IGNORED

Harley-Davidson Pan America Review - Unleash the Beast!

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2021 Harley Davidson Pan America First Ride Review

2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America First Ride Review

"This is not your dad’s Harley-Davidson."  first ran through my head when I threw a leg over the all-new 2021 Pan America. Did the Motor Company just toss some brand name components onto an untested powerplant and call it an “adventure motorcycle”?  For an initial price of around $17,000, how would the Pan America perform in an increasingly competitive adventure motorcycle market? Other journalists who had ridden the bike felt Harley had hit a home run, although no one could tell me exactly why.

2021 Harley Pan Am Road 2 KW

I had not had the chance to see the Pan America in the flesh before this launch. Unveiled at EICMA in 2019, the Pan Am would only make an appearance at a handful of motorcycle trade shows thereafter, none of which I was able to attend. From the photos shared on the internet, it looked, well, different. My first impressions were that it was huge. A wide, overweight ADV entry from the brand who had brought us chrome baggers and ape hangers. I wasn’t necessarily un-attracted to the bike aesthetically, but it definitely put off the vibe H-D was trying to do something different (at all costs). When I finally spoke with their engineers about the design, they made it abundantly clear the intention was to differentiate the Pan Am from its competitors, maintain a distinctly Harley-Davidson look, and absolutely avoid adding any “beaks and scoops which serve no purpose.” And scoop-free the Pan Am is.

2021 Harley Pan Am Trailer KW

In person, the Pan America is more appealing than I’d imagined. The wide features which I had anticipated are no more than radiator shrouds guarded by crash bars. Overall, the bike is narrow where it counts and can be easily controlled with the rider’s knees when standing on the pegs. Reaching the bars felt comfortable while seated and nearly perfect for my 5-foot, 9-inch frame when I was up off the saddle. And there’s an optional two-inch bar riser that doesn’t require lengthening the cables. The fairing was designed to connect the Pan Am to its cruiser and touring lineage—think Fat Bob headlight meets Road Glide. It’s distinctly H-D, and while some may find the look unappealing, to each their own.

• Engine, Power and Performance

At the heart of the Pan America is the all-new Revolution Max 1250 engine. The liquid-cooled, 1,252cc, 60-degree V-twin with DOHC and four valves per cylinder produces 150 horsepower and 94 lb.-ft. of torque with a 9,500-rpm redline. The motor features crankshaft connecting-rod journals, offset 30 degrees creating a 90-degree firing order, forged aluminum pistons, a 13.0:1 compression ratio which calls for 91-octane fuel, hydraulic valve lash adjusters, eliminating the need for valve adjustments, and variable valve timing. The latter can advance or retard camshaft timing for up to 40 degrees of crankshaft rotation, yielding plenty of low-end grunt and an abundance of top-end horsepower. The buzzword is “linear”—so far, the easiest way to describe Harley-Davidson’s new Revolution Max powerplant.

Harley Pan Am Radiator JWC

First impressions were more akin to a passionate love affair than a long, simpering walk on the beach. On the pavement, the Revolution Max 1250 and its 150 horsepower literally pulled my face into the Joker’s smile. Honest enough, but entirely sincere. Mid-range was the sweet spot, providing ample power and delivery with a slight twist of the wrist. It sang its song, and I listened. I won’t go too deep into the riding experience just yet, but understand, this isn’t only ADV—it’s sport touring as well.

I asked the Harley-Davidson team about their intentions while developing this entirely new motorcycle. In other words, who was their target demographic? Rider audience? And were they aiming at the Bavarian GS and KTM, the Italian or the Japanese OEMs as a whole? “Right in the middle,” was their reply. They weren’t looking to build the best off-road ADV vehicle. Or one which is the most capable on the road. They were looking to launch a bike that could do all of the things—some equally, some better. Yet, as far as I’m concerned, the Revolution Max 1250 is the fuse which lit H-D’s dynamite stick.

