IGNORED

Joliet Half Mile Memorial Day

MichiganBob

The half-mile AMA flat track race has returned to Joliet Memorial Day weekend. Things are beginning to return to normal. Hot damn. And there's a White Castle near the track. What could be better?

MB

MichiganBob

They half mile in Joliet was very well done. They surely know how to run a smooth event. Friendly folks. Great racing. One of the few flat tracks where you can take an inside, middle, or high line and win. A lot of action. First time they have run this event since 2007. We headed south from Kalamazoo until we were out of the way of the Memorial Day Weekend Chicago traffic. Northern Indiana and Illinois backroads in the spring are lovely. Very few car. A lot of good road surfaces. Interesting towns. And I love unusual barns. Just a pleasant all around overnight trip. If you like flat track, think about this one for next year. Hoping to get in Lima and Springfield this year, the Wauseon vintage race, and the annual pilgrimage to the always good Tail of the Dragon. It's good to be out and about again. Whew!!!

Take good care,

Michiganbob

MichiganBob

Yup ... It seemed to be at about 15 percent capacity. I would say less than a 100 motorcycles. Probably several factors including lingering covid fears, economic hurt from the pandemic, memorial day traditions with family and such, and damn cold. I mean cold. Mid 50's and a strong wind from the north. The Sunday race was under much better conditions but we were only planning to be there Saturday. Hope the attendance was better. Great venue.