IGNORED

2021 RT TFT Connection Problem

CruisinCruzan

CruisinCruzan

Got the bike, paired my iPhone X, the WiFi icon showed up (square with parallel lines) went for a ride and 10 minutes in lost the connection, WiFi icon disappeared and have not been able to reconnect since. I’ve tried deleting the pairing and starting from scratch but cannot get the WiFi icon to show up, so cannot use the maps/nav. The BT pairing works and the bike notes the phone is paired in the Connections section. My phone is set to never auto-lock.

When pairing does the bike generate its own WiFi network? Is there a network labeled BMW or something similar that shows up on the phone’s network list? The only network on my phone, when trying to pair the phone, is my home network. I have read the manual, looked at numerous videos to no avail. I also have a query out to BMW. Anyone have any ideas? TIA

How about telling your phone to forget your home network when trying to pair it with the bike??  Then start the process all over again.    Worth a shot, right?  

For the record, I do not have the TFT and only limited IT knowledge to BS my way through some issues.  Hopefully, Bernie will post his thoughts about your issue.

CruisinCruzan

A few more attempts and now it works. I have no idea why. This seems a great idea that is poorly implemented. Hopefully will work throughout my upcoming trip. Despite some of its clunkiness it just seems so much easier if they would have just put in CarPlay and AA. I assume the route they went was cheaper, and sometimes you get what you pay for. If what they did was not cheaper then the decision was probably made by the same guy who thinks 3 shades of gray constitutes a diverse color pallet.

• Haha 1
CruisinCruzan

Connection lasted 5 minutes, I shall continue the quest. I’m changing the startup sequence from “Life is a Ride” to “Why couldn’t they just use CarPlay”

1 minute ago, CruisinCruzan said:

Connection lasted 5 minutes, I shall continue the quest. I’m changing the startup sequence from “Life is a Ride” to “Why couldn’t they just use CarPlay”

Evening  CruisinCruzan

Any chance that your original connection setup is going through your home wifi that then goes away as soon as you leave your home wifi range?

CruisinCruzan

I never get the WiFi icon when it picks up my home network. I’ve also set it so it dos not connect automatically to my home WiFi.

Hello everyone I will share my experience.
The motorcycle needs more than a minute to fully load the software. I turn on the helmet and the app on my phone beforehand. The phone automatically connects to the DVR's wifi and doesn't want to connect to the bike. In the connected app, double-click on the blue "connection attempt" bar and you will be prompted to connect to the bike. This will always be the case if there is a home wifi or a known network nearby that you connect to automatically.

Is it just me, or does this all this 2021 RT connectivity seem a bit too complicated?

I thought the 2020RTs worked just fine, with an actual radio and GPS. Want a big TFT, fair enough (if you like that sort of thing!) but why take away functionality and make things harder to do?

All we want to do is jump on, start the bike on, tune a radio station, set a GPS destination and ride off into the sunset. What is so hard about that?

Come on BMW, looks like you dropped the ball here. Update the software, issue some simple, step by step instruction (that wok every time for every set up) or whatever it takes to ensure the 2021 RTs  just work.

I have the 2021 F900XR in addition to my ‘17 RT. A world of difference in getting the iPhone/Sena/Garmin/TFT going. I’ve got the RT down pat but the XR is still a struggle. Works and then it doesn’t. WTF?

7 hours ago, TJRL said:

Is it just me, or does this all this 2021 RT connectivity seem a bit too complicated?

Well, depends on who do you compare yourself to. I don't find it that difficult but it is definitely a learning curve and you do need a certain level of technical understanding to get the principals of interconnection. I noticed that most of the moaning about connectivity problems comes from people who lack that kind of understanding.

7 hours ago, TJRL said:

I thought the 2020RTs worked just fine, with an actual radio and GPS. Want a big TFT, fair enough (if you like that sort of thing!) but why take away functionality and make things harder to do?

Functionality really depends on how you use things. For instance I don't listen to music while I ride and I do not understand the need for it. As such the radio is only ballast on my bike (no, you cannot order it in Australia without radio). Those who do use it think differently.

