IGNORED

Service manual on Windows 10 PC

Rockosmith

Rockosmith

For those more computer savvy than me, can the BMW service manual be installed to run on the hard drive of a laptop running Windows 10?  I had it installed on a desktop running Windows 7 until that computer died.  Bought a new laptop and had the store set it up as I am ignorant on Windows 10.  They said it would not run on anything other than 7 or 8.  Anyone do a permanent install on a Windows 10 PC? 

I'm running it on Windows 10.  Can't recall if I needed to do anything extra?  It does take a while to open, you may even think it won't. 

dirtrider
8 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

For those more computer savvy than me, can the BMW service manual be installed to run on the hard drive of a laptop running Windows 10?  I had it installed on a desktop running Windows 7 until that computer died.  Bought a new laptop and had the store set it up as I am ignorant on Windows 10.  They said it would not run on anything other than 7 or 8.  Anyone do a permanent install on a Windows 10 PC? 

Afternoon   Rockosmith

Yes, no, maybe so__

The service manual will work from your hard-drive (if you can get it to install there). The newer BMW service manuals seem to have some sort of built in anti-pirate ware built in so some of the newer computers (win 10) DVD readers see that & won't allow a full (working) copy  to be installed. 

My old shop computer will allow it to download to hard drive & work just fine, my latest win 10 computer or laptop won't allow that. But I could transfer it to my win 10 computer & laptop as a direct file transfer, it then worked OK. 

Try it to see if it will work, if not then see if you still have your old win 7 old hard-drive, if so just hook that win 7 drive to your win 10  computer as an additional drive then move it over to your win 10 machine. 

Yes, it will work.  I have a Win10 desktop, and recently updated my PC to the latest Win10 version.  With previous Windows updates, I never had a problem with my online BMW Repair Manual.  But this time, when I started my Repair Manual, what I discovered is that I needed to reenter my "Serial Number" which is printed inside the jewel case for my DVD, and that afterwards my installation was re-activated.  The new activation message states that it is unlimited -- that it can be installed on on unlimited number of PC's.  This message is contradicted by the startup message that states a maximum of 3 PCs can be used with the software.  I think the policy must have been updated to allow unlimited activations.

The other thing that you might encounter is that when the software installs on your hard drive, it will leave two ".exe" files in the top directory.  Both will run the program, but only one of them will run it off the hard drive.   The one running off the hard drive is the updateable version.  It is the larger of the two files.  Use that one.

At this writing, the latest version for my K52 is R_Models_K5x_202002

Cap

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, ducati2 said:

I found the service manual for $14.95

Tradebit

anyone try this?

Evening ducati2

Those are usually pirated service manuals sold with blatant copyright infringement so not many here would recommend a stolen service manual  (at least I hope not anyhow).

I am not sure how it works on the newer manuals, but I use the hexhead service manual on my Win10 pc.  I copied the cd to an iso so I would not need the cd, then double click or "mount" the iso file so the computer sees it as an installed disk.

Just copy the entire CD to a new folder on your Windows 10 laptop or PC.  Find the executable (Repair_Manuals.exe) in the new folder you created and run it.  It will act just like the CD, only from the hard drive.  Having it on your hard drive, you will be able to download all available updates and keep current with changes.

1 hour ago, Rainman48 said:

Just copy the entire CD to a new folder on your Windows 10 laptop or PC.  Find the executable (Repair_Manuals.exe) in the new folder you created and run it.  It will act just like the CD, only from the hard drive.  Having it on your hard drive, you will be able to download all available updates and keep current with changes.

Afternoon  Rainman48

I'm not sure what you are working with but the BMW repair manuals haven't been on a CD for years now, been DVD for a long time now.  

Oldrider51
On 5/6/2021 at 6:48 AM, strataj said:

Its BMW part # 01 59 8 405 651  I got mine from a dealer on-line.

