IGNORED

Ilium ills.....bar risers glued forevermore?

ducati2

I recently purchased a 2015 BMW R1200RT that the previous owner had installed the Ilium handlebar risers.  I like them but I have pretty long arms, so I want to pivot them frontwards toward the dash a few degrees.   

In attempting to loosen the lower bolt, I have destroyed two Allen wrenches (see pix attached).  
In attempting to loosen the upper bolts, the bolt will turn somewhat, but so does the handlebar with it,,  levers and all, of course.
These are not left handed screws are they???
Can the risers even pivot? ..assuming I can get the bolts loose.
Assuming it is an issue of too much locktite, any suggestions on how to remove the lower bolt? Kit apparently came with locktite blue, but now wondering if previous owner used locktite RED.  per the Locktite website,  “ this is not a problem, just heat the item with a blowtorch and it will release”.
Ha... I suppose I could also use a match to see if I have any gas in the tank.

128117C8-67C5-49DA-9890-92488516CDFE.jpeg

369CD75F-7F89-49DC-893F-750AE58D0615.jpeg

F8C379D7-3C53-41DA-B6AB-2936227175CD.jpeg

You could try a soldering iron to concentrate heat, a small butane torch, maybe even a heat gun.

Just ordered some hardened Allen wrenches.  Yes I am considering a soldering gun as well.  Anyone know if these ilium items will indeed pivot forward?

Yes.  Once you get the lower bolt loose, it will pivot.  ilium works recommends lining the risers up with the same angle on the bars, but I have seen other set-ups more vertical.   I have mine pretty close to the same angle as yours.

As noted I believe the risers are designed to be mounted lined up with the bars but suppose you may be able to tilt them a small amount. 

Regarding the bolt removal issue I would simply give them a call.  Most times I have called either Ron or John answered the phone and are always very helpful.  Since they designed the products they would be the most knowledgable to answer your question. 

John Ranalletta
10 hours ago, ducati2 said:

I recently purchased a 2015 BMW R1200RT that the previous owner had installed the Ilium handlebar risers.  I like them but I have pretty long arms, so I want to pivot them frontwards toward the dash a few degrees.   

In attempting to loosen the lower bolt, I have destroyed two Allen wrenches (see pix attached).  
In attempting to loosen the upper bolts, the bolt will turn somewhat, but so does the handlebar with it,,  levers and all, of course.
These are not left handed screws are they???
Can the risers even pivot? ..assuming I can get the bolts loose.
Assuming it is an issue of too much locktite, any suggestions on how to remove the lower bolt? Kit apparently came with locktite blue, but now wondering if previous owner used locktite RED.  per the Locktite website,  “ this is not a problem, just heat the item with a blowtorch and it will release”.
Ha... I suppose I could also use a match to see if I have any gas in the tank.

128117C8-67C5-49DA-9890-92488516CDFE.jpeg

369CD75F-7F89-49DC-893F-750AE58D0615.jpeg

F8C379D7-3C53-41DA-B6AB-2936227175CD.jpeg

There's a possibility the person installed them with Red Threadlocker.  Can you contact that person to find out?  If so, here's a primer on loosening. https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/insights/all-insights/blog/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker.html

You forced me to take a look at my risers, to verify that they were Allen heads, and not Torx.  Mine are 6mm Allen heads.  And yes, the risers do rotate a bit, when loose.

I have sets of Allen bits and Torx bits that are driven by a 3/8” ratchet wrench.  I have no problem with those bolts.  If the PO used red locktite, I think I would use an electric heat gun to melt the bond, and wrap the delicate parts with a wet towel while applying the heat.

cap

OP follow-up -   I used a pen torch to heat the head of the top level bolt, then removed the handlebars with controls.   I carefully let them hang while I did the same heat treatment to the lower bolt and adjusted them where I wanted them.   Reinstalled top and I am good to go.    FYI the threadlock the PO used was WHITE and seemed powder-like.    Never seen that stuff before.    

23 minutes ago, ducati2 said:

OP follow-up -   I used a pen torch to heat the head of the top level bolt, then removed the handlebars with controls.   I carefully let them hang while I did the same heat treatment to the lower bolt and adjusted them where I wanted them.   Reinstalled top and I am good to go.    FYI the threadlock the PO used was WHITE and seemed powder-like.    Never seen that stuff before.    

Afternoon ducati2

Could have been   Permatex White High Strength Threadlocker. 

realshelby

I use a few "uncommon" types of threadlocker and bushing stabilizing compounds here. Green, red, blue, etc. They all turn white ( more or less ) when heated and the part removed. They do tend to turn to a powder. Not sure if the heat does that or what. 

These compounds are simply amazing in how well they work when applied correctly!

I don't think heat turns them to powder, the liquid hardens over time, and when removed, the "block" of locker is broken up, turning to powder. Were it used on really large threads, it may have bigger pieces along with the powder, but small threads just break it up into powder.

When re-using those bolts, I always try to clean as much of the old stuff off, with a wire brush or grinding wheel, and clean the inside threads as well, a Q tip and brake cleaner, or often with a rethreader.