IGNORED

Kawasaki KLX 300 Dual Sport and KLX 300 Supermoto Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

Kawasaki KLX 300 SM 2021 Review

Kawasaki has always aimed to grow the sport by making motorcycles that are affordable, reliable, and high-performance. The latest offerings are the KLX300 and KLX300SM. In the lightweight dual-sport category, the KLX300 offers best-in-class engine displacement, the longest front suspension travel and most adjustable rear suspension. The bike is designed to be light and affordable, while offering an experience similar to heavier, more expensive dual-sports. The fact that they sell for under $6,000 should pique any rider’s interest.

Mother often said, “You can’t have your cake and eat it too.” But, if I can have more than one at a time, that’s a sweeter cake!

Kawasaki KLX300 Review FB

Over the last eight years, most of my riding has been dual-sport and adventure touring. Riding both on and off road, tackling any type of terrain on just one motorcycle is the best of both worlds. So when I was invited to Kawasaki’s KLX300 (dual-sport) and KLX300SM (supermoto) launch, I couldn’t get there fast enough. The event took place in Folsom, California, nestled in the Sierra Nevada foothills, with some of the best backroads the state has to offer. Two full days of riding were planned, the first on the dual-sport, the next on the supermoto.

When I swung a leg over, the smile was instantaneous. Obviously the KLX300 comes in Lime Green, but the model I straddled was the stealthy Fragment Camo Gray, with matching black frame and rims. I comfortably touched a toe on one side, despite my 28-inch inseam challenging the seat height of 35.2 inches.

The relaxed, upright riding position includes high and wide handlebars. Switching the key illuminates an easy-to-read, orange back-lit digital dash which, while largely unchanged, is still a welcome improvement over the very basic and dated gauges often found on bikes this size and pricepoint. 

Kawasaki KLX300 Review 1

We rode some highway to get to the good stuff and right away I was impressed by the power of the KLX300, as I was able to keep up with the flow of traffic. Power came on smooth and steady, partially due to an engine larger than the outgoing 250. As we made our way onto twisty back roads, I noticed the bike felt lighter than the stated 302 lb. And in the dirt, the KLX300 really surprised me. It soaked up the rough terrain extremely well with its 21-inch front wheel and class-leading 10 inches of travel. We tackled a variety of terrain with sand, mud, rocks and gravel, as well as plenty of logs, ruts, water crossings and stone ledges.

Kawasaki KLX300 Review log

The following day, I had as much fun on the KLX300 supermoto as I did on the dual-sport, possibly more. Whatever it is about supermoto-style motorcycles, they bring out the hooligan in me. The KLX300SM was a blast on curvy back roads, but before I had time to seek out unique terrain, we arrived at the track, which doubled the fun.

Kawasaki KLX300 Review SM

Both days were loads of fun. The KLX300 offers wide versatility and will thrill veterans and new riders alike, on or off road. The KLX300SM is masterful in the canyons or on the track—a great platform for shorter rides and longer days of paved exploration. The combination of superb functionality, wide target market and low price is why dealers are struggling to keep them in stock, and why both deserve a look.

• Engine and Power

Both models share the new 292cc powerplant, a fuel-injected, four-stroke, liquid-cooled single, with DOHC and four valves per cylinder. The dual-sport model has a shorter 14/40 drive ratio, providing more access to down-low torque where it’s needed off road. When it comes to top end, the 14/37 gear ratio found on the street-oriented supermoto makes high-speed riding more enjoyable. Both are mated to a simple but functional six-speed transmission.

Kawasaki KLX300 Review engine

Power delivery on the updated engine is smooth though underwhelming when compared to larger motors, so new riders shouldn’t need to worry about accidental wheelies or whisky throttle. Vibration was heavier on the dual-sport, especially through the footpegs, perhaps because the supermoto features rubber footpegs.

Wide open, I was able to reach 82 mph on the KLX300 and 87 mph on the KLX300SM. Respectable for brief highway stints, but don’t expect much passing power. With that little 300 working so hard, they also updated the radiator for better cooling. Also, those of you who remember riding Kawasaki's carburated KLX 250 S, will be happy to know the FI system introduced a few years ago starts right up.

• Braking and Suspension

Designed to be compact and responsive with a light weight, the dual-sport features a short 56.7-inch wheelbase and 10.8 inches of ground clearance. The SM has a slightly shorter 56.5-inch wheelbase and an expectedly lower ground clearance at 9.3 inches.