Did a Google search with this part number and it indicated that the SM is only good for these models: BMW R1200GS 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017BMW R1200GS Adventure 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and BMW R1200RT 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. So, where can one find a SM manual for the other models, specifically a 2016 R1200RS? Thanks

19 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Did a Google search with this part number and it indicated that the SM is only good for these models: BMW R1200GS 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017BMW R1200GS Adventure 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and BMW R1200RT 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. So, where can one find a SM manual for the other models, specifically a 2016 R1200RS? Thanks

Order part number 01 59 8 569 005.  

I'd also suggest becoming familiar with the parts "fiche" available online at Max BMW and realoem.com.

In this case,  Max's site at https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=57054&rnd=09082020 provides the 2016 RS part numbers. The service manual is listed under Literature.  Many of Max's listings also show useful photos of the parts, and in some cases even have tips for installation.

If you already have a part number, realoem.com will provide a handy cross-reference list showing other models that use the same part. (Max's Search function can do the same, but I don't find it as easy to read or summarize.)

image.png.be873118dd5e30f02681b380f9c82ea6.png

Oldrider51
1 hour ago, lkraus said:

Order part number 01 59 8 569 005.  

I'd also suggest becoming familiar with the parts "fiche" available online at Max BMW and realoem.com.

In this case,  Max's site at https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=57054&rnd=09082020 provides the 2016 RS part numbers. The service manual is listed under Literature.  Many of Max's listings also show useful photos of the parts, and in some cases even have tips for installation.

If you already have a part number, realoem.com will provide a handy cross-reference list showing other models that use the same part. (Max's Search function can do the same, but I don't find it as easy to read or summarize.)

image.png.be873118dd5e30f02681b380f9c82ea6.png

Thanks, will look into it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, strataj said:

Its BMW part # 01 59 8 405 651  I got mine from a dealer on-line.

Does anybody know if this one also covers the Australian model ???

It's really hard to get one over here.

10 hours ago, Alfred02 said:

Does anybody know if this one also covers the Australian model ???

It's really hard to get one over here.

Morning  Alfred02

This is kind of difficult to tell without testing.

You need to PM someone that has that manual,  then send them your VIN number, then have them put YOUR  VIN number into the manual search box to see if it comes up with a match. 

On US bikes the manual will work OK just using model, year, & accessory content but on non US bikes using the VIN number is usually best. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did the same thing as Rainman suggests...copied all of the files and folders to a folder (directory) in the root of the hard drive, then I run the executable file to get things going.  I find this easier than messing with the DVD each time plus it's so much faster I/O than the slow DVD data stream.  

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 9:23 PM, dirtrider said:

Morning  Alfred02

This is kind of difficult to tell without testing.

You need to PM someone that has that manual,  then send them your VIN number, then have them put YOUR  VIN number into the manual search box to see if it comes up with a match. 

On US bikes the manual will work OK just using model, year, & accessory content but on non US bikes using the VIN number is usually best. 

Thanks DR

I didn't see your reply as I had not set the "Follow topic"

Ended up ordering it from the local BMW dealer who had it here within a week at a fully compatible price. So he didn't add any extraordinary profit margin. While there, I ordered some other maintenance parts and they were reasonable priced as well.

For this reason, I might not get him to do the maintenance, but I am more then happy to buy my parts through him.

I do prefer to support local business unless:

1) They can't supply the service

2) Can't supply the service in a reasonable time frame, compared to others

3) Add a stupid amount of mark up

• 1 year later...
RadioFlyer
9 hours ago, KipJosh said:

And hey, while I've got your attention, I noticed you mentioned Windows 10. If you ever need to purchase a Windows 10 product key, check out windows 10 product key reddit. As for how to do a permanent install on a Windows 10 PC, I'm not sure of the specifics. It might be worth reaching out to BMW's support team or the company that produces the service manual to see if they have any tips on how to do this.

BMW no longer supplies service manuals for any model, any year. Only pirated copies available now. New models like the R18 have no service manual available from any source. This is the case going forward for anything new.

Support the Right to Repair!