IGNORED

49L top case lid removal

Rockosmith

Rockosmith

Anyone here had occasion to remove the outer ‘skin’ of a 49L top case with the brake light.  I want to get mine painted to match the bike and don’t want to reinvent the wheel. 

Dave, this guy removed his brake light trim ( to add a functional brake light) and is a step required to remove the outer shell. Just continue removing the other visible screws and that lid should come right off.

Rockosmith

Thanks Tewks.  I added the brake light to mine as well a few months ago.  Hopefully you are correct!

Now I was present when my lid was removed but I was just an observer, no hands on. The screws on the bottom side of the lid are obvious to see but the hinge has me and my memory confused. It looks like you pop off this black cover to expose the two screws underneath. I tried to lightly pry it but didn’t succeed in popping it off. More research is needed.

7CCBEC82-E3D3-47F9-8BDF-2352F068A4E1.jpeg

18B4F1DF-24D7-4F9C-BF08-F6FBAB4AB551.jpeg

048AEE94-D691-46A6-B037-694D82F95739.jpeg

Been bugging the crap out of me that I can’t come up with a clear understanding of how the hinges separate from the lid. @Rob L does understand.  (dang haven’t figured out how to do the @ either :classic_biggrin:) Maybe this will help.

@Rob L    @TEWKS  fixed it for ya.

Hit the @ symbol and then give it a second to start populating,  As you type each letter, the drop down window has a list and if you are lazy enough, you can select that member's name (if it shows up quickly enough) and it will put it in white letters with blue background when hit hit submit..

This has been a public service announcement.

• Thanks 1
Rockosmith

Thanks for your continued research Tewks.  I have a couple trips scheduled in the next few weeks so will not be disassembling right away.  The middle of June is the target for getting this done

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It turns out that removal of the outer skin is really simple.  4 screws hold the brake light housing and 6 hold the backrest pad. Then the cover just lifts off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2