IGNORED

Gunk slung on front rim?

Couchrocket

Couchrocket

Ever since I got my RT new (04) it has "slung" greasy looking crap on the left side of the front rim. It isn't "runny" and doesn't get on the tread of the tire, just on the surface of the wheel rim. It is thick, and with "dust and bug guts added" kind of like dried out old grease from a leaky grease gun. Seems almost like a seal is missing or something from the ABS, or speedo cable area. The right side of the wheel gets the normal dust and bug guts, but not the greasy gunky mess.

Anyone else find this "normal," or / and do any of you expert wrench types know what could possibly be the culprit? I'm tired of cleaning my rims every time I ride, and it also seems as though it "shouldn't" do this at all. Only bike I've ever owned that has this kind of problem.

No it's not normal. Sounds like you have a wheel bearing seal out. I'd take care of it before the bearing kisses goodbye too.

Stan Walker

Another possibility is that some over zealous wrench has over applied grease to the speedometer gear.

Stan

Brian Smith

I had the same problem with my 04 RT. I had A&S BMW look at it and they said it was a combination of excess grease from the speed-o drive and brake dust. I had small amounts of this on the back wheel also which was just brake dust. It just wipes off with a damp rag. As the miles pile on, the less gunk I have on the wheels.

Archived