Overall, they reduced complexity on the '21 RT. You already carry a phone so use that to navigate instead of a dedicated GPS. Again, depending on how you use the thing it may be an upgrade or a downgrade. The one thing I miss from the separate GPS times is the lack of track overlay the Zumo range was doing so well. However a lot of people never heard of that feature and have no idea what it does and how it works, so no skin off their nose.

I think the bottom line is that the bike itself is a worthy upgrade to the line of RT motorcycles, so on that alone it was a win. On the other hand you can't please all the people all of the time, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally gotten my Motorrad Connected App to work pretty much as it should in my ‘21 RT and am able to use the Nav, a radio app installed on my iPhone (works like Sirius!), Apple Maps as a backup, and my phone for incoming and outgoing calls. I can easily switch back and forth between the Nav, the radio app to listen to hundreds of stations and podcasts, and my phone for calls using the multi controller. Once you understand the system (BIG learning curve) it finally seems reasonably logical and straightforward. I use an 8 year old BMW Motorrad comm system installed in a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet and it works pretty well (except for vol control via the thumbwheel control for some odd reason - upgrading to a new BMW comm next week that should fix this). The only problem I’m encountering now is that occasionally (twice in the past four multi-hour rides) is that the Nav mysteriously drops out of map mode for no obvious reason. It still gives verbal directions as well as text and arrow directions on the screen, but the color map display disappears. It’s obvious that the WiFi signal is lost. It requires a full restart after exiting the App and restarting the bike to get Wi-Fi reestablishes and get map mode to reappear. Anyone have this issue and if so what has been your diagnosis and solution?  

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

The only problem I’m encountering now is that occasionally (twice in the past four multi-hour rides) is that the Nav mysteriously drops out of map mode for no obvious reason

Likely a notification on your phone caused this.

How exactly are you using Apple Maps? The Connected app uses TomTom maps.

I have seen and heard a number of notifications coming in on my phone while riding and they haven't caused any termination of the wifi signal; but I agree that its possible it could have triggered the issue.  I'll try and pay closer attention to that.  Thanks for the suggestion, its possible.

Regarding Apple Maps, I should have been clearer.  I have only tried using Applemaps in the background, with the intent of testing out the versatility and flexibility of the system.  In doing so, I'm able to switch between the connected app, and Applemaps (with the maps only visible on the phone), and back to the connected app.  When I do that, I can hear the Applemaps voice prompts in my headset and presumably they're coming through via Media, just like they do with a radio app on the phone..  I have not been doing this routinely but wanted to note that it's possible.

Gotcha, that is good to know as an alternative.

To clarify the possible notification issues, the screen casting they use for the navigation display over wifi needs the app to have primary focus on the phone screen. If that focus is taken away, the map display drops out. It did improve for some users with the release of the iOS 14.6 update.

I’ve had good luck letting my iPhone and Sena mesh b4 I start the bike. Once bike starts it syncs up with media and seems to work fine. Most of the time. 

I have finally gotten my Motorrad Connected App to work pretty much as it should in my ‘21 RT and am able to use the Nav, a radio app installed on my iPhone (works like Sirius!), Apple Maps as a backup, and my phone for incoming and outgoing calls. I can easily switch back and forth between the Nav, the radio app to listen to hundreds of stations and podcasts, and my phone for calls using the multi controller. Once you understand the system (BIG learning curve) it finally seems reasonably logical and straightforward. I use an 8 year old BMW Motorrad comm system installed in a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet and it works pretty well (except for vol control via the thumbwheel control for some odd reason - upgrading to a new BMW comm next week that should fix this). The only problem I’m encountering now is that occasionally (twice in the past four multi-hour rides) is that the Nav mysteriously drops out of map mode for no obvious reason. It still gives verbal directions as well as text and arrow directions on the screen, but the color map display disappears. It’s obvious that the WiFi signal is lost. It requires a full restart after exiting the App and restarting the bike to get Wi-Fi reestablishes and get map mode to reappear. Anyone have this issue and if so what has been your diagnosis and solution?  

11 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I’ve had good luck letting my iPhone and Sena mesh b4 I start the bike. Once bike starts it syncs up with media and seems to work fine. Most of the time. 

