IGNORED

2021 RT TFT Connection Problem

CruisinCruzan

My brother uses an iPhone, same as I use. I have been wondering if the radio could have something to do with the connectivity issue. That’s the only difference between his.bike and mine. I just don’t know what the problem is.

BMW R&D asked me to install a beta version of the app on my phone to record  all of the communications between my phone and the.bike during a “connectivity problem event” so they could try and identify the cause of the connectivity issues. I sent them all of the data about 6 weeks ago. My understanding was that whatever they find would be addressed and incorporated in the next software update in December-January time frame. 

My brother uses an iPhone 11, same as I use. I have been wondering if the radio could have something to do with the connectivity issue. That’s the only difference between his.bike and mine. I just don’t know what the problem is.

BMW R&D asked me to install a beta version of the app on my phone to record  all of the communications between my phone and the.bike during a “connectivity problem event” so they could try and identify the cause of the connectivity issues. I sent them all of the data (over 300 MB!) about 6 weeks ago. My understanding was that whatever they find would be addressed and incorporated in the next software update in December-January time frame. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2021 at 2:52 AM, GeorgeH said:

Bimmers - The two headsets you were provided by BMW are the "BMW Fit-For-All" comm systems.  I have the same units and they actually work great....great volume and long battery life.  They are the ONLY comm systems that will allow you to control ALL aspects of NAV, phone, Media, and Volume using the all in one command (thumbwheel) on the left handlebar.  No other comm system will allow you to do all of that.  When set up correctly, everything will work.  Your lack of audio tells me that you do NOT have your phone and headset paired correctly.  It is easy to do this wrong and there's a long list of folks who have done so.  It is very important that your headset is NOT paired to the phone.  If both of your headsets are not charging, I expect that you are using a bad AC to USB charger, OR the wall plug is bad. OR the battery is not connected properly to the headset control unit.  When charging, the light on the headset controller shows RED, when charged it shows BLUE.  Try setting up one headset (out of the helmet) and charge the battery with a charger that you are certain works properly. That should work.

Here are the complete and correct pairing instructions for the BMW Fit-For-All comm system.  You must follow the instructions exactly without any variation (ask me how I know!). These instructions were provided to me directly by the BMW TFT R&D team in Munich.  They work. 

1.       Delete all pairings:

a.       Switch Fit4All ON,  go to "configuration menu” (press and hold the “BMW” button on Fit4All), select "delete all pairings” (shortly press “+” button repeatedly until you hear “delete all pairings” and execute “delete all pairings” by pressing the “BMW” button. Switch Fit4All OFF

b.       Switch bike ON, go to “connections menu” in the cluster, delete all pairings. Switch bike OFF

c.       Go to the Bluetooth menu of the iPhone, turn Bluetooth ON, delete all helmet pairings and all “BMW Motorrad XXXXX” pairings on the phone.

2.       Pair everything

a.       Pair bike with phone

i.      Turn on bike (wait >1min to turn back on again, after you had switched it off. This assures that the ECU has powered down and saved all data correctly)

ii.      Wait until the connections menu on the bike becomes available

iii.      Activate iPhone and go to the Bluetooth menu on the iPhone, turn Bluetooth ON  on the iPhone (iPhone is only visible for the cluster, when Bluetooth menu is shown on the iPhone)

iv.      In the connections menu of the cluster select “Mobile device” and “Pair new mobile device”. Wait until the phone’s Bluetooth name is shown on the cluster and start the pairing process by selecting the phone on the cluster (do not start the pairing process by selecting the cluster’s Bluetooth name on the phone).

v.      Wait until pairing process has finished, make sure that all rights which are requested on the phone (e.g. contact download) are granted

vi.      The phone is now paired and connected to the bike

b.       Pair Fit4All with bike

i.      Bike is still ON

ii.      Turn Fit4All ON by pressing the BMW symbol and the “+” button on Fit4All simultaneously for ~2sec

iii.      Press and hold the BMW symbol on Fit4All until you hear “Configuration menu”.

iv.      Release the BMW button as soon as you hear “configuration menu”

v.      Shortly press the “+” button once, you should hear “Phone Pairing”. The Fit4All system is now ready to be paired (NOTE that you are NOT pairing the phone in this step to the helmet, rather you are merely pairing the helmet "as if" it were a phone to the TFT.

vi.      In the connections menu of the cluster choose “Rider’s helmet” and select “Pair new rider’s helmet”. The cluster should find the helmet. Select the helmet’s name in the list on the cluster and wait until the helmet is paired.

vii.      The system is now ready to go.