Kawasaki KLX300 Review chassis

Both front and rear brakes worked well in a varitey of conidtions and didn't offer any surprises. The front brakes are slightly larger on the SM moving to a 300mm rotor instead of 240mm. For those who have not ridden a supermoto, they are crazy fun to ride and the front braking performace will often leave a strong impression!

Kawasaki KLX300 SM 2021 RearBrake

The bikes are sprung on a 16-way adjustable, 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork. The KLX300 provides 10 inches of travel, while the street-oriented SM has 9.1 inches. Both come with a gas-charged shock in the rear, with 20-way compression and 30-way rebound dampening adjustability, and 9.1 and 8.1 inches of travel, respectively.

Kawasaki KLX300 SM 2021 Shock

While adjustable stock suspension has certainly become a welcome trend over the years, that’s a lot of adjustability for a motorcycle at this price point. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these bikes soak up bumps, including rocks and potholes. Again the SM version bumps up the spring rates for a firmer ride, usually on smoother surfaces.  Heavier and more technical riders may like the firmer ride.  We had great luck with turning a KLX250SF into a 19/17 dual-sport years ago and loved the result.

ADVMoto KLX250SF

• Instruments and Styling:

Not much has changed in terms of styling. Both have a simple but effective instrument cluster displaying all the expected information in an easy-to-read digital format. The KLX300 gets an orange backlight, the SM blue. Both feature aggressive styling in the headlight and front cowling, with the supermoto being a bit more aggressive with its shorter and wider front fender.

Both come in Kawasaki lime green, while the supermoto is also offered in “Oriental Blue” and the dual-sport in “Fragment Camo.” The nature of a dual-sport allows many different tasks for different kinds of riders. Kawasaki indicated their primarily target market is experienced dirt riders seeking affordable and capable street bikes. The design team also focused on features that would make these models appealing to new riders and commuters.

Kawasaki KLX300 Review dash

Ultimatley this has proven to be a nice update to what was already a capable bike. We don't hear much about it, but it is a tough competitor to bikes like Honda's CRF250L and may be more in line with Yamaha's venerable WR250R which may be replaced soon.  Almost nobody complains about a little more power at this displacement level so if you were curious about downsizing or getting into dual-sport riding for the first time, be sure to check out the latest version of the KLX300.  Between the standard and supermoto versions, you're bound to find something that puts a smile on your face!

For more info, visit Kawasaki's KLX300 page! Kawasaki.com

MSRP: KLX300—$5,599 (Lime Green) or $5,799 (Fragment Camo) | Supermoto—$5,999.00 (either color)

Kawasaki KLX300 SM 2021 CS2

PROS:

• Great bang for your buck
  • Adjustable suspension with plenty of travel
  • Electric start
  • Confidence-inspiring seat height

CONS:

• Seat tug strap placement is uncomfortable
  • Dash display is not LED, causing the battery to die if key is left in the on position for any length of time
  • No hazard lights

• 2021 KLX 300 and 300 SM Specifications and Model Comparison:

ENGINE: 4-stroke, 1-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valves, liquid-cooled
DISPLACEMENT: 292cc
BORE X STROKE: 78.0 x 61.2mm
COMPRESSION RATIO: 11.1:1
FUEL SYSTEM: DFI® with 34mm throttle body
TRANSMISSION: 6 speed
FINAL DRIVE:  520 chain
RAKE/TRAIL: 26.7°/4.2 in
FRONT TIRE: 3.00-21
REAR TIRE: 4.60-18
FRONT SUSPENSION: 43mm USD Cartridge Fork,  16-way Compression Adjustment w/ 10 in travel
REAR SUSPENSION: Uni-Trak with Adj. Preload, 16-way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment w/ 9.1 in travel
WHEELBASE: 56.7 in
FRONT BRAKE: 250mm single disc
REAR BRAKE: 240mm single disc
FUEL CAPACITY: 2.0 gal
GROUND CLEARANCE: 10.8 in
SEAT HEIGHT: 35.2 in
CURB WEIGHT: 304.3 lb

KLX300 KLX300SM
FRONT ROTOR: 250mm 300mm
REAR ROTOR: 240mm 240mm
FRONT TIRE: 3.0x21 110/70-17
REAR TIRE: 4.6x18 130/70-17