I initially had mine set up like this (phone paired to helmet communicator if I understand Rinkydink correctly) and had inconsistent/strange results. Guidance specifically says to pair phone to tft, and helmet comm to tft.  Everything should be going through the tft and it controls everything is my understanding. Once I got that straight, things started working correctly. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

I initially had mine set up like this (phone paired to helmet communicator if I understand Rinkydink correctly) and had inconsistent/strange results. Guidance specifically says to pair phone to tft, and helmet comm to tft.  Everything should be going through the tft and it controls everything is my understanding. Once I got that straight, things started working correctly. 

Let me clarify...my phone (andGPS) had already been paired to tft. Also logged on to BMW Connect app on phone. 

CruisinCruzan

Just went on a 300 mile ride. My set-up is an iPhone X that is just for the bike, no sim and I’ve eliminated whatever apps and notifications I could. I just used it for the GPS, no music. During my ride the wi-fi dropped 7 times, the screen turned black with a blinking wi-fi icon (the blinking icon was in the middle of the screen and the WiFi icon on the bottom of the screen was steady which I don’t understand) 3 times and the screen froze 2 times. Fortunately with a little foresight I was able to do the ride without too much inconvenience. Before I left on my moto-vacation I installed a NAV 6 on my daughter’s  bike, I loaded all the same routes that were created in BC to my daughter’s GPS and when the TFT  judged me undeserving of its info I would just communicate with my daughter and she would take the lead.

Mechanically, I thoroughly enjoy the bike but I cannot believe this was the best BMW could do concerning the TFT.

I have sent the BMW TFT support team a request asking why we’re having this problem with the Wi-Fi dropping the map mode signal. No reply yet (3 days) but they warn about delayed responses.

I have been having better luck lately and the Wi-Fi signal drop only happened a couple of times in the past 5 rides of about 100 miles each. On both occasions it restored  almost immediately after stopping….by just clicking on the app icon and it started right up without even asking to connect with Wi-Fi. I don’t understand it but it’s definitely working better than it was. I’m using an iPhone 11Pro with an 8 year old BMW Motorrad Communication system. It will still not control volume via the wonder wheel for some reason (but it will mute) but everything else seems to work very well, including telephone -and media while I’m using the nav system ( which works VERY well once you get accustom to it. Some of my original issues were solved by starting from scratch ( a couple of times) and carefully and methodically pairing things properly. It’s  important to make sure that you’re not getting interference from any and all other Bluetooth devices, including Apple Watch, fitbit, etc. Also, make sure that your helmet is not paired with your phone. Should only have phone paired to TFT, and helmet comm system paired to TFT. Make sure that each time you pair, the other devices are off to avoid interference…..when you pair your phone to tft, turn off the helmet. When you pair your helmet, turn off your phone. During all this, unpair your watch, fitbit, etc and re-pair them after you’re done. Doing all this made many of my issues go away. 

I’m  still waiting for a new updated BMW comm system to come in and will report back when I get it up and running. 

I am using an iPhone 11 on iOS 14.6 and Connected app 3.11 and a Cardo Freecom 4+. Since the update to 14.6 and 3.11 I had excellent functionality. Two days ago did a 370 km trip and today similar length. The first day the app crashed once after lunch break but restarted the app before we got going. Other then that both days were working without any map drop out. About half of the distance was guided, the other half just rolling maps. I don't have voice guidance, I use visual only and I don't listen to music so cannot comment on that side.

Reconnects after turning the bike off were as expected without confirmation but I do have the bike's wifi set as the only auto join network on my phone. SO far so good in my case.

CruisinCruzan

Re-paired everything again for a 250 mile ride today. NO wi-if dropouts or black screens! On the last 30 minutes of the ride multiple screen freezes but the backup daughter/Nav 6 combo worked flawlessly. In anticipation of the fixing of the WiFi drop issue the advanced BMW algorithm celebrated by making sure I did not have any voice directions for the entire trip (had voice directions all of yesterday) and my phone wouldn’t charge until the last hour of the ride (today’s BMW lesson, always carry a cable for charging) despite the light being green. This is so entertaining they should charge double for it!

