IGNORED

Announcing The BackRoad Bumbler Award Contest

Indy Dave

• Indy Dave featured this topic

Awesome!   I hope I can contribute somehow, maybe.   Hopefully, not too bad.  :yes:

Reminds me of the saying that adventures suck when you are having them (paraphrasing)  :whistle:

• Like 1

A (very, very :shake:) few have already taken it upon themselves to contact me and point out (with more examples then I care to admit) that I am very proficient at Bumbling.  . . .:ohboy:  :old:

So I think it's only fair to recuse myself in order to give others a chance to win the esteemed honor of BackRoad Bumbler!

William, good luck beating Terry, no doubt Tim has already started a list . . . .:stir:

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
RandyShields

Backroad Bumbler Award

Great idea and wonderful video!  Can't wait to hear all the stories. . . .  Hope I won't have any to contribute, but who knows. . . . 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Reminds me of the saying that adventures suck when you are having them (paraphrasing)  :whistle:

Goose Bay Labrador. I think this may be an original. I said to my buddy Mitch when we were about halfway up there...  “we should of left this one in our minds” :classic_biggrin: Great memories now but the old road we took is now gone. Still a lot of gravel but straight super highway kind of gravel.

• Like 2
RandyShields

I'm thinking that if there was a retroactive award, KDeline would qualify.  We went out on the afternoon ride and he said he was going to stop for photos and take it easy, so if he fell behind or disappeared, just keep going and he would see us at the hotel.  Well, wouldn't you know it, but he did disappear -- not for a photo op -- but because his bike broke down.  D'ohhh!  Help right there that was riding off into the sunset!

I think that would definitely have won the award that year.

• Like 2
terryofperry
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

A (very, very :shake:) few have already taken it upon themselves to contact me and point out (with more examples then I care to admit) that I am very proficient at Bumbling.  . . .:ohboy:  :old:

So I think it's only fair to recuse myself in order to give others a chance to win the esteemed honor of BackRoad Bumbler!

William, good luck beating Terry, no doubt Tim has already started a list . . . .:stir:

:5146: In that case, you are hereby bestowed BackRoad Bumbler Emeritus. 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
RandyShields

Continuing with my theme of potential prior award nominees, I offer our own Lowndes Whatley from the most recent START.  After lunch at Bob’s Dairyland in Roan Mountain on Friday, Lowndes began to frantically search for his inflatable riding vest.  Chairs, booths and the restroom were all checked.  His saddle bags and bike got several goings over.  He even enlisted the wait staff to help him back inside.  Well, after about 15 minutes and no success, he concluded that it must have been inadvertently (or more dastardly, intentionally) taken by Bama John and RockoSmith who had joined us for lunch and departed just before we were ready to leave.  On the ride back to Maggie Valley, Keith K, who had been riding behind Lowndes that morning, commented that he thought Lowndes’ jacket looked the same as what he was wearing all morning.  Yep, sure enough, when we got back to the motel, photo evidence below of what Lowndes found hanging in his room.  And to top it off, at breakfast the next morning, after someone had whispered the story to the accused, Bama John came over to Lowndes’ table and, in a very serious tone, apologized for running off with Lowndes vest the previous day but now couldn’t find it.  The roar of laughter filled the entire diner as every table in the place looked over to see what was going on.

Lowndes vest.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
16 hours ago, 60Aviator said:

Talk about a target rich environment! :3:

Tim, Thanks so much for the idea for this! :5185:  Can't you please tease us with a story from your extensive catalog of stories from your rides with others or your solo rides? It seems like every time you come in from a ride, you have a dandy story to share.

7 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Continuing with my theme of potential prior award nominees, I offer ......

Lowndes vest.jpg

Great story, thanks for sharing! That sounds like something someone I know very well (and ride with on every ride) might do. :4317:@BamaJohn sure gets around and he's as good natured  as they come [which is the best cover for shenanigans :90:] - but John wears a cooling vest and I don't think John could confuse the two. At least for long. :read:

Keep those stories coming . . . I'm feeling better already!

• Like 1

Not to pile on a fellow board member, but I seem to recall someone looking for his GPS.   After we finished up with lunch, this particular rider was looking all around - outside on a table, in pockets, and even went back in to see if any body turned one in (seriously.)  No luck with the search.   He did eventually find it, but for the life of me I cannot recall where.  I think it was hidden under air bag vest.   Perhaps he will post the resssssst..........of........the........story. 

Y'all stay tuned now, ya hear?

• Like 1

From 2017

Some would think it foolish for a bunch (around 700) motorcyclists from all over the country to converge on the small town of Stockton AL on/or around Dec 30 each year for “The last ride of the year", and they have a point.

Friday’s ride began with a wakeup alarm at 0400, and departure at 0500 in the dark and 28 degrees!  That should be enough said about that subject, proving that we’re crazy, but there’s more to come!….
We 3 were to meet our Bham group at Jack’s in Alabaster for a 0630 departure from there, taking secondary roads south to rendezvous with 2 more at Selma, then 2 more at Monroeville, making a total in our group of 11 bikes.  The ride down was cold but without drama, and we arrived in Stockton to see about 700 bikes already there…and that doesn’t include the breakfast crowd who’d already come and gone!  Now, the Stagecoach Cafe in Stockton AL isn’t exactly set up for this kind of crowd on one day, but they have done this for nearly 25 years now, and hired a lot of staff and started their day in the wee hours of the morning.
After lunch and hanging around for a little bit, we saddled up and headed north.  About 40 miles north we stopped for gas, and that’s where my drama hit…I had lost my driver’s license and credit card and hadn’t used it since the last gas stop at Alabaster!  After getting control of the panic that set in, I called the Stagecoach Cafe and someone had turned the cards in at the cashier…GREAT NEWS!  So I rode back the 40 miles, retrieved my cards, thanked the Big Man and my Good Samaritan (still unknown), and vowed to play his/her deed forward if given the chance.
Hitting I-65 and riding at secret speeds, I got home at 1900 frozen because my heated jacket liner and gloves quit on the way home….
Am I deterred?  NO
Will I get another heated jacket liner?  YES
Will I do it again?  HOPE SO
Am I crazy?  THAT WAS PROVEN YEARS AGO

Happy New Year!
jb

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

What if that other car hadn't blocker her way?

The definition of insanity comes to mind.  

• Like 1
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic