IGNORED

2021 RT TFT Connection Problem

CruisinCruzan

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Well,  as it turns out the dealer says that the software version that Steffan Kraft at BMW Germany told me was now available (he even gave me version numbers in an email) is NOT available yet. He could not see that version in the computer system  and therefore could not install it. He did however update my software to a version that was available a few weeks ago but it did not help. In fact it made it worse since I now have no voice directions or media sound. I’ve tried all the tricks I know of and can’t get the voice direction or media sound. Not happy!

Bummer, sorry to hear that. So the Farcebook guy's experience is confirmed. I nearly took my bike to the dealer last Friday to get the same done. So glad I did not.

The dealer is trying to run this down and find out how to get the correct updated download. I will update when I get the correct software download. I have also emailed the support guy at BMW in Germany. 

• Like 1

So we've had much better results recently. (Our setup: Cardo Pactalk Bold for my wife & I, Iphone 12 Pro Max). I again deleted all existing pairings on the Cardo Pactalk Bold and then paired it to the RT. Turned bluetooth off on the iPhone and turned on RT first then enabled Bluetooth and let it link. Also turned off automatic join for home wifi and turned it on for the RT wifi. 

Doing this we now have voice route indications and music from the media player (Spotify on my iphone).  So far it only plays one song and then stops and I need to go to the media page and wheel right to get it to play the next one.  Not sure what that is.

Oh, also much better routing using tracks rather than just points. 

So pretty happy.  Will finish our break-in period this week.

Dealer called me Saturday late afternoon and said that the new software update ( the one that BMW Germany told me would take care of all these problems) was in the process of downloading to their shop computer. I will be getting this software upgrade installed by the dealer this week (maybe tomorrow) and I’m (again) anxious to see if this will solve all the issues. At present I’m still having TFT-phone disconnects (wi-fi failure) and back to no voice instructions. I’ll again try what RussinParis (and Hati) suggested with turning off and on the Bluetooth. I’m frustrated since prior to my most recent update I had voice commands working. 

With media play and pausing after a song, people use button 1 to keep it going. I don't use media while riding so can't confirm this, but seems to be working for some.

RussinParis - can you elaborate on your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi procedure to get the voice commands to work? I have tried this and everything else that I know to get the voice commands back and am having no luck at all.  Making a phone call previously triggered the audio for me but not now.  I know my helmet comm system works because I can make phone calls. My helmet is paired with the tft  and phone is paired with the tft. I had everything working perfectly (except for the random tft-phone disconnect issue) and the audio went away when dealer installed latest software update last week that HE had available but it’s still not the most current correct one and I’m getting that this week. 

Sure. I think part of our problem might have been the pactalk bolds still pairing with my phone, so I first reset their pairings and re-paired them only with the RT, not the phone.  On the phone, it would have trouble getting the wifi for mapping mode as it always wanted to stick with the home wifi network, so I turned off the auto-join for the home network.

On one outing last week we stopped several times and the second time when we left I did not get voice instructions or music.  So the third time we stopped I decided to start similar to how we started the trip: 1. turn off the bluetooth and the wifi of the phone first, 2. turn the RT on, wait for it to initialize, 3. turn on the bluetooth, verify the connection,  4. turn on wifi and launch the app.  After about 20 secs it connects via wifi and mapping mode starts on the TFT.  Then I put the phone in the side pocket, verify the green charging light and ride away.  It doesn't seem to matter when the packtalk bolds are turned on or off as long as they are only paired to the RT.

That worked during our trip, so it's now SOP.

Thanks for the clarifications. Unfortunately none of this works to restore voice commands and media. Hopefully the new software update that will be installed in a day or two will take care of this. 

Question for RussinParis. So if your Pactalk headset is not paired directly to your phone and only through the TFT connect don't you lose the cardo app connect?

3 minutes ago, PODMAN said:

Question for RussinParis. So if your Pactalk headset is not paired directly to your phone and only through the TFT connect don't you lose the cardo app connect?

Yes, but the Cardo app is only for setting parameters & doing upgrades; when I need it I pair the Packtalks to the phone and then remove the pairing on the Packtalks afterwards.  Bit of a pain, but I ride much more often than I change parameters on the communicators.

