IGNORED

Aftermarket exhaust options for RT?

Shapecharge

Shapecharge

Greetings all. Longtime lurker, first time poster. Just picked up a brand spanking new '06 RT yesterday. Sold an '02 RS. I looked but didn't see any posts on this. Are there any aftermarket exhaust options for the RT yet that might free up a bit more horsepower? I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

If the hexheads are anything like the oilheads in this respect (and they probably are) there is very little to be gained in terms of power with an aftermarket exhaust system.

Not trying to be a smart _ss here, but if you're looking for sheer horsepower, you bought the wrong bike. The RT's shine is in it's handling, smoothness, comfort, versatility, and adequate horsepower. Ripping of the factory exhaust and throwing 100s and 100s of dollars will do almost nothing to improve any of these virtues, and will detract from the bike's compliance with noise and emission specifications.

Ride the bike for a few 1000 miles/km. Learn to ride it well. Then see if your hard earned money isn't better spent elsewhere.

Not trying to be a smart _ss here, but if you're looking for sheer horsepower, you bought the wrong bike. The RT's shine is in it's handling, smoothness, comfort, versatility, and adequate horsepower. Ripping of the factory exhaust and throwing 100s and 100s of dollars will do almost nothing to improve any of these virtues, and will detract from the bike's compliance with noise and emission specifications.

Ride the bike for a few 1000 miles/km. Learn to ride it well. Then see if your hard earned money isn't better spent elsewhere.

What he said thumbsup.gif

Shapecharge

I realize this but, and there's always a big but...I come from a sportbike background and changing out a pipe has as much to do with personalizing and setting your bike apart from others as much as gaining a few hp's. For example, I couldn't care less about a gps and setting it up so I can see it while riding. I fold up a map and put it in a plastic bag then slide it down the small of my back when riding but hey that's me. Gaining 6-10 horsepower without have to spend bagloads of $$$ is worth in my humble opinion...that just how I roll.

I went with the Remus Revolution. You have the option of leaving on the catalytic converter (which I did) or taking it off and saving quite a few pounds. You can also take out the removable silencer pipe (which I to'd and fro'd with, and finally left it in).

The Remus gives it a nicer burble, you hear a few pops on the overrun, and I found it gave it a crisper throttle response in the lower rev range. The top end is not hugely different, but it does sound more willing to rev when it's on song. Was it worth the 500-some-odd bucks. Yeah! thumbsup.gif

I realize this but, and there's always a big but...I come from a sportbike background and changing out a pipe has as much to do with personalizing and setting your bike apart from others as much as gaining a few hp's.

I do understand this. It's part of the sport bike culture, and it makes more sense on higher powered engines that have been constrained to pass emissions. BTW, it's more about noise emissions than anything, which is why you often have to regear a sport bike, too. They come with gearing that's too tall.

For example, I couldn't care less about a gps and setting it up so I can see it while riding. I fold up a map and put it in a plastic bag then slide it down the small of my back when riding but hey that's me.

Every bike culture has "acceptable" and "unacceptable" changes. It's a no-no for a BMW rider to change an exhaust, but it's perfectly acceptable to blind other drivers with damn annoying lights. Just get used to it. tongue.gif

Gaining 6-10 horsepower without have to spend bagloads of $$$ is worth in my humble opinion...that just how I roll.

That's the thing. As Ken points out, you won't gain 6-10 HP without spending boatloads of money. Might as well adapt the culture and become a BMW geek unless you want to swim upstream your entire time. grin.gif

R4ND0M_AX3
...Might as well adapt the culture and become a BMW geek unless you want to swim upstream your entire time. grin.gif

Join the dark side. Do what you want.

I've got the full remus (cat-delete) and like it. tongue.gif

-Fellow upstream swimmer

Gaining 6-10 horsepower without have to spend bagloads of $$$ is worth in my humble opinion...that just how I roll.
Well I'll give you this much... You offer up a perfect opportunity: You have a brand new R1200RT. Break it in for a couple of 1000 miles then BEFORE you do any mods to it head for the dyno shop. Then make your exhaust change and put 'er back on the dyno. Post the results showing 6-10 horsepower gain here. We'd all love to see it.

I pick up the first 05 1200 RT here in the Pacific Northwest, and was aching to change the pipes as well. Comming off a Harley with 2 sets of pipes still hanning in my garage, I was just looking for the right set. Well just had my 12 k service done and thought about changing the pipes then too. for me the bottom line has been ... gee, I kind of like not hearing the sounds, and riding with out ear plugs under the helmet (C-2) has been nice. I do still like the sound of the aftermarket set ups, but after spending $15,000 ++ in extras for the Harley (never did see again) I am just enjoying the riding... thumbsup.gif

Christine1200ST

Did A and S in Roseville install your Remus Exhaust? How much was the full system? thanks! Been looking at Staintune, get 5 hp with it for $1300, parts.

Paul Mihalka

It's a no-no for a BMW rider to change an exhaust, but it's perfectly acceptable to blind other drivers with damn annoying lights. Seems to be I'm a maverick. I have a Harley tail pipe on my R1150R and only a pair of Motolights aimed low. Apparently I have not adapted yet to the BMW lifestyle grin.gif Yes, once in a while I like to swim upstream. It's good exercise smirk.gif

Interesting thread........Reminds me of "Fiddler On The Roof" (or was it Zorba?)..."TRA-DI-SHUN".......

I don't have a mind set either way except the sound is nice (on an 1100 with a Statune at least)and it's a lot of "wampum" (as in "Bring More Wampum", the "W" in BMW)....Will look forward to dyno tests before and after...........Do we have a volunteer?

Phil..........Redbrick

What's all this talk about BMW tradition / lifestyle.

We are all individuals and we all have our own opinions and thank goodness they vary.

My opinion? I love the R1200RT but found the exhaust system too quiet. I fitted the Remus full system and like the sound with AND without the removable silencer tube.

I feel that I am more "in sync" with the bike now.

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to talk to the North American Distributor for Remus Exhaust about the R1200RT US system. He made a couple of things very clear. I tried to get him to inflate what the system did and he would not do it. He said that when designing this they looked at a couple of things. First BMW owners keep there bikes for a lot of miles and the ride there bikes. Because of this they did not make the pipe as light as possible because they wanted it make sure that it lasted. Next he said that the RT was not a HP maching but a torque maching. Because of this they tuned the Full system looking at getting the most that they could for torque not HP. Here he was very postive that the pipe gained 8 Foot pounds of torque. I have talked to several mechanics and they all said that Remus is one of the best about delivering what there Dyno charts say that they will. For years I have heard the saying that torque rules the street. For me I like this approach. I am looking forward to the day that I can get the RT and this will be the first change that I make on it. And yes I have ridden it and with others on it.

Denis

dbduchene, just wondering, did the fellow from Remus mention if those numbers were for the full system or just the muffler portion. I have a full system but have only installed the muffler portion because I want to send the header off to be ceramic coated prior to installation. I like the sound thumbsup.gif and even uncorked it does not seem loud to me. Maybe it is catalytic convertor making it quieter than others have mentioned. Buck

Archived