Important note for re-connection of your devices:

If you should decide to pair your Fit4All directly with the iPhone (e.g. because you ride a bike without BMW TFT and decide to hear music directly from the phone), it is necessary to delete all pairings on Fit4All and pair it again with your TFT when you want to ride your 1250RT next time.

Hi George !

I'm Alex, from Barcelona. First of all, thanks for sharing !

I own a CE04 and for a month I have a FIT-FOR-ALL and there is no way to get the connection. I think I'll go crazy!! I will follow your instructions, but once the mobile and the FIT-FOR-ALL are connected to the TFT...it is not necessary to connect the mobile to the FIT-FOR-ALL...??? And the connection is always as a phone and not as a multipoint bluetooth?

Thanks !!!!!

Hi George !

I'm Alex, from Barcelona. First of all, thanks for sharing !

I own a CE04 and for a month I have a FIT-FOR-ALL and there is no way to get the connection. I think I'll go crazy!! I will follow your instructions, but once the mobile and the FIT-FOR-ALL are connected to the TFT...it is not necessary to connect the mobile to the FIT-FOR-ALL...??? And the connection is always as a phone and not as a multipoint bluetooth?

Thanks !!!!!

Hi Alex I share your frustration as I have experienced all of these issues in the past which is why I have prepared detailed instructions and guidance for others to use.  Based on your brief description, I am confident that the issues you are having are due to improper pairing and/or incorrect device setup. Maybe I am not understanding your comment ("ALL are connected to the TFT...it is not necessary to connect the mobile to the FIT-FOR-ALL...???"  but you should NOT be pairing your mobile/phone to your Fit-For-All.  The ONLY pairings that you should be making are: 1) mobile phone to TFT and 2) Fit-For-All to TFT. I am attaching two updated guidance documents, one for setting up the pairings (Phone > TFT and Fit For All > TFT), and one for establishing a good WI-FI communication between your phone and the TFT. I recommend you print these two documents out and you will need to follow these instructions EXACTLY.  It is also important to delete all bluetooth parings on the TFT, your phone, and your helmet as described in the instructions, before you start the pairing process. Please CONFIRM receipt of this information and let me know if you have problems or issues.  You can also communicate with me on Facebook Messenger.  Regards,  George Howroyd, Atlanta, USA

BMW R1250RT Pairing Procedure (Version 3.0).pdf WI-FI Connection Tips 2022 R1250RT V3.0.pdf

• 1 month later...
konacyclist

GeorgeH, Thank you for sharing this! I am having good luck with my '21 R1250RT but I appreciate the effort so I printed and filed both documents should I need them in the future.

• 2 months later...
professorb

I was gearing up for today's ride and noticed the Motorrad Connected app had indeed, "as if by magic", been updated to version 5.0.0. I did not even have to download the new version from the App Store. It was there for me. I live in southwestern Connecticut.

I was prompted to download the new maps, which I did. I then shut the iPhone off completely, then rebooted, then launched the Connected app.

Immediately noticed a big improvement in road hierarchy contrast -- significant roads are now a sturdy green color and are rendered somewhat broader - "bolder" - than in earlier versions of the app. There seems to be an attempt to do a better job labeling significant features within the map view. The text size is still too damn small to be useful -- does BMW really think these bikes are being bought by eighteen-year-olds? (Yeah, Grumpy Old Man time here.)

Most importantly, THE APP DID NOT DISCONNECT once during my sortie. As mentioned in other posts (other forums)  there are (were?) some dependable points in my local rides that forced the app to disconnect Maps Mode from the TFT. I had been buoyed by the new iPhone 14 Pro's ability to re-connect Maps Mode somewhat reliably, a big improvement over the old iPhone 11 Pro Max's capabilities. But today, for now, no disconnections at all. Be still my heart... can the fix we have been waiting for lo these past two long years finally be here?

The only hiccup occurred when I stopped for gas. The Connected app did reconnect to the TFT when I restarted the bike, but the Maps Mode connection did not immediately reengage. I had to take the phone from the compartment and swipe "up" on the Home Screen to reveal the Motorrad Connected app which was dutifully running in the background. Within seconds the Maps Mode was reconnected to the TFT and stayed so for the remainder of the ride.

So I think this is a major upgrade, a major improvement, and is about the way the app should have been two years ago when we first got our newfangled TFT bikes. Still needs work on the maps text size etc. etc., but I finally feel like I can ride somewhere meaningful with this setup.