I occasionally have no voice instruction when I first start up. I fix it by doing one of two things: 1) make call on the phone (any call, even to your own number)....when it answers hang up. Most of the time for some reason voice prompts after that work. If not, then turn off the helmet, go to settings and tell it to search for riders helmet and, while it’s searching, then turn on the helmet and it should recognize it. After that it “usually” works. 

I’m sympathetic to your comment and I understand!  I am very frustrated as well.  However, I’m trying to remain focused on getting it to work as it was advertised and promised. I do feel like I’m almost there but not quite. My original view of this thing was that it would be something like Apple CarPlay. It’s definitely oNOT!!!!  Obviously many have had issues and few have had (complete) success. If we can’t get it to work then BMW needs to step up and either get it to work properly or compensate all owners appropriately. Recall?  Buyback? Cash settlement?

Here's what I received today from the BMW TFT Support tea,m.  Was already aware of most of this, but thought I'd share what I received.....

Dear George,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.

The problems you are facing at the moment are caused by errors in the Bluetooth connection management of iOS. Please be assured that Apple and BMW Motorrad are already working together to find the cause and a remedy. In the meanwhile we're trying to do our best on the side of the app to provide a pleasant user experience somehow.

We would ask you to update your iPhone to the latest iOS-Software (14.6).  Please note that some individual settings of an iPhone will be resetted in case of an update of iOS. Please check

- that no power/battery-saving modes are switched on during the use of the Connected App.
- that the app has permanently access to your location (Settings > Location > Always).

If a change in the settings of your mobile were necessary please start the app again.

Finally we ask you to reset the Connectivity/TFT display. Call up the >Settings< menu. Select >Reset all< and confirm.

The problems can be caused by the position of the Smartphone too. Bad positions would be the trouser pocket, a rucksack, top case or pannier, because here the tank or body shields the connection to the TFT display. So we could only ask you to place your smartphone as close as possible to the TFT (e.g. right storage compartment, tank bag).

Kind Regards, 
Steffen Kraft 
BMW Motorrad Connectivity

D - 80788 München 

Mail: connectedride@bmw.com

Web: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com

CruisinCruzan

Interpretation, this was not ready for prime time but we put it out anyway.

On today’s ride WiFi dropped after 30 minutes and I’ve decided not to let it frustrate me any longer and I reconnect when I stop for gas. Hopefully they will get this working before the season is out.

Something I need to check into more, I use a Pactalk Bold in DMC mode and I think the app thinks I’m always talking and I can’t hear any directions because they are so low (my two choices seem to be directions that are so low I can’t hear them or no directions at all). I’m going to experiment with BT communication and push to talk and see if that works.

At least there is now a written acknowledgement that there is in fact a problem!  I’ve not seen that anywhere to date. Even with that acknowledgement, there was still some finger pointing at Apple’s IOS op system. Does this problem not exist with Android phones?

On 5/23/2021 at 6:49 AM, Hati said:

"Well, depends on who do you compare yourself to." I do not compare myself to anyone!

"I don't find it that difficult but it is definitely a learning curve and you do need a certain level of technical understanding to get the principals of interconnection." - Sounds like it IS too complicated if one has to get up a learning curve to do what we have all being doing for decades.

"... .You already carry a phone" Yes I carry a mobile telephone, but not a smartphone (or pocket computer ;-)

Each to their own, but right now the 2021RT's TFT does not seem to be any sort of improvement, or not until the mothership finish their beta testing.

Thankfully I haven’t had to use a paper map for at least 20 years because of the advances with GPS, smartphones, etc.  The learning curve on the BMW tft display and phone based nav system has been worth the effort for me personally. Frustrating at times?  Yes!!  I recently changed out my 8 year old BMW helmet communication system (which wasn’t fully functional with the BMW tft) for a new BMW “Fit-for-All” comm  system. My comm system now works great and I have full functionality using the BMW handlebar mounted thumbwheel controller. I’m using a radio app on my phone with FAR superior sound quality (and station accessibility) than I EVER had with the onboard radio on my ‘13 RT. 

