IGNORED

TPMS Retrofit

CruisinCruzan

CruisinCruzan

Just rec’d a phone call from BMW NA concerning a bulletin he said was released to dealers 2 weeks ago stating BMW developed a TPMS retrofit kit for the RT. Customers were responsible for the cost, but BMW was discounting the price by 57% (I thought that was an odd number). Have emailed my dealer and am waiting to hear if they have it in stock and what the total price would be. 

16 hours ago, CruisinCruzan said:

Just rec’d a phone call from BMW NA concerning a bulletin he said was released to dealers 2 weeks ago stating BMW developed a TPMS retrofit kit for the RT. Customers were responsible for the cost, but BMW was discounting the price by 57% (I thought that was an odd number). Have emailed my dealer and am waiting to hear if they have it in stock and what the total price would be. 

Morning CruisinCruzan

Yes, do find out what is going on.

I wonder if this is the same deal as the radio option. Due to the world wide chip shortage BMW is sending some new motorcycles into the U.S. without radios with a reduction in selling price. 

But the motorcycles are coming with speakers & a radio prep kit pre -installed so the motorcycle buyer can "purchase"  a radio kit  if/when that becomes available then install or have that installed & activated.  

The 2021 R1250RT demo I rode at Max of NH two weeks ago had no speakers, just angular concavities on either side of the hi tech instrument screen.  Somehow the absence of speakers made these spaces odd looking.  Regardless, the test ride was sweet.

Wooster, pining for an RT  

fourteenfour
On 5/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, CruisinCruzan said:

is this for the 2021 that were shipped without the parts?

CruisinCruzan

Yes it is for the early RTs without the TPMS due to the chip shortage. When BMW called me he said BMW, “realized it was an issue” . I thought to myself they would have to be tone deaf not to. When I spoke to MAX I was told that the retrofit kit is ordered on request by the customer as the dealer has to give a VIN number to get the discounted kit. The MSRP for the kit is 900+ and the discounted price is a little over 400. He was checking with BMW about labor, but I’m not holding my breath about that. He had not done one yet and there was one order put in just before mine. 

1 hour ago, CruisinCruzan said:

Yes it is for the early RTs without the TPMS due to the chip shortage. When BMW called me he said BMW, “realized it was an issue” . I thought to myself they would have to be tone deaf not to. When I spoke to MAX I was told that the retrofit kit is ordered on request by the customer as the dealer has to give a VIN number to get the discounted kit. The MSRP for the kit is 900+ and the discounted price is a little over 400. He was checking with BMW about labor, but I’m not holding my breath about that. He had not done one yet and there was one order put in just before mine. 

Morning  CruisinCruzan

On the install, even if they quote you labor you might be able to lower that somewhat, the RDU box is a simple plug-in so that you can do that yourself or they should do that fairly cheap. If you wait for first tire replacement then most of the sensor labor install  will be shared with the tire replacement labor.  

I'm not sure if the (chip shortage motorcycles are already pre-programmed or that will need to done on a dealer computer). If it needs to be programmed then you might also be able to work out a deal if you are taking the motorcycle in for other services that require a dealer computer hook up to complete.  

fourteenfour

Seriously BMW needs to step up and pay for it. They should be embarrassed for even shipping a bike lacking features they advertise on their website. The discount on purchase price should be their mea culpa for shipping a bike that is not complete and will require the owner to be without it when parts become available.

My feeling is you brought what you brought, a bike with without TPMS and Radio.  Current is being shipped with TPMS and Radio prep kit.  I'm in the market for a fully loaded 2021 RT so I'm not buying today. 

CruisinCruzan

Dirtrider I was thinking the same thing. I tried to have them do it when I bring it in for its 600 miles service but the timing didn’t work out. I will talk to them about what is involved as I mount/balance my own tires so that would be easy and the plug for the TPMS has one end of my CanOpener plugged into it so that would be easy as well. It would be extra nice if it could be turned on with my GS911.  As for the radio I could care less, but a retrofit kit that turns that area into storage would be sweet. That’s a lot of dashboard real estate that I could find lots of things to do with, right after I rearrange how data is displayed on the TFT. All in all, I’m really enjoying the bike and beginning to get the hang of the TFT.

What CC said above is true. Took about a week and half to get parts in. I got the sensors from my dealer and put those in since I do my own tires. That is the hardest/longest part. Going in Saturday for them to put in RDU module (under rear seat) and hook up computer to make everything work. Not even an hour labor left to do. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
fourteenfour

my dealer has a 21 in stock, no radio or tpms. salesperson was claiming the only reason it had not sold in the month they had it was because of the color... and here I am, why would I buy a new motorcycle missing features let alone missing TPMS? Even the radio not being there means it would be more difficult to resell.  Their big issue is they have only three on order and no idea when they will arrive. Though if you want a R18 they made a bad bet and have like a dozen of them around

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually seen the referenced bulletin or have a copy to share?  I called BMW Customer Service today and the person knew nothing about such bulletin.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:16 AM, CruisinCruzan said:

I called BMW customer service today.  The person on the phone knew nothing about such bulletin on TMPS kit.  Do you have access to the bulletin or the bulletin Number and is it a service bulletin?  My dealer knows nothing about it either.

Thanks.  Azokie

CruisinCruzan

No I do not have specifics about a bulletin number. It’s amazing that the BMW NA person you spoke to knows nothing about the program when it was BMW NA that called me to tell me about the offer. A textbook case of one department not knowing what the other department is doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Will go check with my dealer right away. 
does anyone have the experience of how accurate the bmw used system is?

I was looking into some aircap based systems but didn't like the extra display even if I have all the real estate for it where the speakers would have been.

h

• 1 month later...

My dealer denied having heard anything of the sort of tpm retrofits. 
if anyone has a bulletin Nr or other confirmation of the bulletin let us know.

I would love to get this retrofit somehow taken care of.

h