IGNORED

Bird population in Tennessee Dwindles....

BamaJohn

It's not often that 3 birds kill themselves in 2 days by impaling themselves on motorcycles...but that happened to us.

Earlier this week, 4 of us rode to North-Central TN.  On the way up, I was riding 3rd and a large Rhode Island Red rooster ran out and into the front of my RT"s engine.  We suggested stopping to gather up dinner, but decided that a rooster that dumb would be rotten too.  Wonder if the owner overslept the next morning....

About 15 minutes later, the lead rider had a small bird hit his windshield and go cart-wheeling over our heads...#2.

The next day the same lead rider had another small bird hit his clutch hand while we were running around 60mph...#3.

The squirrels and chipmunks were a little quicker.

It took some effort to clean off the front of my engine yesterday....some kind of white goo all over it!

• Sad 1

Nice trifecta.  Glad it turned out well.   Sorry for birdie juice on your RT.   Ride safe?   How bout dem birds try flying safe?   :dontknow:

roadscholar

Think I've told this one before, I was leading a small group near Tomoka SP when a hawk jumped out of the tall grass on the side of the road with a squirrel in it's claws, he flew across the road then looped back around hitting the top of my helmet and glancing off my GF's leaving a couple feathers stuck in her faceshield. When we stopped at an intersection I said, did you guys see that? They said yeah, he kept flying and held onto the squirrel : )

• Smile 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Nice trifecta.  Glad it turned out well.   Sorry for birdie juice on your RT.   Ride safe?   How bout dem birds try flying safe?   :dontknow:

All rode safe...no human casualties..thanks

• Like 1
RandyShields
11 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

It's not often that 3 birds kill themselves in 2 days by impaling themselves on motorcycles...but that happened to us.

I've only hit one bird in the 30+ years of riding, and only discovered it when cleaning the bike after a ride.  Many close calls over the years, but 3 in one ride is crazy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I am at it, I might as well tell about the birdie that I made.   Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel, southbound for Norfolk, I was on one of the bridges.   The seagulls around there tend to hover at the rail, just over the water, due to the cross winds sometimes.   As I was making by way toward one of the tunnels, a gull ended up hitting a cross wind that brought him up and over the railing, from right to left, directly in my path.  He ended up hitting my left mirror and started the cart-wheeling in for a landing (slide.)  I was expecting it to hit me, as I ducked when I saw the wind lift and push it into my direct path.   I re-adjusted the mirror to see that it flew away.  Tough birds, if that is what you can call them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
roadscholar

Spotted in the hood this afternoon. It seems like more and more Canadian geese are deciding they like it down here and are staying full time, no more commuting back and forth.

0FED9D4F-00C0-4B08-AF70-3776B9F2C9C5.thumb.jpeg.8fa8e15b34da8a069aec0bafe6765a74.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Spotted in the hood this afternoon. It seems like more and more Canadian geese are deciding they like it down here and are staying full time, no more commuting back and forth.

0FED9D4F-00C0-4B08-AF70-3776B9F2C9C5.thumb.jpeg.8fa8e15b34da8a069aec0bafe6765a74.jpeg

They start out cute and seem ok, but soon they multiply too much, poop way too much, and generally become a giant pain in the ass. If that is your property, do everything you can to discourage them from staying.

And technically, they are not Canadian geese, but rather Canada geese, named after John Canada.

My brain keeps stupid info and must be purged occasionally...

• Like 1
roadscholar

Not my property, have too many trees and no retention ponds nearby. Regardless, the ones around here don't seem to be migrating from anywhere because they're here all Summer and there's a bunch of em. 

0E5634BC-C5A5-4722-AB66-4A88F4753F66.thumb.jpeg.88a42e712bb9d6442d76094e6257c8cb.jpeg

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Not my property, have too many trees and no retention ponds nearby. Regardless, the ones around here don't seem to be migrating from anywhere because they're here all Summer and there's a bunch of em. 

0E5634BC-C5A5-4722-AB66-4A88F4753F66.thumb.jpeg.88a42e712bb9d6442d76094e6257c8cb.jpeg

Do yourself a favor and work with the local wildlife authorities and city council to put together a program to trap and relocate them. You will thank me for this advice.

(Sometimes a relocate means to a homeless shelter dinner table...)

roadscholar

Just reporting the facts, those aren’t my neighborhoods.

In other news, wild turkeys spotted casing Mt. Royal air park south of Welaka.

8D169EE7-8076-4058-8109-6B49AAE29CBF.thumb.jpeg.c303d4a5526f585a76402dc71793c128.jpeg

and Peacocks roam unsupervised the mean streets of Crescent City's eastside. 

AACA5336-0851-490E-A96C-B24088A65A76.thumb.jpeg.70213fa9f5903a223422cdc1c7a48d64.jpeg

E6DFA160-09B9-409E-8019-52830E1F57BC.thumb.jpeg.27662b9de2d144c5912fe610519c193d.jpeg

fourteenfour

and here I was worried I was going to need to take down my bird feeders so they would continue migrating out of my state.