I’m really liking the system now. In the beginning I was having second thoughts but stuck with it. Glad I did!!
  • Like 2
rounder jim

I have a 2015 rt and my main ride which is a 2018 K-16gt. I was very seriously considering getting rid of the GT to buy the new RT. But after reading about all the problems staying connected to the tft and hearing some tech knowledge is required to pair and operate the system I have decided to wait another year. Hopefully BMW will have all the issues sorted out.   Oh yeah, when I ride the RT I love the bike and can't imagine a better bike. But then i will get on the GT and go down the interstate or some fast country roads and appreciate how nice and powerful the engine is. BUT no matter how much i love the GT's engine a new RT is in my future.

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:15 PM, CruisinCruzan said:

Something I need to check into more, I use a Pactalk Bold in DMC mode and I think the app thinks I’m always talking and I can’t hear any directions because they are so low (my two choices seem to be directions that are so low I can’t hear them or no directions at all). I’m going to experiment with BT communication and push to talk and see if that works.

Did you ever figure out the volume issue?  We're using Pactalk Bold as well with iPhone 12 Max Pro (which I was very happy to find fit in the phone compartment if I took it out of it's case).  Everything is linked to the TFT.   Aside from some connection issues (making the iPhone NOT automatically jump on home networked fixed this), the only other issue is the level of the voice directions.  I can hear there is something spoken but can't make out what.

I'd be quite interested to hear how you made out with this.  It's only our first day with the new RT; amazing change from our '08.

I had the same NAV direction volume issue early on and discovered that it was because I had my phone paired to my helmet. You should only have your phone paired to the tft and the helmet comm system paired independently to the tft. Otherwise there will be a conflict. Also make sure that your phone volume is set to the max. You will not be able to use the multi controller (thumb wheel) to control the volume with the PacTalk. Thumbwheel volume control will ONLY work with the BMW Fit-for-all comm system. 

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

discovered that it was because I had my phone paired to my helmet. You should only have your phone paired to the tft and the helmet comm system paired independently to the tft. Otherwise there will be a conflict. Also make sure that your phone volume is set to the max.

Not entirely correct. The "double" pairing will create conflicts, you are right about that, but that is not why the volume is low. Even when your phone's main volume is set to max.

It is because there are individual volumes that cannot be accessed on an iPhone., unless it is active.

What you need to do is set a route on the Connected app, connect to the bike and wait for the routing to begin. Then find the navigation menu and select the "repeat instruction" function. WHILE the instruction is repeated, you bump up the volume on the phone. Obviously phone not in the cubby. This is how I got my navigation volume to humanly hearable range.

Interesting and thanks for the info on the volume. I’ll check that out. My experience has been a bit different. I do not always set my route before connecting and I have not had any volume issues in the last 2500 miles of driving. I have had some dropped connection issues between the phone and the tft but BMW support in Germany has advised me (last week) that they would be issuing a software upgrade/update for the bike “end of Aug or first of Sept” that should take care of those connection issues as well as some other things. We’ll see how that goes. 

No problem, I had issues with BT headset (not motorcycle) volume where it took some time to work out that active sound transmission will allow the particular volume to be adjusted on its own. Easier on Android where all of the available volume controls can easily be accessed and adjusted independently.

While waiting for the update of the TFT software, keep the Connected app updated too. It helped reduce disconnections (the wifi kind for screen casting the map) greatly. Just on Sunday did a 420 km ride with the better half and had zero issues with the TFT. I do not use voice guidance so I cannot comment on that. Also, the map now (app version 3.2) reconnects after a phone conversation. 

There is also a rumour circulating that the factory TFT software update will allow updates to be done via the phone in the future. I hope it's true. Right now my dealer tells me it's a "leave your bike here for the day" affair because it takes hours to get it updated.

fourteenfour
4 hours ago, Hati said:

There is also a rumour circulating that the factory TFT software update will allow updates to be done via the phone in the future. I hope it's true. Right now my dealer tells me it's a "leave your bike here for the day" affair because it takes hours to get it updated.

Some manufacturers are slow to understand how much people come to expect their devices to over the air update and see those that don't as obsolete.

