IGNORED

Rim Damage

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I made my 10 day trip to Fort Smith Arkansas, the Ozarks and other places and was nearly home when my front rim on my R 1200 RT had an argument with a piece of asphalt, and the piece of asphalt was the winner.

What are your suggestions? Rim repair? Used rim? Or new rim?

0127B60E-1A37-41A1-BE19-B7691C8B9C54.jpeg

does it hold air (correct pressure), does it wobble, if the answer is no to both, I'd leave it alone (I'm cheep like that).

If it doesn't hold air, source a used one from the used market players (ebay, rubbersideup, beemerboneyard).

That little dent certainly looks like it'll offer a nice starting point for future tire changes ;)

dirtrider
6 hours ago, DaveTheAffable said:

I made my 10 day trip to Fort Smith Arkansas, the Ozarks and other places and was nearly home when my front rim on my R 1200 RT had an argument with a piece of asphalt, and the piece of asphalt was the winner.

What are your suggestions? Rim repair? Used rim? Or new rim?

0127B60E-1A37-41A1-BE19-B7691C8B9C54.jpeg

Morning Dave

That is a fairly large damage area but it might be repairable. You might start by sending that photo to some local wheel repair businesses. Or send the picture to https://woodyswheelworks.com/pages/alloy-motorcycle-wheel-repair.

Personally I would probably contact my insurance to see what they cover for how much deductible. In a lot of cases road hazards have a special category. 

• Smile 1

Hey David, Sorry to read about the rim but glad to read about the trip, and that you didn't loose control of the bike.

Check out Dr John's in Anaheim. He should be able to help you out. He did a fine job on a rim of mine a few years ago that was worse than yours. 

• Smile 1

There is also a place in Apple valley that folks here have used successfully, but the name escapes me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 5:27 AM, 9Mary7 said:

+1

+2

He straightened out a 2001 K1200RS rim that I had bent on a rainy, eroding freeway.  Good as new!

• 4 weeks later...
DaveTheAffable

I ended up taking the rim to Dr. John‘s in Anaheim early this week. I got it back after just a couple of days and the work performed was outstanding!  The only delay was that I had just been too busy to pull the rim and drive it over to them.

I was helped by Jim, and found him to be almost as affable as I am. Lol.

Thanks to those who recommended Dr. John’s. I am going to remount the rotors and the rim on the RT sometime in the next day or two.

• Like 1