IGNORED

Touring boots

joeb

Hi all I have a pair of well worn Alpinestar boots, they are waterproof but the soles are pretty much gone. Does anyone have experience with re-sole ?

Or recommend a comfortable  waterproof boot with decent protection that doesn't require me to have a co- signer ??

chrisolson

Probably as many opinions as there are manufacturers and styles :classic_biggrin:

No experience with re-sole, but I've always found Joe Rocket boots to be reasonably priced , serviceable (ie ample  protection) and depending on your taste, fairly stylish.  I've owned two pair and found them fine for me ... but comfort is  a personal variable that is hard to predict , only you can decide.

LINKY

My wife got a pair of Sidi boots, about $250, she likes them a lot.

I have no input as I just wear work boots with mink oil or Snow Seal to waterproof them. About $250 for a pair of those too.

It would be worth a trip to a cobbler to check on getting yours resoled, even if just to keep them as a back up pair, or get you by for a few more years.

9 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Probably as many opinions as there are manufacturers and styles :classic_biggrin:

No experience with re-sole, but I've always found Joe Rocket boots to be reasonably priced , serviceable (ie ample  protection) and depending on your taste, fairly stylish.  I've owned two pair and found them fine for me ... but comfort is  a personal variable that is hard to predict , only you can decide.

LINKY

Thank you.

I've been happy with TCX and now Gaerne.  These are the ones I have now.  Gaerne G-Durban Boots

Very happy with them.  I wore them for 6600 miles last summer, did some light hiking in Yellowstone NP with them.  Very comfortable.

I wonder if Alpinestars offers a repair/resole service? I did not see it on their website, but an email to them might be worth it.

Michaelr11
On 5/22/2021 at 11:23 AM, joeb said:

Hi all I have a pair of well worn Alpinestar boots, they are waterproof but the soles are pretty much gone. Does anyone have experience with re-sole ?

Or recommend a comfortable  waterproof boot with decent protection that doesn't require me to have a co- signer ??

http://www.resole.com/splash.html

Not sure if you were asking specifically about this company, or just the process.  I have a pair of Alpinestar boots, still on the original soles.  No experience with this outfit, but if you decide to go that way please report back your results.  I also use a pair of Double-H harness boots when I ride my Airheads.  They have been to the local shoe repair shop many times for half-soles and heels.  After 22+ years they are really ready for replacement.

13 hours ago, Chris K said:

I like TCX boots as they fit me well and use Gortex instead of some other waterproofing material. Here are likes to two different styles. One is full leather and the other uses fabric inserts. I like the ones with the inserts as they breath better. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five4-gore-tex-boots

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-airtech-evo-gore-tex-boots

Thank you I've never considered that brand before, will check out

Screenshot_20210523-080507_Facebook.thumb.jpg.6eb05ad77b6b853da518d6a9b2e479ab.jpgThanks all for your response, new ideas for me to consider,  after checking out this photo, maybe I shouldn't sweat out the boot decision too much

I wear the SIDI All Road boots.  I was cautioned that they run a bit narrow which was perfect for me.  They fit very well.

Sometimes buying more expensive boots pays off. I bought a pair of Daytona Goretex boots 7 years ago. They're still in better shape than the 2 pairs of TCX boots that I had previously. Those lasted about 3 years. I ride on average 30K km a year. 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:08 PM, joeb said:

...maybe I shouldn't sweat out the boot decision too much

I guess it depends on how he lost his feet.  If it was in a moto accident while wearing cheap boots...  well, you know what to do.

My personal attitude is that if you're really wearing out your equipment (which you seem to have done here), you'll get your money's worth out of the more expensive stuff.  Insert plug for the Aerostich boots here.  But before you do that, take your boots to your local cobbler.  It's not rocket science to resole a boot, although most these days (especially the cheaper ones) are not re-soleable.

On 5/29/2021 at 3:28 PM, elkroeger said:

I guess it depends on how he lost his feet.  If it was in a moto accident while wearing cheap boots...  well, you know what to do.

My personal attitude is that if you're really wearing out your equipment (which you seem to have done here), you'll get your money's worth out of the more expensive stuff.  Insert plug for the Aerostich boots here.  But before you do that, take your boots to your local cobbler.  It's not rocket science to resole a boot, although most these days (especially the cheaper ones) are not re-soleable.

Buy good shoes and good mattresses because you're going to spend most of your time in one or the other.

Thanks for the tip.

Joe Frickin' Friday

After six years of use, I'm still happy with my Alpinestars SMX Plus boots:

I purchased a set of Tourmaster Solution waterproof boots from Goodwill probably six-eight years ago, still going strong and they're almost used daily.  Mighta shoulda got some more "street" oriented boots as they have seen some lean in.

97836065-D441-4C2B-8F1C-0D5B8C467541.jpeg

18DC701F-950C-4239-BF97-DC56458C97F2.jpeg

Shelterwoods

I recommend the Combat Touring boots from Aerostich. Easy on, easy off, can be re-soled, and are of quality construction. I believe they are made by Sidi.

Del

• 2 weeks later...