IGNORED

Won't Start in Gear

Deltamark

Hey all,

I have a 2013 R1200RT and the bike no longer starts if I have have it in gear. Perhaps it's a bad habit, but I've always parked the bike in first gear, then would pull in the clutch lever to start it. I now have to put it in neutral to start it. Also, it's probably a coincidence, but this just started happening after I took the bike in for the fuel pump recall / replacement. Any thoughts?

54 minutes ago, Deltamark said:

Hey all,

I have a 2013 R1200RT and the bike no longer starts if I have have it in gear. Perhaps it's a bad habit, but I've always parked the bike in first gear, then would pull in the clutch lever to start it. I now have to put it in neutral to start it. Also, it's probably a coincidence, but this just started happening after I took the bike in for the fuel pump recall / replacement. Any thoughts?

Afternoon  Deltamark

That more points to a CLUTCH lever safety switch, it does start in neutral so the neutral safety switch should be good to go.  

Usually it's the clutch switch but seeing as it was just worked on then they might have pulled a wire or connection loose on the clutch switch circuit  (does the cruise control still set & work?)

You might take it back to the shop that did the work & tell them that it worked OK before the fuel pump work  (they might just repair it, or at least tell you what is wrong then try to wiggle out of it). But at least you will know what is wrong with it.

7 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Thank you both. Hmm, I'll check the cruise control this evening when I get home.

"Usually it's the clutch switch but seeing as it was just worked on they might have pulled a wire or connection loose on the clutch switch circuit  (does the cruise control still set & work?)"

My 2012 does the same thing.  My GS911 shows the clutch safety switch doesn't always work.  Pulling in the clutch before turning the key on seems to work.  Maybe correlation or coincidence.

Went home and tried it last night and of course it worked properly. I think perhaps I did pull in the clutch before turning on the key. Guess I'll just have to pay attention to my process and see if I'm doing something differently, but it's still odd.

48 minutes ago, Deltamark said:

Went home and tried it last night and of course it worked properly. I think perhaps I did pull in the clutch before turning on the key. Guess I'll just have to pay attention to my process and see if I'm doing something differently, but it's still odd.

Afternoon  Deltamark

If it happens again try lightly pushing the clutch lever forward THEN see it will start.

Dirtmerchant

Switch is probably starting to go bad. My 2011 RT clutch switch would work/not work for a while. I cleaned it with CRC Contact Cleaner and it would work for a couple hundred miles then not. I replaced it when I did my 30k service.