IGNORED

South East Ohio has the best twisties

Just got back from a trip to South East Ohio that was organized by a fellow BMW RS rider.  About 12 of us.

This area was all new to me...having done the Dragon several times over the last 20 years and a lot of other roads in GA, S. C., N.C, Tenn and the Virginias 

With his guidance we spent 4 days riding the OUTSTANDING roads.  Super roads, smooth pavement, lots and lots of turns, very little traffic

From the short (15) miles and technical 536 to the longer (70 mile) 555 which requires your full attention and many others that are totally enjoyable.

While there is no hype like the  Dragon tree of shame, neat stickers, etc etc these roads are better!

One morning we road a full hour and met NO traffic in either direction.  Total joy

• Like 5
MachineJoe

I have to agree with you, It's beautiful riding in SE Ohio and have enjoyed the Triple Nickle many times.

• Like 1

Some of the best riding venues are those that are not highly hyped. I haven’t spent much time in that part of Ohio, except to have passed through a couple of times. It’s really beautiful. Having been on the Dragon a time or two, it doesn’t have much appeal to me, with the amount of congestion and high level of bad riding and driving one sees there.

We have semi-settled in Wisconsin’s Driftless Zone, which is a 24,000 square mile area that has thousands of miles of great roads. It’s also worth checking out: https://www.driftlessroadadventures.com Like SE Iowa, only the cognoscenti are aware of it.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 5/29/2021 at 9:31 AM, Mike said:

Having been on the Dragon a time or two, it doesn’t have much appeal to me, with the amount of congestion and high level of bad riding and driving one sees there.

After 20 years, I still enjoy riding the Dragon, but only on weekdays.  Typically I'll ride through on a Wednesday enroute to FART, or maybe on a Thursday day ride during the FART event, and on those days it's almost deserted.  But Friday afternoon, or Saturday?  Steer clear.

Have heard good things about SE Ohio, but have yet to ride there.  One of these days...

What else is good in the area besides 555?

There are a lot of good roads in the area...4 days was not enough to ride them all.  Beyond the roads mentioned in the first post the river road Rt 26 is also good.  A nice long ride..not as technical as 536 or as surprising as 555 but very nice.

roadscholar

I still enjoy the dragon but def not at rush hour, late in the day can be good when everyone is tuckered out chillin in the parking lot but weekdays are still best.

In SE Ohio almost anything around Athens is good, the area is called the Hocking Hills and and has some unique geology/geography like the Driftless Zone. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hocking_Hills

• Like 1

I use to ride S.E. Ohio quite a bit. My dad grew up on a little farm in Peoli . Outstanding twisty hilly roads with little to no traffic. Claim to fame from there is that my Grandfather is buried beside Cy Young. He bought the farm beside my grandparents when he retired. First person with running water in his home in that area.. Asked my dad if he ever played catch with him and he told me  that he couldn't because he was always to busy working. I always teased him and said that if he would have had 10 baseballs signed by him ,we would be on easy street.

• Like 1

Mitch - 

As mentioned, there are many good roads in the area (78 is a favorite). Hocking Hills is fun but can get crowded. If you like/want off-road, the Wayne National Forest is a great area for that. 

For a sense of what is available, you can check out the Ohio Windy 9 here Ohio Windy 9

Just don't tell too many people about the area - we like it quiet. :3:

Rock N the Ride

Check out https://www.windy9.com for Athens OH area riding routes. You can request/download a map and GPS files of the area. The maps have POI's and suggested eateries and lodging options. 

I know it looks like it reads windy (win dee) but it is used to mean windy (wine d). Either way it is a lot of excellent riding and exposure to the areas extensive historic heritage. 

• Like 1