Now, if BMW can figure out how to get my entire iPhone music library and playlists to appear in the Media menu...??!? Seems my "traveling" collection of just over 11,000 songs grouped into 84 playlists is too much for the savants in Spandau. But I'd rather have text I can read on my maps than functional playlists, just sayin'.

While we are at it, how about a redesigned charging/cooling compartment that will fit the newer iPhones' exuberant lens protrusions? Just sayin'... 

RussInParis

Interesting.  Mine still says 4.3.1.  Our RT is in France.  Maybe this is part of a new software rollout?  You'd think they'd start closer to home (Germany/Europe) if so.  Glad things seem more solid for you.

You can update to version 5.0 of the Connected App on the App Store and only takes a few minutes. Check for map updates as well for the areas where you want to travel. The updated app dramatically improves the maps. Not sure how that update  happens automatically for someone unless their phone is set to auto update the apps. Most update manually. The Dealer will need to update the TFT software on the bike to version 013-013-020 which is now available and it usually takes a while (3-6 hrs). This new version significantly improves the connectivity and stability of the wi-fi connection and the map projections on the TFT screen.  Mine only takes about 40-45 seconds now to completely connect and be ready to navigate (used to be about 2 minutes). 

RussInParis

Done. Maps downloading as well.  Have to check with dealer for software update.  Yes, VERY familiar with the 2+ mins for connecting.  Looking forward to the improvements.

Yep, the update to the Motorrad app happened last night for me.

Unfortunately it also required me to update the maps.

Didn't mention that anywhere until I went to start the bike and discovered I had zero maps on the phone.

Didn't want to download all that stuff over cellular so rode most of the day sans maps (old school!) and did the redownload of the maps later at home on wifi.

AD

professorb

I may have kicked myself in the yarbles...

As recounted above, I had the first absolutely "perfect" Connected app-to-TFT riding experience a few days ago shortly after upgrading the Motorrad Connected app to version 5.0.0. It wasn't really "perfect", but "close enough for rock 'n roll" as we say.

I used to tell my students about the SoHappy chip inside their computers -- clever technology that could detect when the user was content and happy, blithely pursuing whatever tasks at hand. At a certain threshold of happiness and contentment this mythical chip would signal the computer to crash causing the student to lose all their work in progress. This was my wan attempt to get them to look at file backups as a near-religious obligation. 

A version of that dang chip must be present in the dangity dang iPhone I'm using.

Not thinking as clearly as usual, a common state of affairs these days, I blithely allowed my iPhone to accept the latest signed update from Apple, iOS 16.5 (20F66). (I *think* I had been running 16.4.1 (20E252) prior to this update.)

On my next ride, NOTHING WORKED. The Connected app struggled to connect to the TFT display, Maps Mode all but refused to engage, and for the rare moments when the app was communicating with the Navigation system it would soon disconnect completely. This happened over and over, even after stopping repeatedly to restart the phone, restart the bike, attempt to re-synchronize the app to the TFT, and on and on...

I have reported all of this to the Motorrad Connected team -- there is no response as yet, but that wouldn't be a surprise if I am right in this conjecture that the newest software from Apple has forced the BMW programmers back to the table, or has possibly broken something else in the Phone that used to work. The Motorrad team may be getting a flood of problem reports.

I will get a chance to make another test ride tomorrow, so we will see what happens then. So frustrating, 'cause I was SO CLOSE!! SoHappy... So I thought...

I will keep y'all posted...

I just now upgraded to iOS 16.5 after reading your post. I also have Connected App V5.0 and the updated maps. I also have TFT software Version 020-013-013.  Just checked and all still works absolutely great, just as it did before the iOS update with no issues. My connection times (from a cold startup) is now only 45-50 seconds for full navigation maps and ready to go. Prior to the TFT software update to 020-013-013 it was 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.   You might try restarting your phone and the app before you try again. 

• Like 1
professorb
26 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

I just now upgraded to iOS 16.5 after reading your post. I also have Connected App V5.0 and the updated maps. I also have TFT software Version 020-013-013.  Just checked and all still works absolutely great, just as it did before the iOS update with no issues. My connection times (from a cold startup) is now only 45-50 seconds for full navigation maps and ready to go. Prior to the TFT software update to 020-013-013 it was 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

That is great to know... I am *praying* my last, horrible navigation experience was a product of some horrid sunspot activity, or whatever? It just drives me nuts that it could work so well one day, then practically not work at all two days later!

