IGNORED

Flat Repair

Paddler

Just returned from a 2350 mile trip to northern California.  We had two flat tires along the way, back on twisty, isolated roads.  One was on the road south out of Ferndale around Petrolia, the other more than 20 miles outside of Westport on Hwy 1.  Neither was convenient.  We plugged one, inflated it partially until we made it to a gas station.  I was able to nurse the other until we got to a compressor.  We're back in Utah now, the string plugs held up without any leaking.  So, the question now is what to do?  Is it possible to use a plug/patch after a rope plug repair?  I know people have ridden on just rope plugs for the life of the tire.  The rear tire on the 1250RS has plenty of tread, seems wasteful to replace it.  Ideas?  Experiences?

dirtrider
20 minutes ago, Paddler said:

Just returned from a 2350 mile trip to northern California.  We had two flat tires along the way, back on twisty, isolated roads.  One was on the road south out of Ferndale around Petrolia, the other more than 20 miles outside of Westport on Hwy 1.  Neither was convenient.  We plugged one, inflated it partially until we made it to a gas station.  I was able to nurse the other until we got to a compressor.  We're back in Utah now, the string plugs held up without any leaking.  So, the question now is what to do?  Is it possible to use a plug/patch after a rope plug repair?  I know people have ridden on just rope plugs for the life of the tire.  The rear tire on the 1250RS has plenty of tread, seems wasteful to replace it.  Ideas?  Experiences?

Afternoon Paddler

Difficult to say without actually removing the ropes & inspecting the damage. (maybe yes, maybe no)

If both plugs are in the same tire then probably replace the tire.

If you have to pay someone to remove the tire then plug/patch it then probably replace tire as might as well put the labor cost into a new tire installation.

Or, if just riding local then ride it out on the rope plugs until you need a new tire. Personally I have ridden motorcycle tires out to end of life on good rope plugs installed in safe places on the tire but do get a bit nervous at 100+ mph  as the tire gets near end-of-life as the tire tread starts getting pretty thin in the plug area on a well worn tire.  

There is no right answer. I recently had to plug my rear tire to get home. It worked fine, but with tire about 75% gone I never rode it on that plug again. I as DR said, put the labor money into a new tire

Folks ride on plugs all the time, but for piece of mind and to take as few risks as possible on an already risky hobby…I always change the tire when I get a flat. 

Thanks.  One plug in each rear tire, both near center of tread, so safe places.  Both were small leaks, my only concern is the damage caused by reaming the hole so we could get the plug in.  I'd do the plug/patch myself, but it's not easy with just tire irons so I'd rather just ride them until replacing.  We rode back on the "Loneliest road in America" yesterday, US50, a total of 500 miles, mostly 75MPH or less with an occasional burst to 90MPH.  No problem whatsoever.  Just makes me a bit nervous as some say replace tires after a rope plug repair.

This is my opinion only. Check the tire pressure every two days for a week and if you’re not losing any air, ride them till they’re gone. Again my opinion, the tire isn’t going to all of a sudden explode at speed because it has a rope plug in it. Worse case, it starts leaking at some point and you drive another plug in the leak. Then replace it. :5200:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
ESokoloff
27 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

This is my opinion only. Check the tire pressure every two days for a week and if you’re not losing any air, ride them till they’re gone. Again my opinion, the tire isn’t going to all of a sudden explode at speed because it has a rope plug in it. Worse case, it starts leaking at some point and you drive another plug in the leak. Then replace it. :5200:

^^^^^This^^^^^

Providing it’s a Nealey

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
On 5/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, ESokoloff said:

^^^^^This^^^^^

Providing it’s a Nealey

If you read the fine print, most tire strings and other patches are for temporary repair only. The Nealey patch is claimed to be a permanent patch. Also, Nealey does not require teaming the hole so you are not making the puncture larger.

freetime2247

If I have tread left I will ride on the rope plugs as long as the tire is holding pressure. Never had a rope plug fail!

As long as the tire is holding pressure, I'd keep going on it.  Another thing to consider is, if you're an MOA Premium member, they cover two tire replacements a year.  If you're unsure about riding on it, go get a new one and get reimbursed.  Best of luck.  

Safe place in tread, small more or less circular hole, and it holds air w/o leaks............ I've ridden such until the tire is worn to replacement bars. Several times.