Which brings up another question Ha. Do the cardo commands still work like "Hey cardo call Jim" etc or is everything done through the TFT screen? Will Hey Siri work?

44 minutes ago, PODMAN said:

Which brings up another question Ha. Do the cardo commands still work like "Hey cardo call Jim" etc or is everything done through the TFT screen? Will Hey Siri work?

They do not. The TFT inbetween the headset and phone removes that functionality. As far as Cardo is concerned, there is no phone connected. On my Freecom 4+ the TFT is announced as GPS, even though it's paired as a phone.

16 minutes ago, Hati said:

They do not. The TFT inbetween the headset and phone removes that functionality. As far as Cardo is concerned, there is no phone connected. On my Freecom 4+ the TFT is announced as GPS, even though it's paired as a phone.

Actually on our packtalk bolds the TFT is announced as a phone.  'Hey Cardo battery status' works, but I must admit I have not tried anything else, and that one's easy; it's just to the cardo unit itself.

I have received phone calls and initiated them using the wonder wheel only.  I'll try 'Hey Siri' but I'd be surprised if this worked.  That would be very useful though.

Thanks for the insight guys. After riding BMW's since 1996 and riding in general for 50 years I like the way technology is going (finally) when it comes to this. It is nice not having wires or gadgets all over the place. The TFT seems fairly intuitive to me navigating it.  BMW being so safety conscious needs to get this to voice command integration on this bike like apple CarPlay in a car. That would be the way to go.

Yesterday I had my 2021 R1250RT software updated to revision 4.31.16 (Version 012_007_030 as shown under Settings>Information>Software Version) as indicated in August 24th guidance provided to me by BMW Germany. This is said (by BMW) that this revision should take care of all of the problems that (we) have been experiencing over the past many months.  This is my second software update (the first attempt was not the most recent version) to try and reconcile the problems and the tft system is still not functioning correctly. The audio is not working for NAV or Media although the audio was working properly before the first software update. Prior to this the system was unstable and the wireless (phone to tft) would not stay reliably connected.  Specifically the current problems and symptoms are:

1. NO GPS audio voice directions.
2. NO Media audio
3. Telephone audio works properly
4. Maps on tft appear to work properly (during 1-hr test ride)

My iOS is current on my iPhone 11pro. 
Phone was shut down and restarted prior to re-pairing everything. 
Connected app is current. 
After the new tft software install, I reset the tft to factory specs and I re-paired phone to tft, and re-paired the helmet headset (BMW fit-for-all comm system) to the tft.
“Spoken Instructions” are confirmed ON in the Navigation Setup. Phone volume is confirmed fully ON. TFT volume is confirmed fully ON. Nav instructions are confirmed ON in the Connected App. 

I performed these steps (several times) at the dealership and discussed all of the steps with the service manager. I also used a BMW flow chart provided to me by the Service Manager to verify that the setup was consistent with BMW guidance. Despite taking these steps, I still have no voice direction audio or media audio. I keep thinking that I MUST be missing something simple but I am out of ideas. The most frustrating thing is that the audio worked well prior to the first software upgrade and then it stopped.  I had hoped that the second and most recent upgrade would take care of it but it did not.

Anyone have any addition al suggestions or insight?  I have sent many emails to BMW's ConnectedRide Support email address and I have followed all of the guidance provided by BMWs Steffan Kraft, without success. I have also sent this same information to the Connectedride support email address (Steffan Kraft) but it usually takes 1 - 2 weeks for him to respond. 

• Thinking 1

Well that's quite frustrating.

The fact that you get audio for phone functions to me means all the pairing is all good and TFT, phone and helmet bluetooth are all functioning.  I think someone said phone+media+gps volume are actually controlled separately on the iphone but it's difficult to access the separate volume controls. You have to do things like have the gps give vocal instructions as you adjust the volume to change it.

That's all I've got.  Not so helpful I know.

Makes me wonder if I should get that update since I just got everything working...

3 hours ago, RussInParis said:

Makes me wonder if I should get that update since I just got everything working...