If you are still having issues, I would suggest you go through your pairings and also check your phone settings.  Refer to the attached to make sure your pairings and phone settings are set up correctly.  But.....it sounds from your problem description that your issues is likely with the wi-fi connection between the phone and the TFT which is what controls the map display on the TFT.  If that's the case, go through the attached WI-FI Connection Guidance (attached) which should help.

BMW 21-23 R1250RT WI-FI Connection V4.0.pdfBMW 21-23 R1250RT Pairing Procedure V4.0.pdf

professorb

Aha! I think I’ve solved the problem… at least my problem…

tl;dr — Log out of your Motorrad Connected account (in the app) then log back in. This may have fixed all the connectivity and stability issues I had been struggling with.

I went mega meshuga trying to figure out a fix for my suddenly non-stable navigation system. I get a bit OCD about these things. Cutting to the chase I tried deleting then reinstalling the app and re-downloaded the new maps. Needed to log in as part of that process. Still the same problem — gross problems with both the maps mode and app connectivity. Tried disconnecting the battery for a while thinking that might better “reset” the onboard computer… what do I know…? No change. Spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get the app to synchronize and hoping the maps mode would work. Nothing, nada, bupkis, stinko. I sent a long, detailed problem report to the Motorrad Connected team begging for help.

Five minutes after sending the email I had a twinkling of inspiration… the only thing I hadn’t tried was logging out of the app then logging back in. Why should that matter… I had already logged in when I downloaded and re-installed the app in my desperation? The app would not let me log out… curious. I shut down the phone, then rebooted. Went back to the app and this time was allowed to log out. Logged back in with my username/email and password. Boom, the app was back in play.

I turned on the bike, launched the app — the synchronization routine began, and the app was connected within about 20 seconds. As soon as this first layer of synchronization engaged the “starting map mode” sequence began, now requiring only 5 seconds to put the maps up on the TFT display. I waited for it to crash, but it didn’t. I next tried the “torture test” — using the multicontroller to turn off map mode in the Navigation screen, then turning it back on — IT WORKED flawlessly!

So that’s my adventure… so simple, but not necessarily obvious. Further testing to come…

Hope this helps someone struggling with similar issues!

Great that it’s working for you and that it’s working the way that it was designed. As a matter of practice I usually restart my phone before I embark on a long ride. Helps to clear out all the unused and accumulated open apps that don’t get closed and can potentially interfere. 

professorb

Nobody asked for this, but I had thrown it up on a different forum and thought it may help anyone still confused about the way the newer TFT displays need to be connected to the phone etc. GeorgeH's excellent write-ups should have erased all confusion... but some of us are visual learners.

*I reserve the right to be inaccurate, as I am just a rider/user and not a BMW engineer.*

TFT-ConnectedApp_Concepts.1.3.png

Edited by professorb
revised graphic w/ additional info for clarity

Great graphic!  Absolutely correct. Thanks for posting. Worth noting is that the only need for a cell service is for real time traffic info, otherwise it’s not used for navigation…….some people are confused about that. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, just curious if the BMW Connected app is different for my older 2020 TFT (with only BT), than the new TFTs with both WiFi and BT. Just curious. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, ELP said:

the BMW Connected app is different for my older 2020 TFT (with only BT), than the new TFTs with both WiFi and BT

There is only one Connected App but you get no maps, only turn by turn. The Connected Cradle is for you though, something that doesn't work for the 10" TFT crowd. Your phone in that cradle, or more precisely the App on your phone when in the cradle can be interacted with via your handle bar controls.

Oh, thanks. Yeah, I read about that new gizmo that latches onto the Nav cradle, right? Thing is I got rid of it the first day I got the bike, and somehow lost it (but kept the lock cylinder), so don't even have it anymore. Guess I'll look for a used one, in case I need it, and for resale. For now I could do 'turn by turn' with Google and my Cardo if needed, and phone in its tail bag pocket. Thank you very much for your help; greatly appreciated.

9 hours ago, ELP said:

I read about that new gizmo that latches onto the Nav cradle, right?

That is it, yes. 

9 hours ago, ELP said:

Thank you very much for your help; greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

Well described.

Not to hijack but I went on a short local ride today and could not get any map image to display. Upon return I checked the app and it did write my trip data on a blank sheet as a squiggly and correct graphic.

Getting in I started to play and set a destination and VOILA it told me to download the south FL map!!!!!!! What the heck I had downloaded all required maps before and now they all seem to have disappeared from my phone. Same old phone BUT I changed operator from ATT to T-Mobile. 

Anybody else experienced this recently?

I now downloaded the neighboring state maps by setting a destination that was in GA, NC, SC etc.

