Need a picture favor

Skywagon

Skywagon

If you have a 2014 or newer RT would you mind posting a picture that is the same as this.  This is the right hand storage box.  I am particularly interested in the bottom part of the box.  I'll explain later.    That is looking from back to front. Thanks in advance.

storage.jpg

Skywagon

Thank you.....look at yours compared to mine at the southern end where it overlays the fairing.  Yours looks like it either meets the fairing or is really close.  Mine has a big gap.  Am I seeing yours correctly.  If so the dealer screwed this up.

The mystery....I just got my bike out from the dealer for a 24k check.  I was closer to 30k but with Covid...I was a little late..  I bought the bike there new and have had it serviced there at every interval.  My prior bike was bought there and they were the only ones who ever touched it..  I won't say who as I think it is about to get ugly.

So here goes...I removed all the panels to remove the engine crash bars before I took it in.  I didn't want to pay their $129/hour rate to remove the bars plus I wasn't sure they would know how to put them back.  I have all the fairing parts off many times as I do all fluid changes and cleaning.  When I picked up the bike, I did a quick walk around to see if anything looked out of order.  Looked ok I thought.  I rode home and again starting removing all the panels to put the bars back on.  There were a couple of missing screws ( no problem I keep spares but a hair annoying).  I noticed the radio button panel was kind of hanging down.  I assumed for some reason while changing the air cleaner they may not have tightened the two screws that holds this panel....Now look what I see.  It was broken in two places, some shotty glue work, and one piece hanging by blue painters tape.  Now I'm pissed and start looking at the bike closely.  The front fender isn't on correctly.  The tabs are not in the slots and its just sticking up.  On the right side panel it's not in the grooves so explains why they didn't get one of the screws in. The pinch bolts on the front wheel are hand tight.  How the hell did I make it home.

They are closed on Monday's.  I sent them a rather nasty not today and will wait to hear from them tomorrow 

fairing 1.jpg

fairing 2.jpg

fairing 3.jpg

wbw6cos

I see the gap now.  I was thinking that you wanted to see the inside of the box (bottom.)   DOH!

When I was running the wires for my Darla lights, I had that box removed (not sure if I needed it out of the way) as I was exploring a way to run the wires along that side to get them to the battery.  I had a gap in a different place along with an extra screw or two.  Yeah, there is always extras!  Of course, this was back before I knew about Boxflyer's screw location sheets, which I picked up at START.  That reminds me tthat I need to get the foam board and adhesive to make them proper Boxflyer Boards.  

Not too long after I installed those Clearwater lights, I had the bike in for service and the tech noted missing screws and replaced them upon reassembly.  Kudos.  I never knew where those screws went and I did NOT want to take it all apart again just to see if I can find out where.  Part of mystery about tupperware is knowing how the pieces fit together, THEN where the fastener screws go.  UGH.

Sorry for your plight, though.  I hope you get it sorted, or they do.

Rinkydink

All of the above is unacceptable but pinch bolts not torqued correctly. That is a SERIOUS oversight. 

Skywagon

Both of those compartments have big gaps. I don’t want the dealer to touch it again. Do you know what has to be removed to get to those and seat them correctly?  Is it just that screw in the box or more?

I hope they will order and pay for a new radio button panel but no way I would let them install it

Hosstage

At the cheapo quick oil change shops, all procedures go thru a checklist with a second employee checking off. Yet at a high end shop working on motorcycles, procedures which directly affect safety are not. (I have had two similar experiences at dealers, including a loose front brake caliper.)

Good luck today talking to the shop, I hope you get satisfactory response from them.

The removal and reassembly of the panels are covered in Boxflyer's 6-part series on the major maintenance.  The short answer is that you need to remove the side fairings in order to get at the storage boxes.

Those parts are expensive.  Even the replacement screws are expensive.  I think I would confront the dealer about the sloppy work and the dishonest attempt to hide the damage on the radio panel.  Hope you get some satisfaction from them.

Cap

TEWKS

My question is, what kind of person could do this to a customer’s bike and then be able to go home after work feeling ok about it. :dontknow:

Oh yeah, a dishonest one! :dopeslap:

Could it have been...

New guy on the job that never had any training at all on these bikes?

A decent mechanic that was having personal issues and in a pissed off mood taking his frustrations out on your bike?

Was there slime ball higher ups that said to cover up the mess?

How about under the engine valve covers? Was the same attention to detail followed there also? 

alegerlotz

I've had some tabs broken off on my bike due to tech overtightening them during a service that I paid for.  Of course I didn't discover the issue until much later with no way to prove that they did it.

This is why I do my own work now.

ducati2

my 2015 has a similar gap, but it does not have a RH storage compartment.  it is just a blank panel on the right side, no compartment like the left.   I have no idea why,  as I am the 3rd owner.

MichiganBob

This is unbelievable. I can't say I have heard of such shoddy service but I expect that it happens.  Interested in the dealer's response. Damn shame.