Well, I know I won't be rushing to the dealer as my setup works ok too with only the occasional map disconnect. Will just sit back and wait on this one me thinks :D

On 9/2/2021 at 9:49 AM, GeorgeH said:
Yesterday I had my 2021 R1250RT software updated to revision 4.31.16 (Version 012_007_030 as shown under Settings>Information>Software Version) as indicated in August 24th guidance provided to me by BMW Germany. This is said (by BMW) that this revision should take care of all of the problems that (we) have been experiencing over the past many months.  This is my second software update (the first attempt was not the most recent version) to try and reconcile the problems and the tft system is still not functioning correctly. The audio is not working for NAV or Media although the audio was working properly before the first software update. Prior to this the system was unstable and the wireless (phone to tft) would not stay reliably connected.  Specifically the current problems and symptoms are:

FWIW your post is nearly impossible to read as your cut/paste job changes the color so it becomes invisible for people in dark mode.

BMW got called out on the recent reviews of the two new R18 models for how bad the TFT software was, BMW even warned riders against pairing to it as another rider might not be able to use the bike in turn

I have isolated (I think) the audio problem (ie, no NAV voice directions, no media audio) to the BMW comm system. (BMW Fit-For-All)  in my helmet. I paired a wireless BT speaker to the tft (as a riders helmet) and it works perfectly…….so it’s NOT the BT link. I also installed a new BMW helmet comm in my helmet thinking I had a defective comm unit but had the same problem with the new unit. All these audio problems started with the first software upgrade and it did not change with the second software upgrade (the one that BMW said would take care of these issues). The BMW comm systems I have are SENA units (both brand new) and I checked for upgrades and my two units are current. Also, the instability of the wireless connection between the tft and the phone did not improve with the second software upgrade. 

CruisinCruzan

My dealer (MAX) said that they are hoping to have the TFT update in 2-3 weeks. Yesterday did a 550 mile ride. The phone lost connection to the bike 3 times early in the ride. It then stabilized the last ~400 miles. Unfortunately during the last 300 miles the audio instructions for the Nav system stopped working. I am unable to get that working although in a 5 hour ride today I did not lose the wifi connection once. I can't believe how poorly this system performs.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 3:07 AM, 60Aviator said:

On another forum BMW is now saying October for the major TFT update to fix connectivity issues. 

Dealer here in France said it will be available this week (the 15th), but they only have three computers to do the upgrade and it takes several hours (I think he said six?!?) so they will need to space out people wanting to have it done.  I will be going ahead with this.  Also waiting for a new latch assembly for a side case that jammed so hopefully can get everything done at once.

I have been working with the R&D team directly to try and remotely sort out the problems that I have been having with my TFT/Nav/Media and I was told by the development team rep that the next planned software upgrade will be December. Not sure what update that would be in October because they've never mentioned it.  The most current one that I got in September was version 012_007_030 and that was the last major one.  That update didn't change a thing for me as far as connectivity goes.  They did add a couple of other things to the display, one of which was the ability to program the 4 console buttons  rather than having them pre-assigned.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from dealer after getting software upgrade on TFT (012_007_030).  Only a short ride back, but everything worked great (except I forgot to pair the comms with the TFT so no voice instructions yet). Did notice the ability to program the Favourites buttons which is very useful.  I'll try that shortly.

Tech said that reports he heard were that as far as the connection issue this version was 'better' but still needed more work and that there will be another upgrade in November.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:08 PM, Hati said:

With media play and pausing after a song, people use button 1 to keep it going. I don't use media while riding so can't confirm this, but seems to be working for some.

This worked in fact. Bit of a pain to have to keep pushing it after every song but better than no music at all. It's also a Pause when a song is playing which is useful.  However with the October TFT software upgrade it's now up to me to program that function for Button 1.  If anyone knows what that function would be called, please advise.

13 hours ago, RussInParis said:

If anyone knows what that function would be called, please advise.

There is a list of fixed functions that you can assign to the 4 buttons. From memory all are self explanatory (pretty much). Just try out what you think sounds right ;)

First "real" ride (but only about one hour) with software upgrade and helmets paired.  Did not find a button function for Pause/Play media, just Media. Mapped this to button one but still need a right wheel push to start the music. OTOH, spotify stream played continuously which was a welcome change from having to push button one after every song as was the case with the previous software version.  Volume level was very good (had media playback volume all the way up on the iphone 12).  My SO reported that the music quality was much better than the previous software version which seemed to have dropouts and poor quality.