Seems to work now but FYI and if someone has some more insight to reasons for loss of map information on phone let us know.

H

Hey reading a little more in this chain I see it has been discussed already as a part of their app update. Sorry but now I know I'm not alone out there.

But it used to be that one could choose which maps to download and now for me it was only when I was routing through an "unmapped" area that is asked me to download the required map. 

I have not yet gotten into planning a route and then downloading it to the app, any advice or recommendations on that side?

H

I experienced the same when I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. But….I also switched to a new phone about a week or two later and of course that would require the maps to be downloaded again.  BTW, I’ve had a great experience with T-Mobile. 

So far all good I switche our entire lot of phones and iPads watches etc and saving money every month + I got over $500 in prepaid cards......

Battery and cooling question. 

The compartment for the phone just holds mine when not in its case a 12Pro. It gets awfully hot and has even shut off a couple of times when map app is on. The map apps including Waze, Google etc all are horrible power hogs and some chargers can not keep up.

Anyone sorted this out?

H

I have a 14Pro and it will not charge on the flat Qi charger in the compartment….presumably it has to do with the camera lenses that keep the phone from laying flat. I had an 11Pro and the wireless charger worked perfectly without overheating.  I now use a short 1ft USB-A to Lightning cable with the 14 Pro and all works well. Dealer has ordered another charger to see if that makes a difference. 

I have kept phone in bag and charging from "lighter" port with cable. 

Don't remember which for sure but I think it was charging when phone in one direction will go out and check. Checked and;

So when camera (top of phone) facing back it charges but not when facing forward. So stick phone in with connector forward and make sure the strap/pull hickey is not under the phone.

It seemed like the charging power was too little to keep it charged though, and it is without the cover.

In my BMW car it seems the charger does not give much when phone is in cover and have not tested without. It is a 2021 X5. 

I'm scheduled for svc on 19th  so will try to get through all of this and updates to sw when at dealer.

H

• 2 weeks later...

GRRRRRRRRRR

Hope y'all have figured out the gremlins in this area as I had until today after bike got updated sw. 

Got bike back from service. SW updated to 013-013-020 (in that order on bike display) and all data from before erased. 

Tried to pair my headsets with TFT first it took them but still said "cannot join" or similar. Did both helmets and left it at that.

Next pair phone, that worked as well on Bluetooth. 12pro phone.

Next WiFi and there I draw a blank. The blinking Wi-Fi symbol does not show on TFT at all. No network is detectable on phone, on nghub shows but requires password and I think it is a neighbors. All my own show up but not the bikes.

will let it sit tonight and attack it again in the morning but as I remember from prior sw version I had no problem with Wi-Fi connecting after I left house area but it did show up also in garage but jumped off as home was stronger. Now it doesn't even show up on phone. 

BMW 21-23 R1250RT Pairing Procedure V4.0.pdfBMW 21-23 R1250RT Pairing Procedure V4.0.pdfBMW 21-23 R1250RT Pairing Procedure V4.0.pdfSorry you're having troubles with your setup after the new SW update to 013-013-020.  You should NOT be having these issues as the new software was a dramatic improvement in terms of connectivity and it works great.  I for one have NEVER had any connection issues with the '22 RT that I have now for almost 1 1/2 years and 14,000 miles.  ZERO issues.  Mine works even better than it did prior to the latest software update.  I'm attaching two guidance documents that may help, one for BT pairings (Phone to TFT and Helmet to TFT), and one for Wi-Fi Connectivity (phone to bike).  Both documents have been reviewed, approved, and now used by BMW Motorrad as part of their guidance to users.  I suggest you follow the pairing document in particular and in detail, including the part about deleting all pairings on everything first, as it is VERY important to remove all residual pairings that might "linger".  Once you have the pairings verified correct, go through the Wi-Fi Connectivity guidance document.  Both of the guidance documents work and I have helped others set up their bikes dozens of times.  Using these very same procedures, it takes me a total of about 40 seconds to connect from a cold startup and be ready to go.  This compares to about 2 minutes prior to the new SW update.  For me, a cold startup consists of: 1) opening the Connected App before approaching the bike, 2) Turn on the bike and wait for the bike's wi-fi to connect with the phone which normally takes about 30-35 seconds, 3) When the phone asks you to "Join Wi-Fi", tap YES., and 4) after about 5 - 10 seconds it should connect.   Once it's connected, turn on your helmet and it should connect to BT quickly.  My home Wi-Fi is always connected to my phone when I'm at home and in the garage and I no longer have to take any steps to disconnect it and it does not interfere with the bike's Wi-Fi.  Not sure how your phone is set up so your results may vary.  I recall that we talked some time ago (in mid-BMW 21-23 R1250RT WI-FI Connection V4.0.pdf2021 I think) by phone.  If you need to talk live again, let me know.  George H.  

