IGNORED

This is Happening (New GSA)

Mike

I came about *that* close to a couple of used ones, but just missed the boat (or encountered unanswered questions). I pulled the trigger on this one. If my schedule works out, I’ll pick it up next week. Keeping the RT for now.  

B35CD678-A269-40F8-A3CF-30603BF82625.jpeg

• Like 11
49 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Nice. Let the farkling begin. Congrats 

Thanks. Already burning up the internet with add-on orders. I’ve got a PDM60 waiting to be installed, and then will start working on the setup for my iphone, Valentine One, and a couple of auxiliary power points.  

You know the road out front is now going to be paved next week, right...:spittake: After you wear out the stock tires I suggest these. They’ve been really good so far. Decent gravel grip and very good road manners.

Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires

5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

You know the road out front is now going to be paved next week, right...:spittake: After you wear out the stock tires I suggest these. They’ve been really good so far. Decent gravel grip and very good road manners.

Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires

Thanks for the recommendation. That’s going to be something I’ll look at fairly early on...I don’t envision myself as an off-road warrior, but I’ll be looking for options that have decent all-around capabilities, including looking good in coffee shop parking lots.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A few additions so far—Bumot panniers, some mounts for the V1 and my iphone, grip puppies,etc. I’ve got a set of Clearwater Ericas that’ll go on, but I’m waiting for some other items so I don’t end up going through the fairing removal drill too many times.

I’ve only ridden the GSA a couple hundred miles, but the thing that surprised me was that everything mechanical…clutch, transmission, engine…is noticeably more refined than my seven year old RT. The seat is a killer, so I had a conversation with Rocky Mayer, sent him some info, and should have a new pilot’s seat by next week. 

Overall, and with the caveat that this is based on very few miles, it’s a very nice moto.

• Like 1

I know we’ve all seen plenty of GS and GSA pictures on the road / trail before, but don’t let that stop you from posting a few more when she’s all accessorized! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My RT has moved on to a new owner and a few days ago I placed a deposit on a future '22 GSA. Thanks, Mike, for starting this thread so I can learn from you and your adventures (pardon the pun). Be advised that you'll be seeing some PM's from me regarding farkles, etc.. My test ride of a '21 at the local dealer confirmed that my arse agrees with your arse about the seat. I'd gone only tens miles and me arse was saying NO! How is it that BMW can make such a wonderful motorcycle that sucks in the seat department? Don't bother answering, it's a rhetorical question. My Ducati ST3's seat is a dream compared to the test ride version. That said, I had no issues with the stock seat on my '02 RT.

Anyway, please post pics and comments about your farkalization, mkay?

On 5/21/2021 at 6:03 AM, Mike said:

A few additions so far—Bumot panniers, some mounts for the V1 and my iphone, grip puppies,etc. I’ve got a set of Clearwater Ericas that’ll go on, but I’m waiting for some other items so I don’t end up going through the fairing removal drill too many times.

I’ve only ridden the GSA a couple hundred miles, but the thing that surprised me was that everything mechanical…clutch, transmission, engine…is noticeably more refined than my seven year old RT. The seat is a killer, so I had a conversation with Rocky Mayer, sent him some info, and should have a new pilot’s seat by next week. 

Overall, and with the caveat that this is based on very few miles, it’s a very nice moto.

Mike, 

I'm very interested in the farkles mentioned above especially the Bumot panniers. I visited their web site and read that they attach to the factory mounts, was that your experience? Do you like the quality? Have any photos to post?? Asking for a friend... :D

5 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Mike, 

I'm very interested in the farkles mentioned above especially the Bumot panniers. I visited their web site and read that they attach to the factory mounts, was that your experience? Do you like the quality? Have any photos to post?? Asking for a friend... :D

My impression is that the Bumot panniers are of very high quality, and the attachment is very secure. The one caveat is that I’d definitely always make sure that the mounting/latch mechanism is locked before riding. It would take some serious bumps to get it to unlatch, but locking it should completely eliminate the possibility. The panniers mount directly to the BMW rack without any difficult, but the topboxes (I got the smaller of the two available) require a mounting plate that affixes to the factory rack. 

Everything is of high quality and fits perfectly. I think they’re at least equal in quality to the BMW cases, and they’re somewhat less expensive. The only niggle would be that you’ll be carrying an extra key, but I think they’re terrific products.

9FE4BC3E-2DAE-4827-A237-B48D28F9F469.jpeg

69D400D6-DD85-4C3F-96C6-C737D7D4D6F3.jpeg

13E0F72C-74E6-4BB0-A136-CD8CFBA51659.jpeg

6542A64C-5193-48D5-A070-9B62853A82C7.jpeg

492C7EEE-893D-4001-B94B-E766EA0E7BF0.jpeg

• Like 1

Many thanks, Mike. I have no problem with another key to deal with if it saves me some dinero to spend on other goodies. Regarding the cases, I can't help but notice the top of each lid is covered with what appears to be a protective "film" of sorts. Is that a Bumot option or something you came up with?

Side note, during my test ride a few weeks back I found the stock seat to be another form of torture. Mind you, this is coming from an '02 RT rider who found its stock seat to be fine for my comfort needs. What seat upgrade did you go with and is it heated? 

1 hour ago, beemerboy said:

Many thanks, Mike. I have no problem with another key to deal with if it saves me some dinero to spend on other goodies. Regarding the cases, I can't help but notice the top of each lid is covered with what appears to be a protective "film" of sorts. Is that a Bumot option or something you came up with?

Side note, during my test ride a few weeks back I found the stock seat to be another form of torture. Mind you, this is coming from an '02 RT rider who found its stock seat to be fine for my comfort needs. What seat upgrade did you go with and is it heated? 

The protective mats are from https://pannierprotectors.com. One of my first official acts with any new bike is scraping up the panniers with my boots. They are shipped from England, and it took about a week and a half for mine to arrive. This is a really nice solution that also adds a textured surface that should keep stuff from sliding around.

I went with a saddle from Bill Mayer Saddles and it’s very good so far. It was built on a stock seat pan, so it’s heated. Unfortunately the company’s owner, Rocky Mayer, passed away about two weeks ago. They’re currently building my pillion seat, but Rocky’s death has had a significant personal impact on all there. I hope his employees/partners are able to carry on the tradition.

• Sad 1

Yes, I heard about Rocky's passing and I'll leave it at that. Again, thanks Mike for your prompt and informative reply. I'll do more due diligence and post accordingly.