Everything worked quite well; maps, music, vocal directions, intercom for the trip.  It's still takes it a little long to do all the connections when you start, and of course this was a short ride, but quite satisfied.   The RT also seems to be running better; now at about 3k kms.  BMW sales guy said it should continue to run better for the first 10k kms.

I do wish they could have a vocal assistant pass-through function so you could use Siri/Google on your phone. Kind of a natural application for motorcycling I would think.

I think the button program function you’re looking for is “Mute”, which is the first one on the list. It seems to double as a simple Mute for audio input as well as a Pause for streaming media input although sometimes it doesn’t work the way I think it should so I need to look closer.  The Media program function you’re referring to is simply a shortcut to get to Media rather than going through the menu using the thumbwheel. You can do the same for My Vehicle or Navigation, etc. it’s useful once you get used to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping in now as i had the bike since may and have had no updates. I cannot get voice nav instructions media i can play from phone library but not streaming (12pro).

I also got the comm unit as a gift when buying the bike, it doesnt work at all, cannot get the headsets to charge, neither one so I am using an old UCLEAR  or VYBE unit. Since I have two bikes i have to alternate beween TFT/phone  connection and helmet/ phone depending on bike 2006RT or 2021RT.

Last issue is trying to connect Hyper -Lites for brake lights but got stopped in track when opening harness and not finding familiar color wires, to hype lite instructions.......

Love the 21 bike though...

H

1 hour ago, bimmers said:

i had the bike since may and have had no updates

You need to see your dealer for the update. It fixes some of the issues and makes the 4 buttons on the left of the tank programmable. If your comms don't charge as per their manual, take it back to your dealer. Should have warranty even if it was given to you as a gift.

The brake light (I responded to your other thread post thirst) as per the other thread,  needs to connect to the colours the poster before you (in the other thread) listed. Ground and brake light functions are required to make auxiliary brake lights work, usually. Forget the brake light colour list that came with the light. Match the colours in the list given to you.

Bimmers - The two headsets you were provided by BMW are the "BMW Fit-For-All" comm systems.  I have the same units and they actually work great....great volume and long battery life.  They are the ONLY comm systems that will allow you to control ALL aspects of NAV, phone, Media, and Volume using the all in one command (thumbwheel) on the left handlebar.  No other comm system will allow you to do all of that.  When set up correctly, everything will work.  Your lack of audio tells me that you do NOT have your phone and headset paired correctly.  It is easy to do this wrong and there's a long list of folks who have done so.  It is very important that your headset is NOT paired to the phone.  If both of your headsets are not charging, I expect that you are using a bad AC to USB charger, OR the wall plug is bad. OR the battery is not connected properly to the headset control unit.  When charging, the light on the headset controller shows RED, when charged it shows BLUE.  Try setting up one headset (out of the helmet) and charge the battery with a charger that you are certain works properly. That should work.

Here are the complete and correct pairing instructions for the BMW Fit-For-All comm system.  You must follow the instructions exactly without any variation (ask me how I know!). These instructions were provided to me directly by the BMW TFT R&D team in Munich.  They work. 

1.       Delete all pairings:

a.       Switch Fit4All ON,  go to "configuration menu” (press and hold the “BMW” button on Fit4All), select "delete all pairings” (shortly press “+” button repeatedly until you hear “delete all pairings” and execute “delete all pairings” by pressing the “BMW” button. Switch Fit4All OFF

b.       Switch bike ON, go to “connections menu” in the cluster, delete all pairings. Switch bike OFF

c.       Go to the Bluetooth menu of the iPhone, turn Bluetooth ON, delete all helmet pairings and all “BMW Motorrad XXXXX” pairings on the phone.