BMW 21-23 R1250RT WI-FI Connection V4.0.pdf

Thanks George,

we did speak when all was new and yesterday and today I did just what your docs said except that I disconnected phone from all home networks. It did immediately connect the helmet to TFT and phone showed the BMW Wi-Fi and asked to join and all seem to work.

As you said it is a lot faster now and I will now experiment with leaving home network on as default and see if asks to join AND if it retains that connection because earlier I always had to stop when out of home reach and then join as it dropped the connection before I had time to leave home coverage.

Thanks again.

H

Excellent!  Glad to hear that it's working again.  Keep me posted! And let me know if you have any questions or need to discuss live.  George

On 6/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, GeorgeH said:

George I can't thank you enough, I've be trying for over a year to pair my phone to the helmet so I could hear a V1 radar detector via the Bluetooth app., like you said nothing but problems.  Unfortunately  I haven't found a way to get an audio signal into the helmet from the V1! 

My '21RT works flawlessly using similar steps to those outlined in the previous posts, its exceptionally convenient, and I liked not having to drop another $500 plus bucks on a GPS and mounting system. I used a short usb charge cable for a year being sceptical of the contact charging capability. After testing the contact charging I'm now cable free. 

This is great to hear. And I agree that the BMW Integrated TFT system works great and far better than the out of date stand-alone GPS systems like the Garmin Nav units that I have used on a number of previous BMW bikes. The only real hurdle that people seem to have with the Integrated TFT system is taking the time to understand how the system is designed to operate and following the simple guidance to setting up their phone, helmet, and bike properly so that they can realize the benefits and seamless operation that this advanced system provides. Not only is it easy to use, but it’s far safer than anything else out there. 

As far as the wireless charger, my previous iPhone 11Pro worked great with it. But when I switched to a 14Pro, it will not charge. Others have the same issues and I’m working with BMW to find out why it won’t charge on the bike but it charges fine in my two BMW cars. In the meantime I’m using a short charging cable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 9:37 PM, GeorgeH said:

As far as the wireless charger, my previous iPhone 11Pro worked great with it. But when I switched to a 14Pro, it will not charge. Others have the same issues and I’m working with BMW to find out why it won’t charge on the bike but it charges fine in my two BMW cars. In the meantime I’m using a short charging cable. 

Just picked up my new R1250RT Sport and I can get it all working thanks to the helpful salesman and I too have a iphone 14 Pro and lost about 30% charge in a 48 minute ride. The charging pad clearly did not work :(

The salesman said I had to keep the connected app open (no screen saver) phone unlocked in that compartment for it all to work.

Is that right?

I can see the iphone battery going dead flat in a short order if that's the case and I may have to chase up a short USB cable if that's the case, not ideal if the charging pad does not work?

The other solution is to get a cheaper phone that's smaller and flatter as a dedicated phone for that purpose and but data for the phone when going away on trips?

Yes, you have to keep the connected app open and always in the foreground for the wi-fi connection to be maintained.  (And that has nothing to do with the charging of the phone).  That means if you stop and check your email or texts, you must always remember to tap the Connected App icon again to bring it to the foreground.  And yes, phone must be unlocked.  For the charging, I have the same issue in that it will not charge my 14Pro.  I've tried all positions and no luck. The tech did put his 14 pro Max in and it would charge and it's the same size as the Pro.  The green light inside the compartment on the right side that comes on when you put in your phone will turn constant green if it is charging.  Otherwise It will flash and turn yellow (?) if it is not connected.  I have an appointment with the dealertomottow morning to replace the charger to see if that will help.  I'm not optimistic but I'll see what happens.  For now, I use a 1 ft. USB-A to Lightning cable that I bought on Amazon that works perfectly (3 for $10 or something like that).  Once you get used to putting it in with the 1 ft cable it only takes a few seconds and I'm OK with that until I find a solution to the wireless charger.  Batteries do not last long on any phone if you are using constant GPS and that's what the phone is doing when it's connected, so if you do not have it on a charger it will drain it completely if you do not watch it.  A couple of weeks ago I went for a 3 or 4 hour ride and  after about 3 hours the maps stopped and I realized that the phone had shut off because the battery was almost dead.  Turns out I did not have my charging cable installed correctly and it was never on charge.  Once I got it connected properly everything was OK from then on. I'm in the habit now of checking the battery icon on the TFT a little more frequently to make sure it's keeping up.  BTW, my 14 Pro is my everyday phone and I have no issues.  I do have an old phone (iPhone 7) that I keep that I can take as a backup for trips but I have to activate it if I do that.  So far I've never needed it and I have full confidence in my setup.  Never had an issue.  Ever.

