IGNORED

Battery Symbol on Display Question

New1200RTRider

New1200RTRider

Has anyone had this happen on their 1200 RT when first starting the bike, the battery Symbol stays on the display for maybe 2 or 3 seconds after the engine is allready running then goes away?

Yeah, mine does that. Mine has just clocked 5,000 miles and even through some very cold winter tours, the bike has never even hinted at a problem with the battery. This is probably just BMW's unique and "helpful" approach, a little like the "ABS Brake Fail" message until you ride off.

Bill Murray

I have had this occur when staring my R1200ST. As soon as I apply a little throttle to pick up the engine idle, the symbol clears. The symbol seems to appear when I first start the bike if the engine idle settles at about 1,000 rpm. It clears once the engine idle reaches or slightly exceeds 1,100 rpm. So far, this has not concerned me very much.

Yes. Until the alternator breaks a certain threshold of output (with RPM increase) the light stays on. No issue.

New1200RTRider

I noticed also when applying a little throttle the symbol went away. I thought there might be a problem with the voltage regulator or alternator.

Glad to here it isn't anything worth worrying about.

Archived