Good suggestion Hati to update the Connected App!  I have routinely been updating my iPhone but have not updated the app recently. The performance of the system has dramatically improved over the past several months and this is probably why.  

40 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

The performance of the system has dramatically improved over the past several months and this is probably why. 

Yeah, I noticed that too, starting with the BT connection. Personally I think I noticed a little faster wifi connection too, but I may just be practising wishful thinking there :D

We are actually experiencing less dropouts; last two rides the connection stayed on the whole time.  OTOH I think I should've used waypoints+track, not just waypoints for the imported route as it did some strange routing at certain points.

What is NOT working is the audio; we have the PackTalk Bold communicators paired with the RT and not with the phone, but now I hear no instructions and no spotify (although the TFT media interface looks very pretty).  I tried to get instructions played while changing the volume on my iphone 12 pro max, but this didn't work.

I sent some customer feedback re:connection issues and received this:

Dear Sir or Madame,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.

The connection problems you are facing at the moment are caused by errors in the Bluetooth management of iOS. For the end of August/beginning of September 2021, we expect an update for the Connectivity/TFT display (vehicle software) which will improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections and remedy some other bugs. Please be patient until then.

Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

I think I'll wait until this next version shows up and then wade back into the deep waters of TFT-iphone-PackTalk connectivity.

In other news: really fantastic bike. Another few rides and the break-in will be done; looking forward to exploring the top end of the TFT rev indicator.

I have had similar experiences. The software update is now available according to an email I received from BMW Support in Germany and I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow am to get the update downloaded to the bike. I’m optimistic. 

Here’s what I received from BMW earlier today: i

The mentioned update is already available. It has been released a few days ago at ISTA version 4.31.16. The I-Level for BMW R 1250 RT is 21.07.520.

Kind Regards,
Steffen Kraft

Cool. I'll finish off our break-in and get the update while the dealer does the 1000km check.

For those who get the update please let us know what changes you see.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, RussInParis said:

I tried to get instructions played while changing the volume on my iphone 12 pro max, but this didn't work.

Something that (especially Android users) find helpful is to turn BT on and off on the phone. From what I read, it works most of the time for those people. Another thing worth trying is changing volume and/or make a phone call. Cannot remember exactly which of these were confirmed by iPhone users though.

I don't use voice guidance or music, so I don't really get effected by this problem. Found that phone calls are still coming through, so that part of the BT connection seems to work.

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

The software update is now available according to an email I received from BMW Support in Germany

I have seen a rider on the Facebook group for the 2021 RT owners who had some kind of update done to his bike two or three days ago in the US I believe. He said that the TFT version number did not change from 011_007_035 and that update, whatever it was, made his connection worse and the dropouts more frequent. He never mentioned any emails from the mothership and his dealer was unable to confirm what exactly was updated, only that an update has taken place.

I will just wait to see what everyone else says about this new update before I get my bike plugged in at the dealer. With the last app update the stability and return of the map after a phone call is 100% over a 1000 km of riding, so not in a hurry.

On my iPhone I sometimes have to make a dummy phone call to wake up and make the voice prompts work. Not always, but frequently. Make no sense. I’m really hoping that this software update works. If it doesn’t I’m not sure what I’ll do but I’ll be beyond unhappy. BMW needs to make this right. Quick. Enough is enough and this should have never happened and it should NOT be this difficult to operate. We should be able to get on and ride with a working NAV. You know, like Apple CarPlay or the Android equivalent.

I agree. I’m a loyal BMW fan, with 14 BMW bikes since 1974. Just disappointed in the premature rollout. I’m actually at the dealer waiting for the software upgrade download to finish. Cautiously optimistic!

Well,  as it turns out the dealer says that the software version that Steffan Kraft at BMW Germany told me was now available (he even gave me version numbers in an email) is NOT available yet. He could not see that version in the computer system  and therefore could not install it. He did however update my software to a version that was available a few weeks ago but it did not help. In fact it made it worse since I now have no voice directions or media sound. I’ve tried all the tricks I know of and can’t get the voice direction or media sound. Not happy!