Attached is an updated guidance document for Pairing and Wi-Fi stability for the 21-23 RTs.  This is a more comprehensive document tha the prior versions 1.0 through 4.0 that I have posted previously on this and other sites.  (Thanks to ProfessorB on this site for the connection schematic!)  This is a more comprehensive document than the prior versions and contains more detail, particularly for those who are not confident in these kinds of setups or how the system is designed to operate.  With the more recent TFT software updates (current is 013-013-020), and theConnected App updates (Version 5.0.1 was just released, the connections are MUCH faster and more stable.   Let me know if you have any questions.  

BMW 21-23 R1250RT TFT Pairing Setup & Operation V5.0.pdf

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Yes, you have to keep the connected app open and always in the foreground for the wi-fi connection to be maintained.  (And that has nothing to do with the charging of the phone).  That means if you stop and check your email or texts, you must always remember to tap the Connected App icon again to bring it to the foreground.  And yes, phone must be unlocked.  For the charging, I have the same issue in that it will not charge my 14Pro.  I've tried all positions and no luck. The tech did put his 14 pro Max in and it would charge and it's the same size as the Pro.  The green light inside the compartment on the right side that comes on when you put in your phone will turn constant green if it is charging.  Otherwise It will flash and turn yellow (?) if it is not connected.  I have an appointment with the dealertomottow morning to replace the charger to see if that will help.  I'm not optimistic but I'll see what happens.  For now, I use a 1 ft. USB-A to Lightning cable that I bought on Amazon that works perfectly (3 for $10 or something like that).  Once you get used to putting it in with the 1 ft cable it only takes a few seconds and I'm OK with that until I find a solution to the wireless charger.  Batteries do not last long on any phone if you are using constant GPS and that's what the phone is doing when it's connected, so if you do not have it on a charger it will drain it completely if you do not watch it.  A couple of weeks ago I went for a 3 or 4 hour ride and  after about 3 hours the maps stopped and I realized that the phone had shut off because the battery was almost dead.  Turns out I did not have my charging cable installed correctly and it was never on charge.  Once I got it connected properly everything was OK from then on. I'm in the habit now of checking the battery icon on the TFT a little more frequently to make sure it's keeping up.  BTW, my 14 Pro is my everyday phone and I have no issues.  I do have an old phone (iPhone 7) that I keep that I can take as a backup for trips but I have to activate it if I do that.  So far I've never needed it and I have full confidence in my setup.  Never had an issue.  Ever.

Thanks for your assistance and the updated notes which I will print off and refer to if needed, you're right the lenses on the 14 pro are quite chunky (great pictures from the phone though) and do cause issues. I guess we can't have everything yet!

it's mid winter here at the moment so once the fog and frost is gone it's time to fire up the RT and get some more kilometres on the bike.

Happy to say the TFT system has been working very well, I've ordered a short right angled lightning to USB cable off amazon to stop the battery discharging so fast. No longish rides here yet, the longest being about 37km and battery drain was substantial.

The cable arrives early to mid August shipping seems to be slow thesedays!

I've also got the TFT paired with my Cardo Freetalk 4+ and music and instructions coming through loud and clear through those mini JBL speakers.

It really is nice when it all works as it should, just need to get that phone charged.

RussInParis
7 hours ago, Teddy said:

just need to get that phone charged.

For what it's worth, I use an Iphone 12 Pro Max and it fits in the slot and receives an induction charge.  I've done all day rides with it and still had a charge at the end.  The 12PM is 6.33x3.07x.29 inches HxWxD and the 14PM is 6.33x3.05x0.31 inches HxWxD according to Apple, so it's strange that the 14 doesn't fit.  When I put it in I need to move the tab back to it's max for the length of the phone but the width is totally fine, so I would have thought that the 14 would work as well.