Harley Pan Am LeftSide JWC

• CHASSIS

Seven and a half inches of suspension travel. That was a number I hadn’t anticipated. Up front you’ll find an electronically adjustable Showa 47mm inverted dual-cartridge fork with semi-active damping control, mated to a Showa Piggyback reservoir rear shock that is, shockingly, also electronically adjustable. They’re connected and will adjust in tandem depending on the ride mode selected. The swingarm is a cast aluminum unit, which reduces overall weight thanks to the Revolution Max being a central, structural component of the Pan America. The fuel tank is also aluminum, which again aided in reducing overall weight. It carries 5.6 gallons of fuel and is shaped like a bathtub, allowing the weight of the fuel to sit lower in the chassis.

Harley Pan Am Banner JWC

• ACCESSORIES

Both the Standard and Special iterations come equipped with cast wheels: 19-inch front and 17-inch rear. Stainless steel cross-laced spoked wheels are available for an additional $500. Each model is equipped with the Michelin Scorcher Adventure tires from the factory, a tire designed specifically for the Pan Am. The press bike was equipped with Michelin Anakee Wilds, a much better option if you’re going to spend time in the sand and dirt. There’s an adjustable windscreen with four positions to improve road riding comfort. In its lowest position, the standard height windscreen kept air off my chest with little to no buffeting. I did, however, struggle to operate the windscreen adjustment lever while in motion; it requires both hands and some force.

Harley Pan Am Exhaust JWC

The 1250 Standard tips the scales at 534 lb. fueled. An impressive number, especially when compared to its competition. The Special weighs in at 559 lb., but adds a more substantial skid plate, spoked wheels, the Adaptive Ride Height technology, and crash bars, and it’ll be closer to 570 lb. Although, honestly, it carries the weight very well. Center of gravity feels low, and thanks to a shorter seat height (33.5–34.5 inches with the standard seat), the Pan Am feels as agile as any ADV bike on the market, if not more so.

Unlike the Standard model, off the showroom floor the Special comes equipped with heated grips, an aluminum skid plate, crash bars, an Ohlins steering damper, and a center stand. That said, Harley intends to sell as many Standard models as the Special, envisioning their customers upgrading their Pan Americas over time with options from their parts and accessories catalog. Given that the powerplant, electronic package, and suspension are identical on both models, I can see buyers opting for the less expensive Standard version ($17,319 MSRP) over the Special ($19,999 MSRP), and customizing to suit their needs. Or perhaps when the aftermarket fills in the blanks. Color options for the Standard are Vivid Black and River Rock Gray. The Special comes in Vivid Black, Gauntlet Gray Metallic, and Baja Orange/Stone Washed White Pearl.

Harley Pan Am Lineup JWC

• ELECTRONICS

OEMs are in a technological arms race to compete in the large-bore ADV segment these days. Inertia Measurement Units (IMU), lean-angle ABS, traction control and a multitude of riding modes, suspension settings and engine mapping are expected on anything with more than 1,000cc and a $15,000+ price tag. Harley-Davidson’s engineers know this and opted for Bosch’s six-axis IMU unit. Coupled with their own software, the Pan America provides five different ride modes: Rain, Road, Sport, Off-Road and Off-Road Plus. They describe their semi-active suspension modes as Comfort, Balanced, Sport Off-Road Soft and Off-Road Firm.

The Pan America Special I spent the weekend with was equipped with Adaptive Ride Height (ARH) technology, a notable first for the ADV segment. ARH is a $1,000 option and automatically transitions the motorcycle between a lowered static position and higher optimal ride height when the bike is moving. When in motion, the semi-active Showa suspension is automatically and electronically adjusted to provide 30% sag. While slowing below 15 mph, the ARH then activates, dropping the seat between one and two inches, depending on the current sag setting. This allows riders with a shorter inseam to stand more comfortably on the ground when at a complete stop. Then the bike rises when the wheels start turning. To me, this technology will open up the ADV segment to a much larger audience. It is unobtrusive and worked seamlessly throughout my test ride. Something to note, if the system were to fail, the ARH will set the bike in its highest position to interfere with ground clearance.

Harley Pan Am Controls JWC

The semi-active electronically adjustable suspension is nearly flawless. Lean-angle ABS and traction control work as advertised, providing riders with a level of confidence otherwise absent from old-school adventure machines. ABS is functioning in both the front and rear during all modes except Off-Road Plus, where the rear ABS is deactivated. This can only be accomplished by coming to a complete stop, holding down the mode button while in Off-Road mode, and waiting until the icon turns purple. Front ABS is reduced to minimal invasiveness in Plus position and didn’t interfere with my ability to stop in gravel or sand.

