IGNORED

Lock for BMW Tank Bag

Ponch

I seem to recall that at one time there was a lock for the BMW tank bag for the 2005-13 RT. It's a nice bag, but I don't think I'll have it long unattended. 

10 hours ago, Ponch said:

I seem to recall that at one time there was a lock for the BMW tank bag for the 2005-13 RT. It's a nice bag, but I don't think I'll have it long unattended. 

Morning   Ponch

Back when that easily removable tank bag came out some of use talked about a lock, some just used a cable with a loop on each end & a small lock through the loops. 

I even designed a way to lock the release (might be posted here way back somewhere). It was just a way to prevent the witness tab from lifting through the slot.

In any case (personally) I quickly gave up on the idea of trying to lock the tank bag on as my thought was that if someone wanted it bad enough they would just grab it & yank at it as hard as they could probably destroying the upper tank covering trim or whatever the cable was looped through or around. 

Taking the bag would be bad enough but destroying motorcycle trim plus taking the bag would be worse so my option was to not lock it.  

Never lost one & I have parked in some bad areas. 

I don't lock my GPS onto the motorcycle for the same reason as I can easily replace a GPS but the motorcycle damage is more difficult to repair. 

• Like 2
On 5/17/2021 at 3:34 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning   Ponch

Back when that easily removable tank bag came out some of use talked about a lock, some just used a cable with a loop on each end & a small lock through the loops. 

I even designed a way to lock the release (might be posted here way back somewhere). It was just a way to prevent the witness tab from lifting through the slot.

In any case (personally) I quickly gave up on the idea of trying to lock the tank bag on as my thought was that if someone wanted it bad enough they would just grab it & yank at it as hard as they could probably destroying the upper tank covering trim or whatever the cable was looped through or around. 

Taking the bag would be bad enough but destroying motorcycle trim plus taking the bag would be worse so my option was to not lock it.  

Never lost one & I have parked in some bad areas. 

I don't lock my GPS onto the motorcycle for the same reason as I can easily replace a GPS but the motorcycle damage is more difficult to repair. 

Yeah, I kind of thought some of that. I could just take it with me or put it in the topcase too I suppose, if I have it on there. Thanks!