IGNORED

R1200 ST Seat Options

MarshMan

Other than a complete custom job, does anyone know what options exist for a seat upgrade for the r12ST?

I actually managed to mangle the little pegs that hold the pillion seat underneath the front seat so that needs to be replaced anyway. Stock seat is only ok, IMHO.

The stock seat sucks! I can't find anyone that wants to make one unless I send mine to RM and it will be a month before I get it back. I have 18,500 miles and it is so compressed it does not return to it's original position. I'm not a little guy by some standards but I do weigh a 185.

flatlander

I asked Sargents (they changed my '02 VFR from a 2hr a day bike to a 12hr a day bike). They said that the ST was the slowest selling BMW model, and they had no immediate plans to to a seat. OTOH, I imagine if a lot of people expressed interest, they might change their minds.

Paul Mihalka
OTOH, I imagine if a lot of people expressed interest, they might change their minds.
There won't be a lot of people expressing interest, because there are not a lot R1200ST in the country and the number is not growing for now.

"Other than a complete custom job, does anyone know what options exist for a seat upgrade for the r12ST? "

Too bad you can't ride up to Rich's in Seattle Wa. for that excellent total custom job. I have no complaints after 14,600 miles but otoh if I am ever back up in Seattle again, and I can wait, I know what upgrade I will be doing next, [already have the Ohlins]. Sorry, just making a shameless plug for Rich's [O'Connor], custom altered motorcyle seats; based upon experience. thumbsup.gif

Christine1200ST

I looked and looked for a seat option...Corbin didn't even return my email! I ended up buying the short seat and putting an Airhawk on it...check the website for these air pads...better than gel and I can ride without buns going numb. thumbsup.gif

rocketbunny

I have a beaded seat cover from Beadrider on mine. It does wonders to relieve pressure points and circulate air in the Texas heat. Looks kinda nerdy though.

Hey hold on just a second here ROCKETBUNNY, I thought you lived in the [south] bay area somewhere, now I see you live in Texas? Is that so?

To me the foam consistency is just about right, the seat covering material is about perfect, the shape is a perfect sport riding shape. For long distance flatbutt work I would prefer a more bucket shape like a Sargent seat. I will probably never replace the seat because for the long distance days

I use a sheepskin. Sheepskin is warm when it is cold out, cool when it hot out and stretches the abilities of any seat. I think it would be hard to make a decent looking bucket shaped seat for the R1200ST.

I'm with you on the seat Steve. I go numb after a couple hours but if I stand on the pegs and move around it is O.K. I have been looking at all the options but don't want to spend $ and find out it doesn't work for me. I may go to the local fabric shop and try a synthetic sheep skin and just see if it works.

Hia, I have always wondered if synthetic sheepskin is any better or worse than the real thing...

One other thing that nobody has touched here is if you lock into one position, you will fatigue. Even on my 20 mile commute to work I find my self stretching and moving around arms, legs whatever. I hate to admit it but I will be moving my controls above the triple tree for comfort around town.

Archived