There’s a slew of acronyms associated with the electronic suite available on the Pan America: Cornering Enhanced Linked Braking System (C-ELB), Cornering Enhanced Traction Control System (C-TCS), Drag-Torque Slip Control System (DSCS), Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), etc. Like most modern adventure motorcycles, the acronyms integrate and operate without interference and provide a safety net simply unheard of in years past.

2021 Harley Pan Am Slide KW

• AND MORE TECH

But is all that technology necessary? Harley-Davidson was noticeably clear they were aiming at dead center of the ADV market when developing the Pan America. They knew their competitors were offering riders a wide array of electronic aids, and they didn’t want to fall short. That said, the H-D engineering team didn’t opt for a forward-facing radar and adaptive cruise control system, nor did they include a quick-shifter. But the absence of those two features doesn’t diminish what the Pan America offers. Yes, I’d like to eventually see a quick shifter as an option, but the absence of radar was a pleasant surprise. Sometimes, too much tech is simply too much.

If you’re not satisfied with one of the five available ride modes, a custom mode is available. Starting with one of the pre-programmed options, you can change engine torque delivery characteristics, engine braking, throttle response, traction control and ABS intervention, as well as suspension damping levels. Customization is a little tasking, as the menu navigation can seem overwhelming at first glance. But after a few tries, I was able to update the Off-Road mode so I could increase engine braking and reduce traction control, while still maintaining minimal ABS invasiveness and a softer suspension setup. It was a perfect combination for the washboard dirt roads we’d ride later that day.

2021 HD Pan America dash screens

The cockpit features a 6.8-inch color TFT touchscreen display covered in a non-reflective glass, making it easier to see in most lighting conditions. The screen tilts slightly to afford the rider a better view depending on preference. However, I found the display difficult to see when standing on the pegs. The screen presents a multitude of information in the standard configuration. At the center is the indicated speed surrounded by an arching tachometer graph, with the odometer and gear indicator below. In each of the corners are customizable widgets. They can be set to exhibit anything from turn-by-turn navigation, infotainment information, and motorcycle status (oil pressure, voltage, etc.), to trip meter information. There is also a D-pad on the left control bundle that allows you to navigate the screen. I found the display cluttered and too difficult to decipher the information I wanted most: indicated speed, gear and revolutions per minute. Fortunately, there’s a “Base Screen Display” option which all but eliminates the widgets and puts your MPH and RPM at the forefront. And although I still feel the gear indicator is too small, it’s a minor gripe which could be solved with firmware down the road. All in all, the touchscreen TFT display was relatively intuitive and easy to operate.

Overall, the tech incorporated into the Pan America is on par with every other big-bore adventure motorcycle on the market. But it’s the Adaptive Ride Height system which truly sets the Pan Am apart from the competition. I suspect we’ll see similar systems on offerings from the German, Austrian and Japanese OEMs in the very near future.

Harley Pan Am ZAKAR JWC

• ON-ROAD PERFORMANCE 

Our test ride began at RawHyde’s ZAKAR facility in Mojave, CA. We left the compound and piled onto the pavement like a biker gang from a 1960s flick. The Revolution Max 1250 motor makes V-twin noises but not the kind you’d expect from a Harley-Davidson. A low growl was followed by a pitched whine as we accelerated toward the 9,500-rpm redline. Gear changes are sharp; however, the shifter was a bit long for my size nine shoe, which left me reaching when going up through the gearbox. Power is immediate, and it sings all the way through the RPM range, pulling consistently. One hundred fifty horsepower fall right between the 131 offered on the BMW R1250GS and the 165 produced by KTM’s 1290 Super Adventure. Exactly where H-D wanted to be. In Sport mode, the bike accelerates like a sport-touring motorcycle. Grip is phenomenal, with the firm suspension settings, wheelie control and traction aids working overtime. The dual Brembo radial-mount calipers and 320mm discs bring things to a halt in a hurry. Brake feel is solid, without much, if any, fade under a heavy hand. And the bars are wide, providing plenty of leverage in the twisties.