Rob Nowell

Well, a few years ago there appeared a beautiful new BMW dealership/showroom in Santa Clarita, CA.  Mysteriously (to me), it disappeared after only two (three, maybe) years.  Rumor has it their service department caused them to be shuttered.  I would probably report your problems to the powers that be.

alegerlotz

I hadn't heard that rumor, but I didn't see them moving many bikes either.  Its a shame too, I moved to the area a few months before they closed, so I was happy to have a dealership 2 miles from my house and then they closed.

Colorado Jeff

That is unbelievably bad!  Unfortunately, not unusual.  I almost ALWAYS had a problem with the work at the local dealer.  An example would be not bleeding the brakes after replacing the fluid.  Once they tried to send me down the road with the big stickers still on my new tires.  Another time when they were putting on new tires (the LAST time I took it there), it looked like they grabbed the edge of the rim with a pliers and cranked down hard.  They left three huge gashes  in my rim, not to mention the rim was oily and had hand prints all over it.  I now take my bike 70 miles south to a different dealer.

When doing the check-in, I take copious pictures of everything and anything they may or may not touch.  Then I have a photographic evidence of how it was before they touched it, AND they watched me take the picture so they cannot argue they pictures were from the past.  I know that this is difficult in this instance as it was internal under the fairing.

What is the dealer's name and where are they located?

Skywagon

Well I just heard from the Service Manager and the Tech.  It was kind of fun as well as frustrating.  Of course the didn't do it, because they didn't take those pieces off..and as you know plastic parts deteriorate over time so they must of broken after you picked it up.  

Oh..you didn't take them off...no we didn't.  Well them I am really curious how you replaced the airfilter you charge me for?  Which one is it..you took them off and changed the airfilter or you charged me for one and didn't do the work.  I'll save a lot more of the conversation for later, but when I told them look you are going to make good on this either voluntarily or through small claims court or with a formal complaint to AMEX.

So I am going in tomorrow at 10 for them to take a look because they don't understand from my picture what broke...

Skywagon

This is what it looked like when it arrived from the factory.  I guess their is a gap but sure looks wider now.  After speaking with Boxflyer it's likely the tabs in front of the box weren't stabbed correctly.

image.thumb.png.36f4183e91eaa015afb6b3ba440ca59e.png

wbw6cos

To flat out lie and accuse you of doing something that did not happen is not a good way to retain repeat customers.  They should have said "Oh, sorry  about that.  Bring it by so we can take a look at it and see what the problem may be."   It is not like they have to admit fault right away.   Golly.

Aussie Mark

I'd be furious finding that.

For those in the RT OCD club, or it may be just me the gap at the inboard tip on my bike 2.5mm both sides. 

Looks about the same as wbw6cos.

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

roadscholar

I would call BMW of North America tell them who you are, how long you've been riding BMW's and speak to someone in management. Then I would get the contact info for the regional dealer rep and the regional service rep and explain the situation to them too, that will get the dealer's attention.  If they did that to your bike they're doing it to others and BMW corporate needs to know it (if they don't already), it's not an image they want to project.  

Skywagon

I went to the dealer as planned this morning.  The phone call yesterday, as previously posted, didn't go well.  Today in person they couldn't have been nicer.  Show us what went wrong.  I showed them all the issues and they agreed without hesitation to take care of it.  They took care of everything but the panel while I waited.  The panel they ordered and will call when it comes in.

It's unfortunate service org's get careless from time to time, but when they step up and agree to correct their mistakes...well I guess I can get over it...

P.S.  Thanks to all of you who offered help and took pictures.  What a great motorcycle community.

• Like 7
MichiganBob

I can't help but think that a totally untrained staff person hobbled up the job. Yes, it's good that they stepped  up to the plate but what happened must leave some scar tissue or am I being too harsh? What has been your past experience with service at this dealer Skywagon? Will you go back to them again for service?

MB

Rinkydink

I would want to meet with the “mechanic” that performed your service and have a chat. I would be nice but firm. Not saying broken patched bits don’t matter but pinch bolts left hand tight is a frightful thing in my eyes. Unacceptable 

Hosstage

For me, no need to speak to the mechanic, too much of a chance it doesn't end well. A conversation with the service manager or owner would suffice.

If I screwed something up at work, and my boss unleashed a customer on me, I would not be happy. If I asked to speak with the customer to apologize, that is a different story.

• Like 2
Skywagon

I did meet with the service manager and the general manager.  As mentioned they couldn’t have been nicer and more willing to help. The GM said only BMW Master Techs do the real work, but they don’t do tires. They leave that to lesser qualified personnel. Not surprising.

I shared with them how the aircraft industry will allow apprentices to work on things but it is a legal requirement the FAA Tech or IA is required to oversee their work and/or inspect the work, then put their name and license/liability on the line

The GM told the Service Manager we should start doing that today. Do I think they will… doubt it but at least they listened

Michigan Bob…. Does this taint me for future maintenance… yes. I will use them again but when I check in I’ll meet with the SM just to chat

The only thing I take it in for since the warranty ran out is valve check and tires. I’ll probably just take my wheels to Cycle Gear going forward. They charge $40each. If I can catch a good tech day and learn to do the valves, then I’ll do that too. I know there are videos but want to see/feel the first time

With all that said I plan to click off 500-600 miles this weekend. Morning temps 62 and highs of 84. 

• Like 2