Dave_in_TX

Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways

Dave_in_TX

Is anyone familiar with these roads? I am considering these roads on the way to or from the MOA rally in Great Falls.

mickeym3

They are awesome, Beartooth goes up to 11,000 feet so you have to be prepared for anything, especially in June. You’ll need to verify they are open, lots of snow up there. Easily two of the top rides in North America. 

• Like 1

MikeB60

Dont miss either, true gems. West side of Chief Joseph. 

20180727_113602.thumb.jpg.b69eb7e2bae853e1a2c56a92b3c43c5d.jpg

Edited by MikeB60
Photo
  • Like 1

John Ranalletta

• Like 1

Patallaire

You must do this ride if you are out there.  Stunning and not very technical, you can move along on it if you chose.  Also if you are out there, check out Jackson Hole and teh Million Dollar Bar.  

Dave_in_TX

I rode Beartooth about 30 years ago but the only details I remember are coming down the switchbacks into Red Lodge in the rain. Anyone have any idea regarding driving time?

Red
6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

That wasn't even the good stuff!  This is going up the south side.  It gets better near the top and gets positively challenging on the north side.  I like to do the really twisty stuff going up hill as gravity is your friend while climbing.  For that reason, when I have the opportunity, I like to do the Beartooth from north to south.

Hosstage

As everybody has said, they are a must if in the area, just a lot of fun!

Rinkydink

Yep, do both. The overlook on Chief Joseph has hungry chipmunks so bring snacks for them!!

Rob Nowell
  • In 2016, I believe it was, we got waylaid coming out of Jackson because all of Jellystone Park was closed due to snow.  We had to go to Cody and around in order to get up to Belgrade.  Oh, did I mention it was mid-July?  I think Cody to Red Lodge takes about two hours.  Take your time and plan for pull-outs to take some pics or just to enjoy the view.  I'll be up there on July 2 myself (hopefully!)

RandyShields

5 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

In 2016, I believe it was, we got waylaid coming out of Jackson because all of Jellystone Park was closed due to snow. 

So no Yogi Bear or Boo Boo sightings? :)

John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

So no Yogi Bear or Boo Boo sightings? :)

or bison?

Rob Nowell
16 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

or bison?

when we stopped for lunch last year (by car) in Cooke City , there was a bison hanging out in town, just like he owned the place!

Rob Nowell
On 5/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, Rinkydink said:

Yep, do both. The overlook on Chief Joseph has hungry chipmunks so bring snacks for them!!

I have never seen chipmunks do damn big!!!  Chip & Dale on steroids!!!

• Like 1