IGNORED

What Marty may have seen......

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Marty tells us about places he's visited these past days in Italy. Perugia, Orvieto, Assisi, Foligno...... Nina and I spent some time with friends there not long ago (October 2004) and I thought it would be nice to 'illustrate' some of Marty's 'ways'.....

This is Perugia, a wonderful old town with a huge castle carved INSIDE a rock face..... among many other things. There are also remains from the Romans there... of course...

69514696-L.jpg

The little 'bridge' at the bottom of those stairs was actually an 'aquaduct' in Roman times... it is now changed into a walkway high above the old streets....

69514700-L.jpg

A picture taking from the aquaduct looking back atthe old city entrance....

69514707-L.jpg

Street below......

69514715-L.jpg

Notice the 'sienna' colors of the houses in this part of the city?

69514722-L.jpg

....versus the grey and rather dull colors at the stony 'inside' of the old city...

69514726-L.jpg

I was glas my car was not park wrong... this traffic warden doesn't look all too happy.... perhaps she was on a diet ?

69514734-L.jpg

69514742-L.jpg

69514747-L.jpg

Then on to Assisi.... the famous place where the Franciscan Ordre was founded. It was badly damaged during a heavy earth quake back in the 90's and repairs are still on-going.

69514753-L.jpg

'Main street' leading to one of the main entrances (tower gate just visible at the end)....

69514759-L.jpg

Looking out over the Umbrian landscape...... we were there pretty late in the afternoon unfortunately. Perhaps Marty has better pictures.... otherwise we'll have to re-visit !

69514766-L.jpg

Awesome views and when you close your eyes partly, you can easily envisage yourself being back in the Middle Ages.....

69514770-L.jpg

69514782-L.jpg

69514789-L.jpg

69514793-L.jpg

69514797-L.jpg

69514806-L.jpg

69514816-L.jpg

69514820-L.jpg

Hopefully we get some 'recent' pictures in a few weeks.... wink.gif

2 Thoughts:

1: Thank you, Francois for posting the "Illustrated Guide to Marty's Euro Trip." Great photos.

2: I think Marty's getting a little spoiled. He has his own picture poster?! I know he mentioned on the blog that he was a little lazy to take pictures, but this is too much! grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

yeah, I spoil him to death...... and then he may take my RT apart and fix it.... grin.gifgrin.gif

From all the ridin' I've seen you do, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it! But, it's always good to have a good mechanic on "retainer." thumbsup.gif

RichEdwards

I been to all those spots. I look forward to doing it again on a motorcycle (and not with a retired teacher tour. crazy.gif)

Francois_Dumas

Sounds like yo've been around Rich.. it is a beautiful part of the country isn't it? thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the preview, Assisi is one of my planned destinations onmy September trip, along with Lucca and Vicenza.

The rest is pretty open.

Thanks again, I'm starting to get wound up about the trip.

pete

Francois_Dumas

Thanks again, I'm starting to get wound up about the trip.

pete

I know I would !! smile.gif Have you been in the area before ?

I've been twice to Florence. Stayed two weeks both times and used it as a base to visit Pisa, Siena, Ravenna etc.

I've always relied on the rail system, not able to get a bike over there yet. This time I'm going to rent a car to visit Vinci, Montepulcisno, Montalcino and some other places that would be difficult by rail.

So I'm very interested in Marty's trip. The logistics, etc. For it to be economically feasable for me I'll have to leave a bike over there for at least two years so I can spread the costs over st least two trips. Knopftours sounds like my only option but I'd love to find someplace nearer to Italy to rent me some storage(HINT...HINT) wink.gif

...or someone who could make arrangements to have the bike delivered to me in Milan, or Florence, etc. for a fee.

pete

Jacqueline

Francois,

Thank you for those beautiful pictures thumbsup.gif. Marty's to lazy to snap and post a few pictures eek.gif, next you'll tell us you're riding Marty around on the back of your bike grin.gif. Marty...plan you're trip....you can stay at home and I'll go on it for you thumbsup.gif.

Jacqueline

Francois, thanks for the great pics! I'll be heading to Rome and up towards Assisi and Sienna for Il Palio this August. Looking forward to it more and more as the Marty recce continues.

Thad

Last year on 5/16 I was getting on a plane with my wife, daughter and brother and heading for Rome. The pictures make me long for Italy.

Jacqueline
grin.gif Good one Jacqueline..... wink.gif

Yeah, she used to be a friend of mine. dopeslap.gif

Come on Marty....I'm just jealous blush.gif. You're getting to see such beautiful places and you're not sharing. dopeslap.gif

Francois_Dumas

Dont forget to read his Blog, Jacqueline, where he is ALSO not writing ... <grin>.

(Now, where did I put those pictures of where Marty is going next...... )

Don't be jealous Jacqueline, Marty is old and won't remember anything about the trip 2 weeks after he's back. That's why he rides all the time. Right Marty? wave.gif

Archived