Top Case R1250RS

Paddler

Paddler

On my recent trip to California I used a dry bag in addition to the side cases for extra storage.  I carry a DSLR with an extra lens in a Lowepro 170 case, a travel tripod and a Microsoft Surface Pro in a case, in addition to all the usual stuff.  The dry bag made it difficult to access the camera gear, so I'm looking for other options.  I called BMW to see what a top case would cost and choked when they told me it was over $700!  Looking for other options, maybe a soft bag to strap on over the rear bracket, etc.  Anybody have ideas for other solutions?  

Lol. You should try the RT factory top case for something like $1500 in your money. There are aftermarket options, Givi and Shad are the two most common top box brands used on bikes. eBay is an option for second hand boxes too. You ride an expensive bike man, don;t be surprised about accessories being expensive...

lkraus

I'm very happy with my older Shad 50. It has been water and dust proof, latches tight without needing to lock with the key. Plenty of room to secure our XXL and M helmets.

29121880775_1b276eafec_w.jpg

Shad has since come out with the expanding 58X and 59X , which might be a bit more visually appealing when you don't really need a lot of space. They also have several smaller options. You will need to order the correct mount to go with the top box.

Paddler

Thanks.  I was looking at the Givi options yesterday.  Don't need a lot of room, just a bit more.  On our trip I'd have to loosen the straps for the dry bag so I could move it to access the locks on the side cases.  I want to be able to get the camera gear out without having to do that.  Or maybe get a smaller camera, like a MILC.  I was shocked at the price of the BMW top case, $550 for each side case is plenty.  I wondered about the Pelican cases, seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt one.

I sprang for the BMW top case on my R1250RS. I moved to the RS from an RT and the RS definitely suffers in the storage department. I wish I had RT side cases and a top case midway between the large and small RT top case options.

That said, I've managed to downsize for multi-day tours and still manage to carry my Canon 5D, a couple lenses, and a Peak Design tripod. The tripod goes on the bottom of the top case between a pair of walking shoes. The camera gear fits in a 13" Tenba bag along with my laptop, cables, and other odds and ends. I lay the Tenba bag flat on top of the tripod and shoes. I have to be careful and not overfill the Tenba bag or it goes under pressure when closing the top case lid. So I have to chose my lenses carefully. Yes, 23-70mm and wide angle lens. No to the macro and 100-400mm telephoto, 

My 6,000 mile round trip the MOA rally in Great Falls from central North Carolina next month will be the ultimate test. For that trip I'll have my camping gear in a dry bag rock-strapped to the pillon. There's even room for my espresso maker.

Mike

Paddler

I solved my problem.  I realized that for my trip to California I way over packed, so that was one thing.  Too many clothes.  Plus I packed my D850, a 50/1.8G, my Zeiss Milvus 25/1.4, which is an awesome lens but weighs 2# 10oz, , plus my 70-200FL, which weighs 4#!  Not too bright.  I can fit the D850 in a Lowepro 170AW camera bag, with three 1.8G primes, the 24mm, 50 mm and the 85mm, along with a Vanguard tripod and Microsoft Surface Pro 7 laptop in the side cases with a fair amount of room to spare.  I'll strap a soft case on the back with clothes on the luggage base and be good to go.  I'll be able to easily access the camera bag and tripod, which I couldn't do before.  Just saved $700.