Actually my 14Pro does fit even with an Apple silicone case (tight but it does fit).  But it won't charge wirelessly and I'm not the only one who seems to have that issue with phones after the 12 models.  I've tried every possible position, with and without the case with no results.  My prior 11Pro charged perfectly on the wireless charger and I never had any issues for over a year.  It is suspected by those with problems that the protruding camera lenses (which seem to stick out farther on the 14Pro than on any other iPhone) may be contributing to the problem, BUT....... I have three BMW cars/SUVs, all with inductive charges and the 14Pro charges without issue on all of them.  I've been to  the Apple Store and they checked out the 14Pro for me and no problem on their chargers.  Also checked it out on someones VW Toureg and it charged fine on that charger.  I had it in to the dealer last week to change the wireless charger under warranty to see if that would help and it did not. Service Manager was going back to BMW to advise and request next steps to solve the issue. I talked to him just now and he said that BMW has no immediate solution and he will escalate this to higher levels and see where it goes.  It's looking (to me) like the wireless charger on the bike may not have enough power to connect with and charge the phone?  For those who are able to charge their phones using the charger, some (not all) are reporting that it can either barely keep up or there is only a partial charge at the end of a long day.  For now, I'll just keep using a short cable to keep it on wired charge in the charging compartment.  I really like that compartment because it is waterproof!

On 7/18/2023 at 5:02 PM, RussInParis said:

For what it's worth, I use an Iphone 12 Pro Max and it fits in the slot and receives an induction charge.  I've done all day rides with it and still had a charge at the end.  The 12PM is 6.33x3.07x.29 inches HxWxD and the 14PM is 6.33x3.05x0.31 inches HxWxD according to Apple, so it's strange that the 14 doesn't fit.  When I put it in I need to move the tab back to it's max for the length of the phone but the width is totally fine, so I would have thought that the 14 would work as well.

Yeah I've experimented a lot too, upside down as well as facing normally and still does not charge, the lenses are quite fat and I suspect the BMW does not have enough kick to charge it. I have moved the tab back as far as possible but for some reason the 14 Pro will not charge. It works on my Tesla Model 3 ok, it works on the inductive charger at home so I know it's not the phone.

I have ordered a right angled cable off amazon but I'm worried that it might be such a tight fit that it might not work. I won't be able to test it for a few weeks though as I'm off to Queensland for a couple of weeks and then I fly to Perth so not much riding in the forseeable future.

• 1 month later...

I too can’t get my iPhone 13 mini to charge. The charge pad was replaced under warranty at break in service but it still won’t charge my 13 mini. The service guys 14 wouldn’t charge. HOWEVER, it now will charge my wife’s iPhone 13! I too have tried cover, no cover, different cover to no avail. BMW needs to hear how these cradles just don’t work with many iPhones, especially newer ones.

I posted the following information regarding the wireless charger capabilities on another site on July 31st. This is based on a recent update that I received from BMW in Munich. 

Wireless Charging Update (From BMW) (July 31, 2023)

I previously reported that I had the dealer check out my wireless charger and its inability to charge my iPhone 14 Pro, even though it would charge on other flat Qi inductive chargers. He confirmed what I already knew: that it would not charge.  He checked with BMW NA warranty support who advised him to replace the charger (which he did), and with no change or improvement. For me, this was an expected result. He said he would escalate and advise and I have not yet heard back from the dealer. In the meantime I reached out to a contact that I have at Motorrad in Munich and I explained the situation to him and asked for feedback. I told him where I was on this and he checked with his team and he relayed the following to me today:

“Good to hear from you again George. We know about the problem. The MagSafe interferes with the particular inductive charger that is on the bike. We were not aware of MagSafe at the time of current RT development. As there will be no more changes within the RT anymore, you should use cable charging to ensure a proper charging. Switching back to the iPhone 11 might not be a proper suggestion…”

I guess this makes sense since the initial development of the bike was before MagSafe was even on the market and available on iPhones, beginning with the 12 series. So, what this means is that iPhone 12 through iPhone 14 series phones will not be able to reliably charge on the inductive chargers. (I recall that some on this site have been able to get a 12 to charge without the case.) I assume that the reference to “no more changes within the RT anymore” means that they are now working on the next generation and the current model is no longer being revised or updated.

For me, I have already been using wired charging in the charging compartment for some time now.  Once I got used to handling the phone when inserting and removing, it was no more trouble than using the wireless charger with my 11 Pro. My main reason for using the compartment is that it is waterproof, and nothing else.

Given this information, I am surprised that my dealer was advised by BMW NA to change the charger under warranty but I let him try anyway. 

9 hours ago, Daveyator said:

I too have tried cover, no cover, different cover to no avail.

Did you try putting the phone in "feet" first? My 12 Pro Max work phone charges that way but not the "right way" in.