are sealed & the switch contacts are surrounded by a plastic housing. Probably just removing & replacing the lever helped as much as anything. 

As far as I know that is still the correct part number. 

Switch is held on with (1) screw & switch is mounted to bottom of L/H clutch control lever assembly. 

• 1 month later...

I wanted to follow up on my clutch switch woes.  All is good and this will surprise everyone.  The switch was loose... 

When I first started fiddling/removing the clutch switch I found the switch held in place with one course thread screw with a T9 torxs screw head.  I didn't have to exert much torque on the screw and I was able to remove the switch.  With the switch out I found that the switch was seemingly working correctly.  So, I reinstalled the switch and the bike started in gear, once.  Yah, that's right only once.  So I was left scratching my head and walked away from the bike for the night.  Fast forward a few days and I returned to fiddling with the switch.  This time I held the switch in place.  It was then I found I needed to hold the switch really tight and it would work as expected.  Holding it loose, would not let the bike start in gear.  So, really tightened the screw, like I was scared of how much I torque I put on to the screw.  Now with the clutch switch in securely in place I could now again start the bike in gear, with the clutch pulled in. 

I can report that after 5000 mile two week trip, the bike still starts in gear with the clutch pulled.

Snowy.

• Like 1

Today I decided to take my clutch perch off and flip it over to gain access to the switch.  My switch wasn't loose at all.  But I removed it.  I intended to use my meter and test the contacts.  But the pins are so hard to get to.  You can't easily test it.

So I bent the metal bars up a bit and re-installed.  In my quick 2 start test, the bike started each time.  So here's to hoping that was all it needed for a fix.