2021 Harley Pan Am Road KW

As we climbed in elevation in the mid-morning light, I turned on the heated grips and tried to adjust the windscreen, to no avail. With a set of Anakee Wild tires mounted to cross-laced spoked wheels, I was admittedly at a traction disadvantage compared to my compatriots with their more road-friendly Scorcher Adventure tires. But the integrated traction control system kept the back wheel from losing too much ground while navigating some off-camber blind crests. The slipper clutch was forgiving, and lugging the motor in second gear didn’t seem to upset anything through slower hairpins. At speed, the bike felt extraordinarily stable. While gear changes going up were a bit slower for me due to my difficulty reaching the shift lever, cracking down through them was swift and efficient. I had quickly found myself in the “greater than” category when it came to the speed limit. Our paved ride led us north toward Lake Isabella via winding mountain roads interconnected in such a way I felt as if I was suffering from deja vu every six turns or so. It was a perfect proving ground for the Pan America’s on-road abilities, and I walked away realizing Harley-Davidson had built a substantial machine in both the adventure and sport-touring categories.

• OFF-ROAD PERFORMANCE

Being perfectly honest, it was the off-road portion of the test ride I was most apprehensive about before this press launch. I’ve ridden nearly every brand of ADV bike available, but an untested platform from a manufacturer known for producing vessels a bit overweight… well, I wasn’t so sure. The first day was spent running through a RawHyde Adventures skills course, effectively their Level One, which focused on slow-speed maneuvers, panic stops, and clutch control. It was a nice refresher for the skills I had acquired over time, mostly from chasing after friends who were faster than me and utilizing the trial-and-error system to a fault.

2021 Harley Pan Am Standing KW

As mentioned, Pan America carries its weight down low. Standing on the pegs (which were a bit small for my taste) this feature allowed me to turn and rotate the bike quickly and easily. In the slow-speed obstacle course, the bike was stable, and its overall balance amplified by the fact that it could be swung through corners by spinning the back tire and reducing the apex. We also rode the Pan Americas on a small motocross track where I was able to find the bottom of the suspension stroke. Through the whoops section, its 559 lb. (570 lb. as tested) were made all the more evident. But, nonetheless, it kept its composure. We moved on to a long, deep sand pit where the RawHyde instructors demonstrated proper riding technique. Stay light on the handlebar, heavy on the throttle, keep your weight back and let the bike do its thing. Now, I’ve ridden my share of ADV machines in deep sandy situations, and it is definitely not my favorite flavor of off-road riding. But my confidence had been boosted by the Pan America’s stable nature and low center of gravity. Entering the pit at speed, the bike didn’t carry its weight over the front wheel, unlike several of its adversaries. Ultimately, it plowed through the deep sand box without any issues.

2021 Harley Pan Am Jump KW

We left the training facility the next day and ventured onto a network of dirt roads leading deep into the Sierras, freshly graded in some sections. Off-Road mode, with its softer suspension damping, soaked up the washboard ruts and ripples, allowing me to carry highway speeds along the wide roads. When the wide scored roads turned to sandy two-track, I came to a stop, switched the Pan America to Off-Road Plus and proceeded onward. This allowed the rear wheel to spin freely without traction control, as well as lock up and slide when needed. Plus was the perfect option for the kind of terrain I encountered. The bar risers were the optimal height for my size, and fast-speed maneuvers felt almost second nature. Rotating the rear end with ample wheel spin, I could stay tall and centered over the handlebar, confident in my ability to navigate any obstacles which would come my way. To say I was surprised would be a massive understatement. I was one with the machine. It went where my eyes went, wandering only when I wanted it to. Power delivery was smooth, not stuttered. The abundance of horsepower was evident, but not overwhelming.

2021 Harley Pan Am Jump 2 KW

The aggressive 25-degree steering head angle made tight maneuvers feel ordinary, and the Ohlins steering damper on the Special model added confidence when riding in deeper sand. But it’s not adjustable and being able to stiffen it up when riding through a “beach” would be a nice addition. Additionally, the narrow tank allowed me to grip the Pan America securely with my knees, making steering inputs less aggressive and more optimized. The TFT display was difficult to see when standing on the pegs, and although it could be tilted slightly, it was not easily visible. I also noted the power and start buttons were placed atop the right-side control bundle. When I stalled the bike during a long, slow downhill skid, I thumbed for the starter button only to find myself hitting what I think was the “push to talk” button.

