IGNORED

DOT helmet test failures____

dirtrider

"I’m not here to argue which standard is best" but by the end of the sentence sets forth an unsupportable assertion about standards. He also doesn't mention that a significant portion of test failures are due to labeling and not helmet integrity.

I agree it is a problem that likely too many DOT helmets do not meet the self certified standard.

Why would that be if there are laws on the books against sticking a 2 cent sticker on a sub standard helmet?

Did we eviscerate the DOT's enforcement budget in past years instead of making a few high profile convictions now and then of manufacturers or importers responsible? The case against Harley Davidson's claim of "For Off Road Use Only" proved the government is capable of enforcing the Code of Federal Regulations when they want to.

szurszewski
59 minutes ago, dduelin said:

He also doesn't mention that a significant portion of test failures are due to labeling and not helmet integrity.

Third sentence of the article (middle of the first paragraph):

62.8 percent of the helmets failed the labeling portion and a whopping 43.1 percent of the helmets failed the performance tests.

Maybe you skipped down to the later paragraph where he just talks about the 43% failing, or maybe the article was edited after your post?

53 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Third sentence of the article (middle of the first paragraph):

62.8 percent of the helmets failed the labeling portion and a whopping 43.1 percent of the helmets failed the performance tests.

Maybe you skipped down to the later paragraph where he just talks about the 43% failing, or maybe the article was edited after your post?

Maybe I overlooked it in my zeal to reply :/

• 2 months later...