IGNORED

New old stock '20 RT

KernelClamjuice

KernelClamjuice

Hey everyone.  On the edge of dropping a few bucks......I was looking at a local dealer and the Bike only had 5 miles on it.  The Sales guy told me that BMW requires the motorcycle to be driven about 150 miles prior to Selling.  This is to allow minor tuning and to detect any issues.....

is this true?  

PDI or pre delivery inspection is only a few miles, 5 at most. More than that and it's a demo or they just let a lot of folks test ride it, which is a demo I guess. 

Welcome to the forum.

My '19 RT had 8 miles on it, which was standard for all the inventory at the dealer (now permanently closed) where I bought the bike.  At another dealer, the mileage they list is 15 miles.   So it goes without saying, but your mileage may vary.  150 seems a little far fetched, though.   You can check out a few BMW dealer web sites (including yours) and see what the mileage they list for new inventory and go from there.  

Let us know how it turns out.

They’re telling you a lie just to sell it as new. Max 8-10 miles on every bike I ever bought over the last forty years.

EDIT

Not saying it’s not a new motorcycle but they need to attach “Demo Model” at least in the negotiation process with this bike. IMO,  the mileage alone is worth a grand in your pocket.  Being a year old is worth more discount but you’ll have to work that end of the sale. :)

EDIT again.

misread that the bike only has five miles on it presently. Work the leftover angle then. :rofl:

I think my GSA had five miles on it, listed as new, I asked if it could be sold as a demo, and ya, they knocked $2500 off, sold it to me as a demo,....mebbee a sales gimmick, I dunno, but $2500 off is $2500 off.

KernelClamjuice

Thanks everyone. Valuable information.  And I appreciate it.

Yes, It's listed as a demo and I got $3,000 knocked off the MSRP.   I'm gonna try and squeeze a cover out of them too.

Im ok with it being a demo and them doing due diligence on it; does seem a bit excessive though.  Perhaps it's been sitting on the lot for 2 years and they want to cover their azzez?  I don't know.  I haven't had two wheels down since before my children were born and they are graduating over the next two years.  I recently retired from Government work and I plan to make it all about me when they get their diplomas

Freeeeeeedom!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
KernelClamjuice
3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Welcome to the forum.

My '19 RT had 8 miles on it, which was standard for all the inventory at the dealer (now permanently closed) where I bought the bike.  At another dealer, the mileage they list is 15 miles.   So it goes without saying, but your mileage may vary.  150 seems a little far fetched, though.   You can check out a few BMW dealer web sites (including yours) and see what the mileage they list for new inventory and go from there.  

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the welcome...

$3000 is a nice discount, when I was selling them BMW only discounted them 2k in the demo program. BMW also required the "demo" to have 2000 miles on it before it could be sold.

They have since dropped that mileage requirement but, as others have posted, 3 to 10 miles is normal for a new bike PDI ride.

KernelClamjuice
4 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

$3000 is a nice discount, when I was selling them BMW only discounted them 2k in the demo program. BMW also required the "demo" to have 2000 miles on it before it could be sold.

They have since dropped that mileage requirement but, as others have posted, 3 to 10 miles is normal for a new bike PDI ride.

I thought it was fair discount.  That's what sucked me in.  No knicks or scratches from the demo rides.......nada. I asked them to change all the fluids even though it's new but had been sitting around and they went for it also.  I was saving for a '21 because the new led display screen is fantastic and important to me and my worn eyes....but the interest rate and discount were too good to pass up.  Appreciate your response.

Sounds like they are using the Demo program discount to move a non current bike. Nothing wrong with that!!!

Many times the dealer will "demo" a bike and just put the miles on it and then they can sell it at a discount.   All the better for you the buyer. 

Hey ... be sure to ask for the BMWMOA Discount too!  Should be $500 on an RT I believe. 

KernelClamjuice
1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

Many times the dealer will "demo" a bike and just put the miles on it and then they can sell it at a discount.   All the better for you the buyer. 

Hey ... be sure to ask for the BMWMOA Discount too!  Should be $500 on an RT I believe. 

Yes.......I'm actually getting the USAA discount.  Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

I hope they have the brake caliper issue sorted.  

Old news.... Brembos for all!!!!!!

I bought a 2018 RT when it was a year old.  The dealer said they needed over 200 miles to qualify for the demo discount.  So they let me take it for a day and put 150 miles on it in the mountains of TN and GA.  It was a pleasurable ride, and the price was very good.

Rob Nowell
On 5/7/2021 at 4:11 AM, Rougarou said:

I think my GSA had five miles on it, listed as new, I asked if it could be sold as a demo, and ya, they knocked $2500 off, sold it to me as a demo,....mebbee a sales gimmick, I dunno, but $2500 off is $2500 off.

The Tucson dealer told me they have to have 300 miles to qualify as "demo" sale...

If you are going accessorize with BMW stuff now is the time to ask. I got my Nav V for 1/2. My bike when new had 5 miles when I picked it up. I get lifetime 10% off on parts but have to remind them. Congrats. You have a fine machine

KernelClamjuice
On 5/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, wbw6cos said:

I hope they have the brake caliper issue sorted.  :lurk:

Yes...bike is 100%...I did my due diligence...thank you for the heads up though..

KernelClamjuice
On 5/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, 9Mary7 said:

Old news.... Brembos for all!!!!!!

yep....

KernelClamjuice
3 hours ago, Skywagon said:

If you are going accessorize with BMW stuff now is the time to ask. I got my Nav V for 1/2. My bike when new had 5 miles when I picked it up. I get lifetime 10% off on parts but have to remind them. Congrats. You have a fine machine

good to know thanks....

KernelClamjuice

I know everyone knows what it looks like but everyone always likes them! 

Eye 🍬 

IMG_5094(2).jpg

• Like 2
14 hours ago, KernelClamjuice said:

I know everyone knows what it looks like but everyone always likes them! 

Eye 🍬 

IMG_5094(2).jpg

THAT is my new favorite color.    I love my bronze '16 RT but if I were buying today it would be Manhattan Metallic.  !!

Congrats and many miles of smiles. 

KernelClamjuice
12 hours ago, RTinNC said:

THAT is my new favorite color.    I love my bronze '16 RT but if I were buying today it would be Manhattan Metallic.  !!

Congrats and many miles of smiles. 

Thanks brother....

The daughter looks like she's thinking, "There goes my new car for Highschool Graduation."!!

Been there.  Recognize that look. 

HIS body language says, "You can't hit me in the butt with a red apple."

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
KernelClamjuice
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Somebody is a very artistic picture taker! :thumbsup:

My son....lol. ill give him the compliment...

• Like 1
KernelClamjuice
17 minutes ago, dba said:

Congratulations and welcome!

Thanks Dave.

im also Dave.......A

DMA

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
KernelClamjuice

1,650 miles in and she is begging for more.

heading down to San Diego from the OC in about an hour....

IMG_1034.JPG

KernelClamjuice

I rode for several days without the panniers....it was refreshing and gave a different feel to the bike.....probably mentally.  But once I put them on and polished the bike it was very clear they certainly add another level to the awesomeness of the 1250RT.

• Like 4