2.       Pair everything

a.       Pair bike with phone

i.      Turn on bike (wait >1min to turn back on again, after you had switched it off. This assures that the ECU has powered down and saved all data correctly)

ii.      Wait until the connections menu on the bike becomes available

iii.      Activate iPhone and go to the Bluetooth menu on the iPhone, turn Bluetooth ON  on the iPhone (iPhone is only visible for the cluster, when Bluetooth menu is shown on the iPhone)

iv.      In the connections menu of the cluster select “Mobile device” and “Pair new mobile device”. Wait until the phone’s Bluetooth name is shown on the cluster and start the pairing process by selecting the phone on the cluster (do not start the pairing process by selecting the cluster’s Bluetooth name on the phone).

v.      Wait until pairing process has finished, make sure that all rights which are requested on the phone (e.g. contact download) are granted

vi.      The phone is now paired and connected to the bike

b.       Pair Fit4All with bike

i.      Bike is still ON

ii.      Turn Fit4All ON by pressing the BMW symbol and the “+” button on Fit4All simultaneously for ~2sec

iii.      Press and hold the BMW symbol on Fit4All until you hear “Configuration menu”.

iv.      Release the BMW button as soon as you hear “configuration menu”

v.      Shortly press the “+” button once, you should hear “Phone Pairing”. The Fit4All system is now ready to be paired (NOTE that you are NOT pairing the phone in this step to the helmet, rather you are merely pairing the helmet "as if" it were a phone to the TFT.

vi.      In the connections menu of the cluster choose “Rider’s helmet” and select “Pair new rider’s helmet”. The cluster should find the helmet. Select the helmet’s name in the list on the cluster and wait until the helmet is paired.

vii.      The system is now ready to go.

Important note for re-connection of your devices:

If you should decide to pair your Fit4All directly with the iPhone (e.g. because you ride a bike without BMW TFT and decide to hear music directly from the phone), it is necessary to delete all pairings on Fit4All and pair it again with your TFT when you want to ride your 1250RT next time.

• Like 1

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

So when I finally get all paired to bike on bluetooth side the WiFi stopped working.

Bike doesnt send out any signal for joining as it did before, at least I cannot find it on phone, deleted all home connections etc. but no motorrad connection shows up.

will ride to dealer in the morning but not expecting much from there, hope I will be surprised.

Also returning the fit for all headsets as they do not charge at all, never did, so I hope they will take them as warranty issue to be brought to BMW USA. 

Another few hours of agony.........

hans

I know you’re frustrated and I can certainly relate as I’ve been there and suffered through it. Some suggestions and comments:

If the “wi-fi” (really just a form of Bluetooth connection in this application)  is not connecting after you agree to “join wi-fi”, try pressing the spinning wheel in the upper right corner of your phone screen that shows “starting map mode”. It will bring up the “join wi-fi” window again. Try joining again a few times. You can repeat this as necessary. If this still doesn’t work/connect, try turning off the bike again and waiting at least one minute for the CPU to clear and then restart the process. If the “wi-fi” never connects are you sure the phone is connected properly to the TFT?  Dumb question, just asking since ALL of this depends on the communication between the phone and the TFT. 

As far as the fit4all headsets, it’s really odd that BOTH units are not charging and not working. Are you trying more than one USB charger? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I’m just wondering if the charger you’re using could be bad. Easy enough to check when the fit4all’s are not installed in the helmet. 

To make sure the audio was working when I was having audio problems, I paired a portable Bluetooth speaker to the TFT (as the riders helmet) and everything worked perfectly via the speaker. This confirmed the correctness of the pairing. I can’t stress enough how important the pairing process is (for which I included the specific details here previously for the fit4all units). 

Also……try updating your iPhone iOS and rebooting your phone before you do all this. Also make sure you have the most up to date Connected App installed as well. 

what software version do you have on your bike?  011 or 012?

I dont even get the join prompt now, no icon blinking on TFT. Start map mode doesnt show up at all. I reinstalled the app, I removed all connections and only connected phone to TFT not to headset at all.

I removed home WiFi connections, still nothing. On App it shows last connection was yesterday and data is from that time. Now it also shows 14 day trial as it is not connected to a bike, but pulled info from server, which did not include VIN nr. 

Heading to Dealer this morning so lets see what they say. My assumption is that the TFT side has some "bits" missing or crossed now. 

On Fit for all, I have tried different chargers, different cables etc, all I get is a slight red blink while inserting charging cable and same for all cables. Trying to get it to stay in that "blink" position not possible, and yes both units do the same, weird. Never got a chance to try the comm unit.

Phone SW is almost up to date 14.8 , 15 is installing tonight.