I questioned H-D’s engineers about their choice in location, and they told me, “You only use the starter button once on each ride.” That’s how you know they’re from Wisconsin. Aside from the poorly located power and start buttons and the nearly invisible TFT display, the Pan America blew my mind, for lack of a better phrase. I was riding more aggressively, tackling obstacles and entering corners at speeds which I would normally reserve for a dual-sport or dirt bike. Instead, I found myself confident and composed, through deep sand and down narrow two-track, over rocks and in loose corners.

2021 Harley Pan Am Slide 2 KW

• OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

Not everyone likes the aesthetic of the Pan America. Yeah, it kind of looks like Bender from Futurama, especially clad in the Gauntlet Gray Metallic colorway (which I happen to like). And sure, it’s a Harley-Davidson—what do they know about adventure bikes? But my first impression is my final impression. This is not, in fact, your father’s (grandfather’s, mom’s, or uncle’s) Harley-Davidson. The Motor Co. took a great deal of time researching, developing, dissecting, understanding, and observing the ADV market before ever putting pen to paper. They pulled components from the same trusted names you’ll find attached to a BMW, KTM, Ducati, Honda or Triumph. They’ve engineered a powerplant which is beyond impressive and will open up a lot of opportunity for H-D if they continue to do things right. The Adaptive Ride Height is an undeniable game changer. And with a fighting weight of 559 lb., they’re competing in the same class as KTM’s 1290, BMW’s 1250 and Ducati’s V4.

Say what you will about how it looks, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you cannot deny its beastly abilities both on and off the road. Did Harley-Davidson build a real adventure bike? No, they created an ADV machine, a sport-touring motorcycle and a technological powerhouse that could undoubtedly send them to the top of the segment. Yes, those are fighting words. With this bike comes competition. And competition, my friends, breeds excellence indeed.

For more information on Harley's exciting new adventure bike, visit: Harley-Davidson.com

Harley Pan Am Tank Detail JWC

• Harely Davidson Pan America Price and Specifications

PRICE/MSRP: Starting at $17,,000 and $19,999 for the 1250 Special
ENGINE: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 60-Degree V-Twin
DISPLACEMENT: 1,252cc (76.3 cu in)
BORE X STROKE: 4.13 in. (105 mm) x 2.83 in (72 mm)
HORSEPOWER: 150 @ 9,000 RPM
TORQUE: 94 ft-lbs @ 6,750 RPM
DRIVETRAIN: Chain Drive
FRONT FORK: Fully adjustable 47mm USD Fork / Electronically adjustable semi-active damping control for Special model
REAR SHOCK: Fully adjustable monoshock / Automatic electronic preload,  compression and rebound for  Special model
SUSPENSION TRAVEL: 7.5″ (190mm) front and rear
WHEELBASE: 62.2″
GROUND CLEARANCE: 8.3″
LENGTH: 89.2″
SEAT HEIGHT (HIGH/LOW SEAT): 32.7″ to 35.2" (31.1" with 180lb rider)
FRONT TIRE: 120/70R19
REAR TIRE: 170/60R17
FRONT WHEEL: 19″ x 3″ Cast Aluminum, satin black (Anodized aluminum tubeless spoke wheels optional)
REAR WHEEL: 17″ x 4.5″ Cast Aluminum, satin black (Anodized aluminum tubeless spoke wheels optional)
FRONT BRAKE: 320mm twin discs. Radially mounted, monoblock, 4-piston caliper, with cornering ABS
REAR BRAKE: 280mm disc. Floating single piston caliper, with cornering ABS
DISPLAY: 6.8″ Touchscreen TFT with Bluetooth
OIL/COOLANT CAPACITY: 4.75 qt. (4.5 l) / 2.32 qt. (2.2 l)
FUEL CAPACITY: 5.6 gal.
FUEL EFFICIENCY: 46 mpg (5.1 l/100 km)
CURB WEIGHT: 534 lb.- Standard; 559 lb.- Special
GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING: 1,003 lb. (455 kg)
WARRANTY: Two year, unlimited mileage
COLORS: Standard: River Rock Gray & Vivid Black. Special: River Rock Dark Gray, Vivid Black, Deadwood Green, Baja Orange & Stone washed White Pearl.
A8QHoJXvn1Q

View the full article