IGNORED

Memorial Day soon

lawnchairboy

John Ranalletta

Brother Bill, USN WWII, Pacific Theater.  RIP

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors

Brother Vic, USAF, B-24 Bombardier, European Campaign.  RIP

No photo description available.  image.png.2ac9c0d0f5991da89da531e07722c92c.png

"In April of 1944, we flew to a new field located in Cerignola, Italy. Our crew flew 32 missions over the Balkan countries, including the Ploesti oil fields. Our crew was part of the 15th Air Force, 484th Bomb Group, 827th Bomb Squadron and flew in a B-24H. We had one close call when we were running out of fuel over the Adriatic Sea on our way back to the base. The flight engineer advised the pilot that we would not get back to the base. We were prepared to ditch the plane in the sea but past experience had proven that the B-24 does not fair well trying to land on water. We were getting near land when I noticed what looked like a landing strip. The planes were covered with camouflage so we were not sure whether the combatants were friends or foe. Our pilot, Joe Simmons, who was an aeronautical engineer, opted to land on the small strip, suitable for smaller craft only. As we got closer, we recognized the planes as British RAF Spitfire planes. Joe did a great job landing the plane, stopping just yards short of a wire fence surrounding the base. The fuel tanks were almost empty. After refueling, our plane barely missed the fence on takeoff. In another incident, a malfunction prevented the release of the bombs over the target. It was dangerous to land with bombs still on board so they had to be released, preferably over water. I volunteered to release the bombs manually, but when the bomb bay doors opened and I was standing on a foot-wide crosswalk the thousand feet in the air clutching the bomb rack as tight as I could, I had seconds thoughts. But I released the bombs one by one, and then drew a big sigh of relief when the bomb bay doors closed."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our freedoms have been paid for at a great price…blood.  I think some of the current generation don’t comprehend/understand the sacrifice.

I’m afraid we may have to relive history.

• Like 1

@Rougarou

That is one reason that I, purposely, do not fire up the grill on this solemn day.  Doing so seems to diminish the reason.

Thanks to all who posted links to the fallen,   It gives me a stronger meaning to the word Memorial.

• Like 1

To fallen soldiers let us sing,

Where no rockets fly nor bullets wing;

Our broken brothers let us bring

To the mansions of the Lord. 

No more bleeding, no more fight,

No prayers pleading through the night;

Just divine embrace, eternal light

In the mansions of the Lord.

Where no mothers cry and no children weep,

We shall stand and guard

though the angels sleep;

All through the ages safely keep

The mansions of the Lord. 

2 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

@Rougarou

That is one reason that I, purposely, do not fire up the grill on this soelmn day.  Doing so seems to diminish the reason.

Thanks to all who posted links to the fallen,   It gives me a stronger meaning to the word Memorial.

Fire it up!!  I agree completely with the below.

• Like 6

Taking Chance the movie is a must see. It reminds me of the phrase…

All gave some.. Some gave all.

• Like 2

For as long as I can remember I’ve held military personnel in high regard. I don’t pretend to understand the full measure of sacrifice but I know the importance of remembering. Plan on putting on the dress today to honor those who gave everything.

E98FED3E-1432-443B-9792-3F275A0835D1.jpeg

• Like 5

Quality isn’t too good as taking pics with phone from my Dads ship book. He was radar guy until in combat and then a gunner. Officially he was listed as gunner squad aboard BB 58 which saw a lot of action in WW II. One picture is them shelling Okinawa April 13 1945. Dad passed in 1989 when I was pretty young

34721630-495C-4745-9584-1C98DB269E6D.jpeg

5D9E9A03-A559-4EEB-98AA-DC305019FFCE.jpeg

760A8BBC-18F3-4FA6-A56C-9FE25085B9A6.jpeg

3F5D9BC0-E51E-4FC3-AFFA-36CA2551C758.jpeg

• Like 1

We typically attend a Memorial Day ceremony at Fort Benning but it's been canceled for the second year. Just got back from the National Cemetery in Ft. Mitchell AL where my uncle, cousin, my son's best friend, and a few Soldiers I serve with are buried. I make a point to end the pity party once I drive out the gate. As @Rougarou so elegantly put it, those who I knew who gave the ultimate sacrifice would want us to celebrate their life.

Just a quick story about one of my former squad leaders who died in Afghanistan in 2006. Mike Fuga arrived to my platoon from a two year recruiting stint just as we redeployed from Desert Storm. He hated every minute of recruiting, why the green machine stuck a Samoan in the middle of Minnesota as a recruiter still baffles me. He was a fantastic squad leader and I was glad to have him in the platoon. With the reduction in the size of the Army in 1992, 15 mid grade NCOs got their walking papers, Mike Fuga was in the group of 15. While a solid NCO and infantryman he got a bad report card during his time as a recruiter and that was all it took to end a 12 year career. He was always good natured and did his job until he was released from active duty. 

He was able to enlist in the National Guard, got married and went to work for Southwest Airlines in Kansas City. He was still serving in 2006 when he volunteered for Afghanistan.  Mike was on a patrol and was killed in a fire fight at 47 years old. God bless him and his family. 

download.jpeg.5f75d00d84215544b9be4faa8e68466d.jpeg

• Like 6
John Ranalletta
4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

A very hard film to watch 

Thanks.  I've watched the movie 3x and look forward to reading this.

For many, when the last round is fired, the battle really begins,.........watch the end, you may be able to assist.

• Like 1