Bike SW is 11-07-0035

I am fairly resourceful and technical and have time as retired but with these I draw a blank right now.

I did send a message to BMW through App as well.

thanks

Hans 

Edited by bimmers
additional info

Update;

1. Dealer just booked a time next week, no suggestions one way or another.

2. Reset all to factory settings, renewed bluetooth connection to phone, and to headset, all ok

3. Got app to connect and update Bike data and the arrow for navigation. Start map mode came up and WiFi came up with join request and there it stops. Just spinning.

It also shows in orange underneath WiFi connection that it is not connected to internet, I suppose the phone internet connection is needed and need to see why phone would not connect to internet when not on home  WiFI. Phone does now at least go on internet on LTE , will continue to check the connections and all.

H

6 hours ago, bimmers said:

Bike SW is 11-07-0035

That is the old software. The newest is 12_000_030 The dealer should update that at your booking, but ask them to anyway.  It'll take around 3 hours. Many of your symptoms sound like the old software and the new app version interaction issues.

Good luck.

Update

miraculously everything connected this morning with no hesitation. 
taking bike in next Wednesday and ask them to just update SW all else is fine.

the issue with Fit for All headsets I try to get dealer to deal with gift under warranty I assume as they were part of bike purchase while chip shortage made tpm and radio unavailable. 
tpm another issue and dealers in Atl and here in FL have no info on that subject.

that's all folks

thanks for all help

Hans 

Dealer better not charge for update........

but just wait and they BMW start to charge for all functions on cars etc monthly through subscriptions again....... better not.

Still waiting for Apple Car play on bike.

hans 

They did not charge me as the updates (I had two) were required in an attempt to help with the connectivity issues I was having.  Both were done as a warranty claim. Having said that, the update to 012-  did not eliminate the issues I was having although there was eventually some limited improvement.   The most recent update was primarily released to deal with the connectivity issues.  The one that is supposed to be released in the next month or two is also expected to address the same issue (again).  Also, both updates I had took less than an hour.  I guess it depends on the computer capability that the dealer has.

Update:

Dealer sent query to BMW. Did not recognize any new available software????????? Waiting for additional response from BMW.

Steffen from "Connected Support" in Germany gave me pretty much same info as George did, as expected. 

Dealer claimed yday that they managed to somehow trick the Fit for All headsets to take a charge, that would be great news so at least one item resolved.

H

Software updates not being available at the dealer doesn’t make sense to me as a consumer. When Steffan Kraft told me that the 012 update was available back in August, I went right in to the dealer to have it installed and he tried but said it wasn’t available. A couple of days later he called me to tell me that it was in the process of downloading to his computer. I went in next day and he installed it.  Maybe the dealers have to actively search for and download the specific updates as opposed to having them automatically appear on their computer? Not sure. 

I have had many email exchanges (20+) with Steffan Kraft over the period May thru August of this year and for the most he has not been very helpful. All of his responses are canned or cookie cutter in nature. I began to see a pattern and after talking with other users who have reached out to him they were getting identical generic responses. Ultimately he was just telling me repeatedly that “software update is coming and it will fix your problems so be patient”.

While the 012 update made some improvements it did not solve all of my connectivity issues. 

Update2

They have received update from BMW but it downloaded with some error so they could not get it installed. waiting for resend from BMW. They have now become more interested in the topic and finding out more than they knew before. A GS was also now brought in for some TFT issues. One of their sales guys seem most knowledgeable and is helping them to understand how it all should work. 

Weather so bad so bike stays at dealer until next week and hopefully we get 12 installed and then we just have to wait for the next update. 

Enjoy the weekend wherever the weather is better than here in South Florida.

H

My brother in Canada has the identical ‘21 Manhattan metallic bike  that I have, except he has a radio and TPM and I do not. He is still using software version 011…….and he has ZERO issues with the TFT/Nav/Media and it works great for him!!!

What phone does he have? 
I do think that one issue is to actually get used to the awkward ie different UI. When mine worked it was ok except for media and phone and dropping connection. 
I believe the fit for all will help with some of it but at the same time it is annoying to experience the interoperability issues between brands and systems, apple car play works so well, why not use that also for bikes??

TPMS I do want but not radio. So I'm waiting to hear from BMW on that issue.

h